Grimsby (A) 30.07.16

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure we can get too much more patient than waiting until the 20th Feb for our second home win of the season

Simply impossible to say that is what will happen, it might be what you fear, but impossible to say on the evidence so far. Circumstances will dictate.

We don't even know if Stephen Robinson is the next Shez or Darren Kelly, but we've a quarter more team to sign yet.

Simply impossible to say that is what will happen, it might be what you fear, but impossible to say on the evidence so far. Circumstances will dictate.

We don't even know if Stephen Robinson is the next Shez or Darren Kelly, but we've a quarter more team to sign yet.

You have said this twice now but I reckon we are going to get 2 plus Croft max...and if one is fane I doubt he is the game changer people are hoping for. I don't think we have the money to attract these sorts of players.

Guest nonaenever

Just back from Grimsby. I have said on another thread that this is going to be a long, hard season and that people will need to stick by the manager and have patience. Avoiding relegation will be success in view of the farce in close season. IMO we are very weak in the full back positions. One thing that is really baffling me though is that the manager (when first arriving) mentioned recruiting a team/squad with energy and pace - this has to be, on average, the "slowest" Latics team in living memory. We are slow all over the park and that is a major worry. I`m hanging on to the hope that pre-season results mean nothing!

P.S. When will we sign a striker who can actually score goals?

Guest nonaenever

After all the planning pre season with two up front, what's the odds on one up front v Millwall?

Daft as it sounds, I said this today whilst at the game. IF we don't get a winger in who can beat a man and put in a decent cross to feed the strikers - I think he will revert to a packed midfield and try to stifle Millwall. That said, I don't think it will work - I hope I am wrong but we could suffer a bit of a thrashing down there if pre-season is any indication at all - we have been very ineffective throughout.

Just back from Grimsby. I have said on another thread that this is going to be a long, hard season and that people will need to stick by the manager and have patience. Avoiding relegation will be success in view of the farce in close season. IMO we are very weak in the full back positions. One thing that is really baffling me though is that the manager (when first arriving) mentioned recruiting a team/squad with energy and pace - this has to be, on average, the "slowest" Latics team in living memory. We are slow all over the park and that is a major worry. I`m hanging on to the hope that pre-season results mean nothing!

P.S. When will we sign a striker who can actually score goals?

Absolutely spot on re lack of pace. It must be addressed otherwise it will be a fatal Achilles heel

Guest nonaenever

Hope these dropped points in pre season doesn't bite us towards the end of the season. Christ it's going to be a belter on this forum over the season if your all crying over games that mean nowt.

Len - it's not moaning in that sense. I think, having travelled to Grimsby, fans are entitled to give an honest view on what they have seen aren't they? Or are we all supposed to be happy clappers ? I will always support the manager and team and have never booed Latics. We all know it's a difficult task this season - but today was poor against a poor team - simple. Pre-season has offered little glimpse of anything positive except we have 11 men on the pitch. The manager needs time - a lot of it - but he also needs money to recruit the right players. Some of the recruits don't look good enough for our level - having watched footy for an awful long time it's pretty obvious.

Come on ! You could have called at Grimsby on you way to the North East ! Have a good holiday

I know poor effort on my behalf apologies. Once went to Blundell Park and asked the lass in the ticket office for a seat in the F in the Findus stand . She was not impressed.

Also went one up in the first or second minute thru Roger Palmer and lost 4-1. Good fish and chips though

Len - it's not moaning in that sense. I think, having travelled to Grimsby, fans are entitled to give an honest view on what they have seen aren't they? Or are we all supposed to be happy clappers ? I will always support the manager and team and have never booed Latics. We all know it's a difficult task this season - but today was poor against a poor team - simple. Pre-season has offered little glimpse of anything positive except we have 11 men on the pitch. The manager needs time - a lot of it - but he also needs money to recruit the right players. Some of the recruits don't look good enough for our level - having watched footy for an awful long time it's pretty obvious.

Our recruits haven't kicked a ball in anger yet so it's impossible to judge them in training games and that's all these friendly games are gloryfied training sessions.

One thing that is really baffling me though is that the manager (when first arriving) mentioned recruiting a team/squad with energy and pace - this has to be, on average, the "slowest" Latics team in living memory. We are slow all over the park and that is a major worry.

We've had 2 or 3 very quick players season in, season out for years now - Forte being the only I can think of who delivered.

I'm happy to see us try a bit of pedestrian nouse instead,,,

After seeing the first home defeat no real interest in preseason as these professional footballers seem incapable of keeping themselves fit. I've no doubt they are being worked really hard with no time to recover during this run of games so that might explain their lack of pace.

Croft has to be kept on a month by month contract even if that means we might lose him because once he signs long term the balloon will go up!

I expected and got a difficult preseason. I expect a very difficult August - could be bottom come September. I hope to see us improve to our usual 18th by Christmas so we can relax our way to that spot next May.