The season ahead

I know what you're saying, but it's Droylsden. And I also know you'll say Jamie Vardy was playing non-league 5 years ago, but for every Jamie Vardy, there are 100 Jody Banim's...

Only seen them once of course and will need another look against different opposition, but the basic qualities were definately there.

When I sit up and take note they usually have something worth following up. No one would give midfielders name, said they were sworn to secrecy.

PS.Jody Banin had it all except the fitness required, a truly gifted and skilful player, but a talent not put to its best use. At 38yo he's playing at a higher level than Fylde today and can still prise open defences.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to the manager's interview. Turns out he's well aware that we need to add pace and creativity going forward and he's looking at signing those types of players.

Good news. After reading this thread I presumed our recruitment was finished.

As for the season, as long as we keep improving and finish strongly rather than fading away then I'd be happy with that. With the way the management team is set up I'm much more confident than I was at this time last year, even though I do think it will be a difficult first part of the season.

Out of interest who would your 8 starters be, I'd say Ripley/Kettings, , Edmondson, Clarke, Flynn and Erwin would be in my 11, the rest haven't shown enough so far.

8 starters....Ripley, Reckford, Clarke, Burgess, Flynn, Klok, Croft, McKay. On performances I'd add Mantack, but a bit risky. Definitely a fast winger, a creative midfielder and a striker needed.

Out of interest who would your 8 starters be, I'd say Ripley/Kettings, , Edmondson, Clarke, Flynn and Erwin would be in my 11, the rest haven't shown enough so far.

My team would probably be:

GK - Ripley

RB - Mantack

CB - Clarke

CB - Burgess

LB - New Signing

RW - Winchester

CM - Banks

CM - Flynn

LW - New Signing

ST - New Signing

ST - McKay

Retaining Kelly or Dieng was imperative to me, both will be tough to replace.

Agree. Kelly is more crucial to replace in the short term imo and while Klok might do well I'm not expecting him to have the same impact.

I'm very surprised we didn't do more to keep Dieng. I could've seen him being a 6 figure sale within the next 12 months at the rate he was developing.

Because that's where Robinson has played him all pre-season so that's where I guess he will want to play him? I hope this goes some way to clarifying what I understand is a very confusing situation.

So would your Englnd team have Rooney in central midfield just because Hodgson played him there at the Euro's?

Interesting how Josh Law seems to have dropped out of the reckoning by some.

From the two home friendlies so far, I've forgotten he was playing. Definitely not a wing-back. Looked a bit better playing as a normal full-back when we've gone 4-4-2.

I know what you're saying, but it's Droylsden. And I also know you'll say Jamie Vardy was playing non-league 5 years ago, but for every Jamie Vardy, there are 100 Jody Banim's...

Banim had more ability than any of our permanent strikers last term...

So would your Englnd team have Rooney in central midfield just because Hodgson played him there at the Euro's?

Rooney wouldn't be in my England team, Sams should start afresh, but he will pick the same Euro failures and then wonder during the WC finals (if we get there) where its all gone wrong.

Edited by BP1960