Grimsby (A) 30.07.16

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read robinson's assessment of this game, it's clear he knows his stuff.

Absolutely spot on in just about every respect.

Now to see if he's got enough about him to fix it.

I have no doubt he will be a fantastic coach and manager. It's not 100% down to him to produce. Corney needs to dig deep and let him bring in a couple of players of quality. The fans also need to get fully behind this project and then finally the players need to listen to him and his staff and give 100% for the cause.

It's a combined effort to be successful. However, we all know that ultimately the buck will stop at Robinson and he will be the one to face the music if we are languishing near the bottom in a few months.

Having read robinson's assessment of this game, it's clear he knows his stuff.

Absolutely spot on in just about every respect.

Now to see if he's got enough about him to fix it.

He says he wants us " to be a second ball team". What do people understand by that?

He says he wants us " to be a second ball team". What do people understand by that?

When there is a 2nd ball to be won he wants us to win it. Long ball, short ball, hoof, it doesn't matter. If you win the majority of 2nd balls you generally dictate the game

When there is a 2nd ball to be won he wants us to win it. Long ball, short ball, hoof, it doesn't matter. If you win the majority of 2nd balls you generally dictate the game

Ummm... I think you tend to dictate the game by having the ball. I would rather we concentated on keeping it rather than trying to get it back having given it away by long ball short ball or hoof? I wish he had described it better...ie out of possession I want us to be an early pressing team seeking to get the ball back early and Spring an attack. Second ball to me means we had the first ball, otherwise why does he not say I want the first ball?

Ummm... I think you tend to dictate the game by having the ball. I would rather we concentated on keeping it rather than trying to get it back having given it away by long ball short ball or hoof? I wish he had described it better...ie out of possession I want us to be an early pressing team seeking to get the ball back early and Spring an attack. Second ball to me means we had the first ball, otherwise why does he not say I want the first ball?

Hmmmm possession? What do you have if you win the majority of 2nd balls?

You are looking far too deep into one sentence. Even if you have the majority of possession in the game their are plenty of 2nd balls to be won. The top half teams win the majority and build from there. We obviously didn't win enough at Grimsby.

If you think it means we had the first ball it's because you've ignored every long ball, goal kick, free kick, throw in & miss placed pass from the opposition which Robbo wants us to be winning.

Edited by palmer1

If we had the first ball then getting the second ball would be a pass no? Does he need to clarify he wants us to pass?

I would have thought it was clear that when talking about 2nd balls he's referring to what we do out of possession.

He was highlighting a failure in the game and that it wasn't what he wanted from the players. Not laying out his tactical plan for the season. That's my interpretation anyway!

Monty isn't far out, I remember one Latics manager used to tell his keeper and defenders to pump the ball in the air down the the middle on to the opposing centre backs heads, there's a 50% chance he reckoned they would head it back toward of one our attackers, we then pick up the second ball and score while they are in disarray (in theory).

Monty isn't far out, I remember one Latics manager used to tell his keeper and defenders to pump the ball in the air down the the middle on to the opposing centre backs heads, there's a 50% chance he reckoned they would head it back toward of one our attackers, we then pick up the second ball and score while they are in disarray (in theory).

What you have done there is selected one phase of play where a 2nd ball may need to be won.

However I think everyone can agree that a 2nd ball will need to be won under many different circumstances including a mis placed pass along the floor.

Has anybody seen a side that constantly plays hoof ball in our warm up games? It that what happened at Grimsby?

What you have done there is selected one phase of play where a 2nd ball may need to be won.

However I think everyone can agree that a 2nd ball will need to be won under many different circumstances including a mis placed pass along the floor.

Has anybody seen a side that constantly plays hoof ball in our warm up games? It that what happened at Grimsby?

I was called hoof ball in the old days, now it's sports science.

For anyone else who wasn't quite sure what "second ball" means.. #amf

https://www.quora.com/What-do-second-and-third-balls-mean-in-soccer

And a not so positive take on it

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2010/december/the-second-ball-game-is-killing-english.html

The media is a wonderful thing but sometimes when we sit in front of our television sets we take in information that may well do more harm than good.

If you are interested in football you will hang on every word the most famous of people in football tell you and believe it. I am sure that in recent years you would have heard many times the words ‘percentage game' and maybe thought ‘hmmm, sounds good to me’ without realising the real meaning of such words, in terms of football.

Behind the words 'percentage game' hides another truth, namely a game which in is reality based on the 'second ball game' and its implications. You may not realise it but most players in Britain play the second ball game to their cost.

Think about this! All too often a coach expects the keeper to kick the ball long, the defender to kick the ball long or the long throw to be taken, and the longer this happens in a game of football in this country someone in another country improves their technical skill level and ultimately leaves England further behind - why?

In countries where the skill level is much higher they expect their players to be on the ball and that mean that the keepers try to find the nearest man and give them the ball. In this country seeing the ball fly high in the sky from the keeper actually reduces the time on the ball for all the players and that does mean that given time our players lose out on the volume of practice they need on the ball to match anyone in other parts of the football world.

If you want our players to match the best players in the world then we must give the young players the opportunity to play the first ball game and that means playing football to improve the young players and not playing football for a result based mentality that’s based on the second ball and all its implications.