The season ahead

Sam :censored:ing Allardyce. Really! Let's step back in time, yet again. We'll have Carroll upfront. He'll get Crouch up there as well and have three high energy average players in midfield. Noble, Cattermole and some other dirty little :censored:. He'll even bring that Defoe back to play off the two giants. Four brick :censored:houses at the back.

It's going to be dull, very dull. It couldn't get much worse, but it will now.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam :censored:ing Allardyce. Really! Let's step back in time, yet again. We'll have Carroll upfront. He'll get Crouch up there as well and have three high energy average players in midfield. Noble, Cattermole and some other dirty little :censored:. He'll even bring that Defoe back to play off the two giants. Four brick :censored:houses at the back.

It's going to be dull, very dull. It couldn't get much worse, but it will now.

You do him a major injustice...he finds a formula that does the best job at the club that he is at and has proven it on more than one occasion. He has never had the talent at his disposal that he will have with the England squad so how can you judge him on his (successful) managerial career.

Townsend would of made an impact, it was Roys loyalty to out of form players like Rooney, Wiltshire and Kane that really cost us as well as the senseless decision of making 8 changes for the last group game.

Really, 25 in 38 last season, i would say he was quite the opposite.

BTW, agree on Townsend, it was a ridiculous idea to take 1 (:censored:) winger to france when one of your formations involves 2 wingers......

He stuck with Kane as well as let him take nearly every set piece when he had clearly gone off the boil, he went there as a form player but the long season had clearly taken its toll on him and he wasn't up to it. Right till the end Roy couldn't see it.

He stuck with Kane as well as let him take nearly every set piece when he had clearly gone off the boil, he went there as a form player but the long season had clearly taken its toll on him and he wasn't up to it. Right till the end Roy couldn't see it.

Don't get me started on the set pieces but i understand why he stuck with Kane, i'd have done the same. He was our first choice striker, the best in the air and at hold up play which were essential with the formation we were going with. There's a million things you can criticise hodgson for, I don't think sticking with Kane is one of them.

Banim was signed by Nigel Clough for Burton Albion in his first stint there as manager.....

Yep. Shame he never had the physique for the game at a higher level for whatever reason. The talent was there, that's without doubt.

Bit like Dunn when he played here, stuck out like a sore thumb in terms of ability at the levels he played at.

Yep. Shame he never had the physique for the game at a higher level for whatever reason. The talent was there, that's without doubt.

Bit like Dunn when he played here, stuck out like a sore thumb in terms of ability at the levels he played at.

I listened to Imran Khan the other day and he was saying talent alone may be not enough, he's seen many fall by the wayside who had more natural ability than himself.

Talent plus desire, now that's a combination I always looked for in my scouting days.

Of todays Latics youth crop I'd say Kallum Mantack has a lot going for him on that score.

two full backs who can defend ?

I had said from the start we could do with a left back but Reckord seems to have impressed so far.

Law - I don't know. Jack of all trades may suggest he may need time to adjust to a first choice full back spot.

Personally, I think we're weak all over the pitch, and we'll need a Burton type effort to do okay, unless we bring in a few players with quality before end of the window

two full backs who can defend ?

I had said from the start we could do with a left back but Reckord seems to have impressed so far.

Law - I don't know. Jack of all trades may suggest he may need time to adjust to a first choice full back spot.

Personally, I think we're weak all over the pitch, and we'll need a Burton type effort to do okay, unless we bring in a few players with quality before end of the window

I'd say right back isn't a priority with Law, Mantack, Wilson and Edmundson who can all play there.

Edited by RobOAFC

Guest nonaenever

Wilson too slow and gets exposed at full back - looks much better in centre defence

Law - thus far not been good at all - and yes I know it's early days

Mantack - great prospect - great attacking - not seen enough to assess defensive capabilities

Edmundson - has he played full back yet ?

The way ( a poor) Grimsby were getting crosses in easily today suggest full backs are vulnerable. We'll see.