The season ahead

Think we can get used to regularly being goalless, not that we've already had enough preparation...

There's not enough in that midfield, and probably not enough in that attack.

Can't see any football brains in the squad.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a couple of that lot today are League 1 footballers and they are Flying and Clarke, keeper didn't do much wrong and Edmondson, Erwin and Mantack looked okay but the rest for me where decidedly :censored:e, McKay looked clueless and useless and we offered nothing going forward until Erwin shot straight at their keeper in the 88 th minute, still two weeks to bring in half a dozen and work on things but deary me we were :censored:.

Can't see any football brains in the squad.

If you mean there's nobody to unpick a defence, you're probably right

Holding out hope Mckay is a goalscorer but beyond that there doesn't look to be much directness, simply going off what I've read about this bunch

We shall see over the course of the season but I'm not expecting much

If you mean there's nobody to unpick a defence, you're probably right

Holding out hope Mckay is a goalscorer but beyond that there doesn't look to be much directness, simply going off what I've read about this bunch

We shall see over the course of the season but I'm not expecting much

Saw a lad on trial at Droylsden today (they wouldnt give me his name) with a real football brain, conjured up some brilliant though passes, superb first touch too. I will endeavor to find out more about him. The Droylsden right back was excellent too, up and down all afternoon and very akilful and was told Brentford are interested in him. This against a team higher status than Fylde.

Saw a lad on trial at Droylsden today (they wouldnt give me his name) with a real football brain, conjured up some brilliant though passes, superb first touch too. I will endeavor to find out more about him. The Droylsden right back was excellent too, up and down all afternoon and very akilful and was told Brentford are interested in him. This against a team higher status than Fylde.

Pacey has always had a knack for spotting attacking talent. Done a better job than us of not revealing his identity!

Just saw that Rochdale beat Wigan 4-1 today. Probably doesn't mean much but I'd put money on them finishing above us again...

We need at least two more experienced players, a CM and a CF who can both dominate teams and hold the ball. We seem to have brought in generally mediocre players and no leaders Clarke excepted.

Early days for a new team but a poor start to the season and we could be in deep trouble. Friendlies are irrelevant but performances aren't we shall see!

Pre season friendly results mean nothing. We have used 4 formation and 12 subs in two games. Couple more games till we will see what the players are about. Mantack is a real stand out youth player for me! Would be happy with him anywhere on that right hand side after the two games I have seen. Feel edmunson is better than burgess at centre half at the moment but time will tell. Think McKay and Erwin will be a real handful with more time up top together under their belts.

Kettings very much brought in I feel to warm the bench.

Think with klok and winch in the middle Flynn one side another out and out winger the other side mantack overlapping full back along with reckford think we have the basis of a decent team.

My start would be

Ripley

Reckford

Clarke

Edmunson

Mantack

Flynn

Winch

Klok

Croft

Erwin

McKay

That would be my team as it stands.

Edited by adamoafc

Pacey has always had a knack for spotting attacking talent. Done a better job than us of not revealing his identity!

Just saw that Rochdale beat Wigan 4-1 today. Probably doesn't mean much but I'd put money on them finishing above us again...

I'd put money on any team in the league finishing above us at this rate...

Pre season friendly results mean nothing. We have used 4 formation and 12 subs in two games. Couple more games till we will see what the players are about. Mantack is a real stand out youth player for me! Would be happy with him anywhere on that right hand side after the two games I have seen. Feel edmunson is better than burgess at centre half at the moment but time will tell. Think McKay and Erwin will be a real handful with more time up top together under their belts.

Kettings very much brought in I feel to warm the bench.

Think with klok and winch in the middle Flynn one side another out and out winger the other side mantack overlapping full back along with reckford think we have the basis of a decent team.

My start would be

Ripley

Reckford

Clarke

Edmunson

Mantack

Flynn

Winch

Klok

Croft

Erwin

McKay

That would be my team as it stands.

I agree that it's too early to read into things, but if we start the season with Klok and Winiesta as our first choice midfield 2 I'd be very worried. I think Winch has talent but he's proven far from reliable so far and while Klok may turn out OK we can't expect a player on a 6 month deal with no experience at this level to anchor our midfield for the season. A bruiser with know-how of this division is a definite requirement.

Other areas need strengthening too but the concerning thing with centre mid is that we've already signed a lot of players there but most seem to be squad fillers.

I agree that it's too early to read into things, but if we start the season with Klok and Winiesta as our first choice midfield 2 I'd be very worried. I think Winch has talent but he's proven far from reliable so far and while Klok may turn out OK we can't expect a player on a 6 month deal with no experience at this level to anchor our midfield for the season. A bruiser with know-how of this division is a definite requirement.

Other areas need strengthening too but the concerning thing with centre mid is that we've already signed a lot of players there but most seem to be squad fillers.

This. Someone like Dean Hammond would be ideal.

...or Richard Hammond. He's quick, at least when he's behind a wheel.

I keep saying this. We need another 6-7 players and we need some quality as well as pace. We need another LB and CB, a quality leader in CM and CF and some quality delivery from the flanks. We've done okay in the last two weeks, but we're only just over half way there.

Going to be a long hard season, purely based on the new management team, new squad and us being several weeks behind the other teams. Not many of which will be starting August with at least 8 new players in their teams. Get through this season, hopefully players like Flynn, Banks, Winchester, Edmondson and a few others finish strongly hinting at a more cohesive team going into the 17/18 season.

Lee Croft- 5 goals since 2009 yet some people still love him. Why?

Winchester contributed loads more goals, but we're all unsure.

Connor Brown has scored as many as Croft since he signed for us last.

He is a stealing a living & you're daft for thinking otherwise

Because its only goals that matter. What a ridiculous thing to say.