Bristol Rovers (h)

I honestly didn't think it was that bad today. We were utter :censored:e the last two home games I've been to (MK Dons and Swindon) which was why I couldn't be arsed going against Scunny but today was similar to the other home games I've seen. That is, a lot of effort without the goals. I imagine it was a similar performance against Scunny with the goals yet because we won it was a great performance accordingly to some in here. I remember going to Dale two years ago and watching us win 3 nil. We were bang average but some on here seemed to think it was a performance on par with Brazil in the 1970 World Cup Final.

I'm off for my medication now.

Quite a few people seem to be viewing "effort", passing it about nicely, "dominating possession" etc as playing well or not being that bad.

How is it playing well when it results in us losing? Often.

Is this "effort" you refer to not just the opposition letting us run about with the ball and/or knock it around a bit in areas where they're happy we're not going to do them any damage?

Yet in scoring 3 goals and WINNING at Rochdale without playing loads of pretty football we were "bang average"?

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every team breaks their habits against the mighty Oldham at Fortress BP!

1 home win in 8 and only 4 goals is absolutely shocking.....sub 3k crowds will become the norm if this continues.

Crowds have halved under this regime and will continue to reduce still further at this rate.

Almost every team breaks their habits against the mighty Oldham at Fortress BP!

1 home win in 8 and only 4 goals is absolutely shocking.....sub 3k crowds will become the norm if this continues.

Crowds have halved under this regime and will continue to reduce still further at this rate.

Could be worse. My "other" team has played 8 at home, scored 2 and unsurprisingly have yet to win one - or indeed draw one.

I do wonder what I have done to deserve following this pair - the "other" team have been at the same level of football for over a decade, have an absentee chairman who has lost interest, they have tried to find a buyer but no takers, have a huge turnover of loans and short term contracts and rapidly dwindling gates.

It's like Groundhog Day.

Edited by Dave_Og

Listened to Steve Eyre on Radio Manchester on the way home. He reckons our problems stem from not being able to control the midfield. Said we are short in there. Not sure if he meant the quality of the players of he thinks we need an extra man in midfield.

Listened to Steve Eyre on Radio Manchester on the way home. He reckons our problems stem from not being able to control the midfield. Said we are short in there. Not sure if he meant the quality of the players of he thinks we need an extra man in midfield.

Twof midfielders deep is the problem, only needs one at home.

Quite a few people seem to be viewing "effort", passing it about nicely, "dominating possession" etc as playing well or not being that bad.

How is it playing well when it results in us losing? Often.

Is this "effort" you refer to not just the opposition letting us run about with the ball and/or knock it around a bit in areas where they're happy we're not going to do them any damage?

Yet in scoring 3 goals and WINNING at Rochdale without playing loads of pretty football we were "bang average"?

We didn't dominate possession but you are right though we huffed and puffed but it was like snooker with a rope alot of effort but no penetration. Edited by GlossopLatic

Twof midfielders deep is the problem, only needs one at home.

Like Tuesday vs scunny. Fane stayed more and the the others had a bit more licence to roam. The switching flanks and interchanging positions worked well on Tuesday night. They didn't switch once yesterday.

SR must have told them to do something different as that performance by the same team was unrecognisable.

Edited by super_blue

We didn't dominate possession but you are right though we huffed and puffed but it was like snooker with a rope alot of effort but no penetration.

I know but it's one that gets trawled out a lot when we do.

You could argue if we keep winning the passing but rarely the game we should try letting the opposition have more possession and hit them on the counter rather than trying to pass through them which we're not very good at.

Could be worse. My "other" team has played 8 at home, scored 2 and unsurprisingly have yet to win one - or indeed draw one.

My "other" team is similar. 1 point from 7 home matches. At least they scored yesterday, for the first time since the opening home game!

Interestingly in League Two yesterday, there was 1 home win, 3 draws and 8 away wins! While our home form is awful, we're not alone this season and many teams have better away records.

Interestingly in League Two yesterday, there was 1 home win, 3 draws and 8 away wins! While our home form is awful, we're not alone this season and many teams have better away records.

