Fear Factor at BP

So it seems that every Oldham manager that cant produce attacking confident winning football at Boundary Park thinks it because of a fear of the fans getting on the players backs.

It never seemed to bother an Latics side picked by John Sheridan!?

Have thiese players never played in front of a hostile away crowd? what do they do, lay down and die every game of their career becasue a football fan might jeer them!?

Im sick of this excuse as I know that no matter what every Oldhams fans views may be on here whether we agree or disagree those that go the matches want nothing more than the players and the team to do well.

Why do they never say anything about the tactics being wrong and the system being :censored: and the players having NO :censored:ING GUTS OR HEART FOR THE CHALLENGE!

This seems to be an excuse of every deprated manager over the last 10 years as they dont know how to change it! Steve Robinson has imo put a decent squad together but he probably now has 10 ganmes to sort it because these kind of excuses dont sit well and the fans watching the game are not the problem.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the incompetence factor that is in play here. We complain that the midfield and strikers don't score, but looking at their records none of the midfield have a history of goal scoring, Flynn has a 1 in 10 record, as has Banks,: Croft has played 300 games and scored 15 goals, Winchester scores around 1 in 15 appearances since breaking in to the team. Only McKay has a decent scoring record and we don't seem to play to whatever strengths he had when scoring them, It's been mentioned elsewhere that while having some experienced players at the back and in midfield we have no experienced head up front. Dummigan was brought in as a good prospect but we had cover in his position and a better balance would have been to get an experienced striker instead of a loanee with no football league experience. Finally, confidence is a big thing in football and it's a lack of confidence going forward that has been endemic over the last few seasons rather than fear of the crowd turning - If you want to get the crowd behind you then go for it (like the Royle years when even relegation battling seasons still kept the crowd behind the team).

Robinson never mentioned fear factor. Those words came out of Gordon's mouth about boos etc not SR. To which SR responded they'd love fans to be onside for 90 minutes but the way players played didn't deserve it. People on other thread saying SR has turned on fans when he 100% didn't. He answered a question saying fans pay their money and have every right to make their feelings known

Robinson never mentioned fear factor. Those words came out of Gordon's mouth about boos etc not SR. To which SR responded they'd love fans to be onside for 90 minutes but the way players played didn't deserve it. People on other thread saying SR has turned on fans when he 100% didn't. He answered a question saying fans pay their money and have every right to make their feelings known

SR is very diplomatic, I saw fear when players received the ball, frightened of making a mistake, the hot potato syndrome.

This season is swinging from cliche to cliche

From fans loving Robbo for no reason but talk

To fans being disgruntled with Robbo when he can't walk the talk and comes out with more talk

"Squad needs time to gel"

"Doing a great job with what he's got"

"Man with a plan"

"Hard to beat"

"The NI way"

"Had no pre-season"

"But for ref and bad luck we'd had 12 more points"

"There's a bug going around the players"

"Got no money"

"We should be bottom"

Next it will be the bad weather and the pitch...

It's not the time to be making a change but he needs to change his outlook. He's brought his mates/SPL rejects in, he's repeated they are good players, he's said they won't play as bad as Swindon again and he's not got a clue about how to play a balanced side. Out of the rookies appointed (Dickov, LJ, Kelly, Dunn, Robbo) he is technically the most experienced new manager we've appointed. And looks the least experienced! I just hope he is a quick learner.

Edited by boundaryblue80

SR is very diplomatic, I saw fear when players received the ball, frightened of making a mistake, the hot potato syndrome.

I didn't. I saw players that I've seen from day one...slow to react, terrible first touch (said this a few times on OWTB this season), lacking in intelligence on how to hunt in attack together thus giving the ball away with ease...

Just now people are venting a little more during 90 minutes, people are linking the two together...Peter Clarke doesn't look scared to play the game. All in the mind and sadly, a lot of ours are looking weak in the head.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Correct. Proves the point he isn't actually making, that lots of our fans are pricks. See post 1.

Correct. Proves the point he isn't actually making, that lots of our fans are pricks. See post 1.

why am i prick? because im getting sick of excuses?

when was the last time anybody was entertained by the home team at Boundary Park?

This season is swinging from cliche to cliche

From fans loving Robbo for no reason but talk

To fans being disgruntled with Robbo when he can't walk the talk and comes out with more talk

"Squad needs time to gel"

"Doing a great job with what he's got"

"Man with a plan"

"Hard to beat"

"The NI way"

"Had no pre-season"

"But for ref and bad luck we'd had 12 more points"

"There's a bug going around the players"

"Got no money"

"We should be bottom"

Next it will be the bad weather and the pitch...

It's not the time to be making a change but he needs to change his outlook. He's brought his mates/SPL rejects in, he's repeated they are good players, he's said they won't play as bad as Swindon again and he's not got a clue about how to play a balanced side. Out of the rookies appointed (Dickov, LJ, Kelly, Dunn, Robbo) he is technically the most experienced new manager we've appointed. And looks the least experienced! I just hope he is a quick learner.

The infamous bug seems to have affected Croft, Wilson and now Reckord.

