Fear Factor at BP

It's football. It's just a :censored:ing game of football...get over it.

A game that they spend all week practising, preparing for a match. A game that is their livelihood. A game that they are privileged to play. So why is it that so many cannot... pass to a teammate/trap the ball/tackle/shoot on target/shoot at all...?

So if they turn up and play like they have done for the past two home games we should just get over it? It's only a game after all.

I think not.

As long as the comments do not descend into vitriol or obscenity then the players should expect some adverse reaction.

It has always been this way.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average League 1 wage per week last season was £1600. Many on less, some on more. And at Latics a lot on less apparently.

Average wage nationally as calculated by Reed at beginning of tax year 2016/7 was £27000 or £520 per week

Note: Interestingly the average male wage was £30400 ....about £580

It isn't in Oldham Pete.

Edited by BP1960

This forum and social media in general, is a big part of the problem.

The interface between fans and players has changed beyond recognition from what it was not so long ago. The players do read the forums, they do go on Twitter and other social media. They can read for themselves, post-match, the disgraceful abuse that has been directed towards them...personal abuse and utter vile (as per the crucifixion of Adam Rooney} that is sometimes spouted out in the heat of the moment because the fans hide behind their keyboards. The players don't even have the right to defend themselves, they have to put up and shut up.

I would not like to read Twitter and find my work denigrated by some idiots who think they know and can do better, when it's perfectly obvious that they couldn't. Please don't say that they should "Grow a pair" and get on with it. It's so :censored:ing obvious that the buffer between players and fans has been eroded to a ridiculous degree. Everything is media-driven...comments scrutinized, dissected, interpreted, misinterpreted and then flung back in their faces.

It's football. It's just a :censored:ing game of football...get over it. If Latics go down, they go down.

Give the manager another ten games? Why not...let's just do that, then we can get rid and go through the whole debacle again. Latics have very little money, they cannot get the best manager or the best players. Robinson has been here for three months, the team have played 11 league games and a few cup games. In my opinion, that is not even a fraction of the time they need together.

This may well all be correct, but it's totally irrelevant.

It doesn't explain why Oldham Athletic are :censored: at home while Port Vale and Bury top the home league table.

It doesn't explain why Oldham Athletic are :censored: at home while Port Vale and Bury top the home league table.

Because our players just aren't very good? Because our owner doesn't want to pay for decent quality alternatives?

The interface between fans and players has changed beyond recognition from what it was not so long ago. The players do read the forums, they do go on Twitter and other social media. They can read for themselves, post-match, the disgraceful abuse that has been directed towards them...personal abuse and utter vile (as per the crucifixion of Adam Rooney} that is sometimes spouted out in the heat of the moment because the fans hide behind their keyboards. The players don't even have the right to defend themselves <snip>

Yes they do...they get the chance every time they cross that white line...

The interface between fans and players has changed beyond recognition from what it was not so long ago. The players do read the forums, they do go on Twitter and other social media. They can read for themselves, post-match, the disgraceful abuse that has been directed towards them...personal abuse and utter vile (as per the crucifixion of Adam Rooney} that is sometimes spouted out in the heat of the moment because the fans hide behind their keyboards. The players don't even have the right to defend themselves, they have to put up and shut up.

I would not like to read Twitter and find my work denigrated by some idiots

If you're right (you're not, btw :lol: ) is it not just one more type of pressure for a professional sportsman to handle?

But, even then, they can't avoid having to maintain concentration for 90 minutes in front of thousands of people, they can easily avoid nasty comments on the internet if such comments upset them.

Edited by HarryBosch

I bet the average wage at Bolton is 5k plus a week, even Connor Wilkinson is on 8k which is unbelievable, I'd say average wage at Oldham has probably slipped under 1k a week this season, especially with our bigger earners having near enough all their wages paid by their parent clubs.

I can only presume that Port Vale and Bury don't have an OWTB equivalent. And Port Vale and Bury fans don't use twitter either.

Whats the average salary in the borough of Oldham Dave?

Not a clue. But still doubt many of our lot are earning five times it.

Actually, according to google it is the lowest paid town in the country - £22,127. Point still stands I think.

Edited by Dave_Og

why am i prick? because im getting sick of excuses?

when was the last time anybody was entertained by the home team at Boundary Park?

In this instance because you took the managers words where he said exactly the same as what you are saying, and twisted them to make them into a reason to have a pop at him. There's plenty to moan at yet you went to the effort of inventing new :censored:. Prick behaviour.

In this instance because you took the managers words where he said exactly the same as what you are saying, and twisted them to make them into a reason to have a pop at him. There's plenty to moan at yet you went to the effort of inventing new :censored:. Prick behaviour.

I actually used it to have a pop at several Oldham managers and here's the kicker! I didn't even read the article! However rather than get involved with people thinking it's OK to just keep posting insults (thats the real prick behaviour and this boards full of them) because they don't agree. Im just going to say :censored: you and go about my day! :)