The "Ollie Banks Signs" Thread

Am I right in thinking that he's one of only two players (the other being Flynn) contracted past the end of the season?

I think that suggests he's going to be a regular starter. Intrigued about how this 3-man midfield will work with the options we have. Do we have the options in terms of physical strength?

There will be very heavy reliance on Winchester, Flynn and Banks to create chances consistently. I'm not sure they're good enough to do that. Wing-backs are the most mythical positions in a football team, and rarely - unless exceptional - produce nearly anything like they're expected to.

23 years old and at his 11th club. That takes some doing.

This isn't a criticism of him as I know nothing about the reasons for his moves. Almost 100 appearances for Chesterfield suggests his career has settled down

Wouldn't read into that. It a regular occurrence in non-league football for players to flit about before settling somewhere and showing their quality.

Look at Scott Hogan, who Rochdale sold for a million. An exceptional footballer but had done the rounds of Tameside non-league - 7 clubs by the age of 22 - before getting a chance in the League.

The majority on Chesterfield's forum are glad to see the back of him.

It would appear that way.... although if you scratch beneath the surface, there seems to be a consensus that he was decent to begin with - until he picked up an injury - and his form was getting better towards the end of last season.

Let's hope some new surroundings encourage him to find some consistency that makes Danny Wilson regret letting him go.

I think that suggests he's going to be a regular starter. Intrigued about how this 3-man midfield will work with the options we have. Do we have the options in terms of physical strength?

There will be very heavy reliance on Winchester, Flynn and Banks to create chances consistently. I'm not sure they're good enough to do that. Wing-backs are the most mythical positions in a football team, and rarely - unless exceptional - produce nearly anything like they're expected to.

Simply, the 3 man midfield won't work IMO.

Quote from an FCUM-supporting mate...

Ollie Banks is a :censored:ing brilliant footballer. Chasterfield fans are ugly morons. He's genuinely the best player I've seen at FC United (I know, right). Graceful, floats over the grass, great eye for a pass. I love him. I love him so hard I'd kiss his head as he slept and wipe the hair from his sweaty brow.

Edited by Crusoe

Quote from an FCUM-supporting mate...

He's correct. His raking diagonals are a joy to behold, very comfortable on the ball - a class above in the Evostik Prem and deserved to step up again to prove himself. Season or so later he came back and played for the Spirites at BP in the FA Cup, again, played very well albeit against a Conference North side that was in disarray at the time. I haven't seen him regularly at L1 level enough to say that's where he belongs, I'd have him back in a flash.