Jamie Reckford

I'd imagine that when you look at how many times we'd have cashed in on a player by having a longer contract in place, versus how many times we've been lumbered paying wages for a player who we can't get shot of, the gamble of oiffering shorter deals seems like the safer option. I'd speculate that if we stumbled across a genuine talent we'd still offer a longer deal, but for everyone else we're taking the chance that we won't really miss out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of these seem to be based on appearance and performance related contract extensions. About time we made players earn a new deal instead of giving out 2/3 year deals.

Performance? How would that work - it's totally subjective? That would basically be a contract which the club has the option to terminate at a given point.

If they get higher than a 7.12 average rating over the seaso-- what do you mean, this isn't Football Manager?

"We're releasing you; you've been :censored:."

"I've had a good season."

":censored:e..."

"I've scored 30 goals from full back."

"You're there to defend..."

"But I was in the PFA's team of the season."

"Goodbye."

However, I am worried we are only offering one year deals

My worry rather we try get players on 2 years deal set the foundations do build a team that an carry us forward rather than be broke up or replaced with more short term deals.

I know. I envisage Reckord and Woodland as fringe players.

The Motherwell trio likely to be starters.

Can't disagree, Woodland looks to be a come and prove yourself signing. He makes up the numbers and will be a steady Eddie if needed.

My worry rather we try get players on 2 years deal set the foundations do build a team that an carry us forward rather than be broke up or replaced with more short term deals.

TBF Tom, we had players tied down on 2 year contracts recently and look what the last 2 years have been like. Perhaps if the potential is there we could offer them an extension to the 12 month contract.

A different set up managerial wise might be the catalyst to a more successful team, we shall have to wait and see.

*Maybe Corneys put a restriction on no longer than 12 month deals which is what has put so many managers off...experienced managers (Evans & Sheridan) would quite rightly be suspicious of that...

*Pure speculation

Edited by Blue_Guru

*Maybe Corneys put a restriction on no longer than 12 month deals which is what has put so many managers off...experienced managers (Evans & Sheridan) would quite rightly be suspicious of that...

*Pure speculation

Or is it, "Look here, son. You've got a 1 year deal. It's up to you to work your bollocks off if you want to earn another one. If you don't, you're looking for another club in 12 months' time. Unless we ship you out beforehand if we have to. It's in your court."

Or is it, "Look here, son. You've got a 1 year deal. It's up to you to work your bollocks off if you want to earn another one. If you don't, you're looking for another club in 12 months' time. Unless we ship you out beforehand if we have to. It's in your court."

But then any player who earns his crust will always have better offers than us...silly really

It seems that now we have a couple of new full backs some of our more inbred fans have taken to tweeting abuse at Connor Brown.

You don't have rate him (everyone knows my feelings) but until the club says otherwise he is an Oldham player and doesn't deserve that, idiots!

Edited by palmer1

It seems that now we have a couple of new full backs some of our more inbred fans have taken to tweeting abuse at Connor Brown.

You don't have rate him (everyone knows my feelings) but until the club says otherwise he is an Oldham player and doesn't deserve that, idiots!

:censored: is what they are