But he has said defence is his priority so it's no wonder his midfielders and strikers think it means they mustn't attack.

Football players are not the brightest, but they will obviously try to do things automatically that they are capable of, eg dribbling and shooting no matter what instructions they may have received plus they will want to compete and to win. I just speculate that they arent that good bar 2 or 3 of them.

Football players are not the brightest, but they will obviously try to do things automatically that they are capable of, eg dribbling and shooting no matter what instructions they may have received plus they will want to compete and to win. I just speculate that they arent that good bar 2 or 3 of them.

But do they compete to win or is not losing the given priority?

But do they compete to win or is not losing the given priority?

Ever since 3 points for a win came in then it has been realised that victories are vital for success and avoiding relegation.

But I do think (from what I hear) that they are set up not to concede and then hopefully score and come away with a 1-0.

If we go 1-0 down one would expect a bit more urgency and a few more players taking their man on, if they have the ability.

It sounds like they dont so (and I never thought that I would ever say this) we need to get Winchester on if the others are not capable.

This forum and social media in general, is a big part of the problem.

The interface between fans and players has changed beyond recognition from what it was not so long ago. The players do read the forums, they do go on Twitter and other social media. They can read for themselves, post-match, the disgraceful abuse that has been directed towards them...personal abuse and utter vile (as per the crucifixion of Adam Rooney} that is sometimes spouted out in the heat of the moment because the fans hide behind their keyboards. The players don't even have the right to defend themselves, they have to put up and shut up.

I would not like to read Twitter and find my work denigrated by some idiots who think they know and can do better, when it's perfectly obvious that they couldn't. Please don't say that they should "Grow a pair" and get on with it. It's so :censored:ing obvious that the buffer between players and fans has been eroded to a ridiculous degree. Everything is media-driven...comments scrutinized, dissected, interpreted, misinterpreted and then flung back in their faces.

It's football. It's just a :censored:ing game of football...get over it. If Latics go down, they go down.

Give the manager another ten games? Why not...let's just do that, then we can get rid and go through the whole debacle again. Latics have very little money, they cannot get the best manager or the best players. Robinson has been here for three months, the team have played 11 league games and a few cup games. In my opinion, that is not even a fraction of the time they need together.

There has been no 'personal abuse' of individual players from what I have seen this season.

I think that I have slagged off Bambi over past seasons well in excess of the total abuse this season for all the players put together.

Danny P got loads of stick on here last season even though he was actually scoring goals. It was peoples opinions.

It is not the supporters fault that monies have been diverted into a Capital project which cannot be finished and we now find ourselves well behind other similar clubs such as Bury and Rochdale. Even Wimbledon Shrewsbury and Fleetwood are well above where we stand financially these days,

This is not the fault of the few remaining loyal fans who I think are some of the most tolerant in the whole country.

So if a striker has played 10 games without scoring a few goals (or even 1) then he deserves to see a lot more stick than I have seen on here

The interface between fans and players has changed beyond recognition from what it was not so long ago. The players do read the forums, they do go on Twitter and other social media. They can read for themselves, post-match, the disgraceful abuse that has been directed towards them...personal abuse and utter vile (as per the crucifixion of Adam Rooney} that is sometimes spouted out in the heat of the moment because the fans hide behind their keyboards. The players don't even have the right to defend themselves, they have to put up and shut up.

I would not like to read Twitter and find my work denigrated by some idiots who think they know and can do better, when it's perfectly obvious that they couldn't. Please don't say that they should "Grow a pair" and get on with it. It's so :censored:ing obvious that the buffer between players and fans has been eroded to a ridiculous degree. Everything is media-driven...comments scrutinized, dissected, interpreted, misinterpreted and then flung back in their faces.

It's football. It's just a :censored:ing game of football...get over it. If Latics go down, they go down.

Give the manager another ten games? Why not...let's just do that, then we can get rid and go through the whole debacle again. Latics have very little money, they cannot get the best manager or the best players. Robinson has been here for three months, the team have played 11 league games and a few cup games. In my opinion, that is not even a fraction of the time they need together.

Spot on this

Footballers in this league probably earn 5 times more a week than the average worker. Plus fans pay up to £25 to watch a game. For this it's not unreasonable for fans to expect a decent performance for 90 minutes of competitive action.

All fans forums are the same if their team or players are regularly losing.

Criticism of performances is one thing though, and vile personal abuse is clearly not acceptable.

This is exactly right

Footballers in this league probably earn 5 times more a week than the average worker. Plus fans pay up to £25 to watch a game. For this it's not unreasonable for fans to expect a decent performance for 90 minutes of competitive action.

Criticism of performances is one thing though, and vile personal abuse is clearly not acceptable.

Absolutely we are bottom of the league and have only scored 5 league goals this season find me a club who's supporters will put up with that. If the players don't like what is on here or social media I suggest they log off.

Average League 1 wage per week last season was £1600. Many on less, some on more. And at Latics a lot on less apparently.

Average wage nationally as calculated by Reed at beginning of tax year 2016/7 was £27000 or £520 per week

Note: Interestingly the average male wage was £30400 ....about £580

Edited by LaticsPete