New Shirt 2016-17

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just been in the club shop this morning. Latics have rubber stamped the kits ages ago and it's sports direct dragging their feet. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of the fiasco that was the launch last year

Still waiting?

I've just ordered an Eintracht Frankfurt shirt instead.

The all white with an Alfa Romeo sponsor for the away kit is ridiculously nice but can't purchase it online anywhere. But you can purchase one without the sponsor? Strange

This is GroundHog day - and sadly I think we have lost any chance of having an iconic and recognisable kit.

For that you have to have a design and stick to it, with changes that being honest from a stand to pitch distance you cannot see on the replacement cycle. You might be able to get away with a minor variation on that for one year, but that's about your lot e.g. Man Utd = all red shirts (with some detailing in white/red/black), white shorts, black socks.

The problem Latics have is that in the time I been watching (and then looking back before that), the only really endearing aspect of our kit is that blue forms a significant part of it. Other than that its been all change - particularly in the living memory of most football fans - and there appears to be no appetite from the club to stick to a single basic format; or agreement between fans as to what that should be.

Socks - have been a combination of 1 or 2 of the following 3 colours over the years: white / blue / red

Shorts - have been white or blue, with or without detailing colours that include white / blue and red.

Tops - For the most part predominantly blue, but with detailing in white and/or red. Though we had a few seasons at the start of this century where there was a significant amount of white when we tried to go back to the design from the 50s/60s. Other notable kits are the tangerine from the 60s and the red/blue hoop centenary one.

So Oldham might be all blue with red detailing - or we might be blue tops and white shorts with no red in the details. Or white and blue tops. Or.....you get the picture.

Ken bates tried to create a distinctive look with the tangerine - and given that the chants and fondness from some on here - that might have worked had we stuck to it for the last 40 years. Going back to the 60s blue / white panels might work, but I think that would be too much open to interpretation from manufacturers that it would end up varying too much and fail.

I think we are stuck with being mostly blue and generally forgettable. Like many clubs.

If you change kits a lot, with many varied designs, you lose any idea of a consistent identity (as Scapegoat says), and you run the risk of annoying fans who think you're moneygrabbing.

If you don't change the kits much (or change them only in small ways), you might have more of an identity but there's less reason for fans to want to go and buy a new one, so you could lose on sales. (Particularly a problem for smaller clubs who can't rely on sales through vast numbers of outlets worldwide to soak up the manufacturing costs.)

If you create a visually distinctive kit, you run the risk of dividing fans and losing sales. ("I wouldn't wear that, it's horrible!")

If you create a simple, bland kit, you run the risk of boring fans and losing sales. ("Meh, just boring and forgettable and like everyone else's.")

Plus smaller clubs are, I assume, constrained in having to use the template kits the larger manufacturers with the better distribution deals offer. Harder to demand a unique, customised look when you're not ordering in vast quantities.

In short: damned if you do, damned if you don't. No easy answer.

If you change kits a lot, with many varied designs, you lose any idea of a consistent identity (as Scapegoat says), and you run the risk of annoying fans who think you're moneygrabbing.

If you don't change the kits much (or change them only in small ways), you might have more of an identity but there's less reason for fans to want to go and buy a new one, so you could lose on sales. (Particularly a problem for smaller clubs who can't rely on sales through vast numbers of outlets worldwide to soak up the manufacturing costs.)

If you create a visually distinctive kit, you run the risk of dividing fans and losing sales. ("I wouldn't wear that, it's horrible!")

If you create a simple, bland kit, you run the risk of boring fans and losing sales. ("Meh, just boring and forgettable and like everyone else's.")

Plus smaller clubs are, I assume, constrained in having to use the template kits the larger manufacturers with the better distribution deals offer. Harder to demand a unique, customised look when you're not ordering in vast quantities.

In short: damned if you do, damned if you don't. No easy answer.

Some non league clubs have superb distinctive kits and manage ok, why can't we?

Some non league clubs have superb distinctive kits and manage ok, why can't we?

Don't know. Are they the same colours/design they've used for years? Do they sell many of them? If they're not fussed about selling many maybe they got more experimental and used smaller manufacturers willing to customise more. We could do that but imagine how many would complain...

Don't know. Are they the same colours/design they've used for years? Do they sell many of them? If they're not fussed about selling many maybe they got more experimental and used smaller manufacturers willing to customise more. We could do that but imagine how many would complain...

Yeovil Town kits have always sold well, even in their non league days, and that's basically a green and white a design they are known for. IMO we need a kit that identifies us from the rest.

I'll go back to this: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

What it shows is that for over 40 years from 1920 to 1966, apart from the red and white hoops just after the war and the Arsenal style from 1957 to 1960, the Latics kit was so distinctive and unusual. There were minor tweaks, such as the socks and changing from white to blue shorts, but it stayed pretty much the same.

Latics only changed to an all blue kit and its variations after the tangerine bit the dust.

Carlisle United have a Sondico kit, but look at theirs from 2014 to 2016 http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Carlisle_United/Carlisle_United.htm I don't think that's a standard kit by any means. The same goes for (and I'm sorry for this!) the Dongs in 2013-14 http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Milton_Keynes_Dons/Milton_Keynes_Dons.htm Again, not bog standard.

And then, you have Gillingham, who have often produced their own brand, so I imagine they could design what they wanted. Kit produced by GFC, but I assume they had to have someone manufacture it for them. It goes to show that lower league clubs don't have to have an "off the shelf" kit. Why should Latics?

Cue answers slagging off the Board in general and SC in particular. At least it gives us summat to think about while we wait for a new manager and about 18 or 19 players.

• 5 weeks later...

"The Oldham Athletic 2016/17 home and away kits will be launched tomorrow morning (Friday, July 8) on the club’s website at 10am."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/201617-kit-launched-tomorrow-morning-3172920.aspx

Is everyone excited?

:wink:

Wonder when the squad photo will be taken?

Will the manager be allowed in the squad photo or will we have one with Corney front row like last season 'just in case'