A quick look shows (off median points) that home advantage is lower this season as you go down the leagues. Championship home advantage seems strongest and L2 weakest.

Wonder if that's a thing year-on-year: bigger crowds, better atmospheres etc. Maybe it's not.

My "other" team is similar. 1 point from 7 home matches. At least they scored yesterday, for the first time since the opening home game!

Latics play my 'other team; next week so I cant lose. :peepwall: .

:hooked: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< LP

Who's that then? - share the misery!!

Exeter City ?

Yarddog got it (my location probably gave the game away!). My brother's been a season ticket holder for a decade on and off so I go when I can. Despite being midtable last season their home form has been dreadful for the last year. 2 wins in 23 to be exact. I suppose if it wasn't for Shez our record would be similar.

There's a lot of unrest with Tisdale on the terraces. Over the 10 years he's been there he's been decent overall IMO, but he's on a 2 year rolling contract so sacking him is nigh on impossible for a trust run club, so things have gone pretty stale there.

Is it just me? Am I showing my age? But am I the only one who is becoming totally bored these days by the tactics employed by a lot of teams? Barcelona were excellent at it - and still are - letting the opposition have the ball but defending really well. Then when they are in possession they pass the opposition to death and have the class in midfield and up front to make the possession count. We, on the other hand seem to do no more than play pointless passes between the defence and midfield but then as soon as it goes forward we lose possession. When Latics had their most successful spell under Big Joe we played a much simpler, more direct way. Milligan and Henry in the middle winning the ball, Adams and Holden on the wings, Bunn (or Marshall) and Ritchie up front and we had no problem at all scoring goals. Why can't we employ that formation and tactics again? The modern way is just boring when the class of player is incapable of pulling it off.

Is it just me? Am I showing my age? But am I the only one who is becoming totally bored these days by the tactics employed by a lot of teams? Barcelona were excellent at it - and still are - letting the opposition have the ball but defending really well. Then when they are in possession they pass the opposition to death and have the class in midfield and up front to make the possession count. We, on the other hand seem to do no more than play pointless passes between the defence and midfield but then as soon as it goes forward we lose possession. When Latics had their most successful spell under Big Joe we played a much simpler, more direct way. Milligan and Henry in the middle winning the ball, Adams and Holden on the wings, Bunn (or Marshall) and Ritchie up front and we had no problem at all scoring goals. Why can't we employ that formation and tactics again? The modern way is just boring when the class of player is incapable of pulling it off.

Hallelujah brother!?

Thought the point I was making was a tad obvious but maybe not. Sometimes you play averagely OK and lose (like yesterday), sometimes you play averagely OK and win (like Dale two years ago - good win but I don't remember much "pretty" football....) and sometimes you play utter :censored:e (like MK Dons and Swindon) and totally deserve to lose. Yesterday I thought we played OK.

But yeah we are a just a totally average team who are always going to struggle to score many goals and keep losing and failing to score goals against equally average teams like Bristol Rovers. Not sure what the answer is though, Robinson seems to be doing the best he can with not a lot of talent.

It still seems like you're measuring "OK", "bad", ":censored:e" & "average" via so called "pretty football"...

You make no reference to us playing "well", or "great"....

Comparison with Barca a bit ott but the style of.play is right with the right quality of players.Fed up of tippy tappy football and fannying around when we get up field.Need more shots on goal kept lower,better set pieces at both ends ds and more crosses into the box at lower levels.

Fans want to be entertained even if we lose rather than watch drab football.Still need that fox in the box.

I agree the comparison with Barca is a bit unfair, but I use them as the team that are the best at playing that system, but they have the calibre of players to do it. I just think that the Barca way has become the blueprint for modern coaching and it's as if there is no other way of playing for young coaches. I would suggest watching some of the Latics match videos from the late 80's - early 90's. You will see a high tempo, slick passing, crosses into the box, and central strikers getting into positions where they can stick the ball away. How much of that have we seen this season??