£24 million

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we going to do about Corney? Nothing cos everyones a keyboard warrior, without the first idea of how to run a business or a football club and wouldnt have any idea of how to start doing anything about Corney.

Just moan about it, and deal with it. We are stuck with him until something better comes along (And it wont be from this board)

Yes, there were people saying that in the late 90's when JWLees were ruining us. Your username suggests you will be too young to remember them days. Fans managed to effect change back then though. And that was without an OWTB messageboard or keyboard warriors (bet you felt all warm and fuzzy using that buzzword!)

The problem in todays situation is that "our saviours" haven't just split the fan base like in the late 90s...they've fractured it into thousands of pieces with :censored: decision after :censored: decision after :censored: decision. I warned Richie Attwood of Trust Oldham about this happening back when FAILSworth was first mooted. Divide and conquer. They've done a cracking job on us so much so that energies are spent on in-fighting than a structured effort to take them on. Takes time and takes money. A lot of personal investment which people don't have like they once did back in the late 90's. Nobody can agree on the best way to protest. They can't hit "our saviours" in the pocket like you could with JWLees with localised bad press. They can't be picketed at their homes like JW Lees directors were. I remember the Chaddy End "Red Card" protest inside the ground. I would like to see that happen again but there's so much apathy and folk scared to rock the boat (fear-mongering...such a powerful weapon) that it won't happen.

Your swipe at those pissed off with the situation is water off a ducks back though. You're just another Corney zombie. Just as you say fans "moaning" are stuck with Corney...guess what...fans moaning (like you) at the fans "moaning" (at Corney) are stuck with the fans moaning! Deal with it! :icon_peace:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Aye up lads. Why don't those who want Corney out simply stop going? Following the summer of tossing about I took the decision to not give him a penny this season. I've not seen one minute live this season. Not missed it having seen all Bar two home games last season. It may be the reports of the :censored:e football helping keep me away.

Perhaps if the club leaks more and more money they'll lower the asking price. We're going down unless Corney does something drastic in January. If that doesn't happen I suggest people consider staying away and hitting him in the pocket.

Not sure staying away helps but each to their own, I understand your reasons. Personally me and my lad have missed one game all season and as happens whenever I don't go the day was spent shopping and doing diy, so it will be a while before I decide to miss another game!

Back to the original post, locally Chesterfield are now up for sale. The asking price is £5 million, plus £4 million in loans that need repaying. The buyer will also need to take on a £2 million mortgage over 10 years...so £11 million all in!

Boundary Blue - so no idea how to change it other than writing on here? This place is full of hot air is the point I am getting at, and the keyboard warrior reference is meaning that people are happy to fight and complain on here, without actually doing anything about it thats productive to changing the club.

I am by no means a Corney happy clapper, things could have been handled much better on occasions, I just dont see anything better on the horizon, and tbh dont see what all the fuss is about for slating him like some do, its almost like he has been in and slipped their missus a digit for some.

I have spent a good while on this message board in recent years, and I have never seen any sort of productive answer. All I have seen is a :censored: load of moaning and grumbling, and then in turn insults and hostility towards others of differing opinions. I for one have no idea what to do to change the club, hence why I will just carry on supporting Latics until something better happens. If I dont support the club, then it makes the situation worse, thats all I can do to change the fortunes of the club until then.

Boundary Blue - so no idea how to change it other than writing on here? This place is full of hot air is the point I am getting at, and the keyboard warrior reference is meaning that people are happy to fight and complain on here, without actually doing anything about it thats productive to changing the club.

I am by no means a Corney happy clapper, things could have been handled much better on occasions, I just dont see anything better on the horizon, and tbh dont see what all the fuss is about for slating him like some do, its almost like he has been in and slipped their missus a digit for some.

I have spent a good while on this message board in recent years, and I have never seen any sort of productive answer. All I have seen is a :censored: load of moaning and grumbling, and then in turn insults and hostility towards others of differing opinions. I for one have no idea what to do to change the club, hence why I will just carry on supporting Latics until something better happens. If I dont support the club, then it makes the situation worse, thats all I can do to change the fortunes of the club until then.

Over the years, I've had plenty of ideas on here how to marketing the club better and make more of what we've got. I've emailed Mark Moiseley directly and got false promises back. How to remove the cancer from the club though...no, I'm short on answers on that one. As I've said in my other post relating to when JW Lees were protested against and boycotted against, they were local and could directly be targeted. I don't buy mobiles in America nor would kicking up a fuss about their company do much good, unlike could be done with JW Lees and Torex (remember them? Burning effergies etc.)

It would take every single fan still attending (which I am one of) to be actively protesting inside the ground at full time (during the game is counter productive to the players IMO) as has happened before (against JW Lees) to make some ears and hopefully conscious' be pricked. But again, as I've said before, the divide and conquer of the fanbase that has been splintered into thousands of ways means that will probably never happen. It certainly won't while people accept (or choose apathy) regarding our situation.

Myself, I have been banging my drum for many years about what has been happening (as stated elsewhere, since the FAILSworth nonsense) and have been a relatively lone voice. Over the years, more and more have seen further idiotic decisions and lost patience. Some have done a silent protest and stopped attending. Others continue to go (IMO to walk away would be like assisting the clubs death) but will sure as hell continue to voice their displeasure at the running of the club. And from that small trickle of fans who started to voice their angst some time again, more have followed and I hope more and more continue to do so. Maybe then, we can get to the point where in-ground protests can take place and certain attendees holding the keys feel uncomfortable (in a non-threatening way.) I'm sure our leaders ego would be highly wounded by such antics considering he likes to have his picture taken with the small handful of fans who wear "Simon Corney Appreciation Society" t-shirts.

The drum will keep on being banged and maybe one day all Latics fans will be on the same page as each other. I suspect we will be below League One (and probably a hell of a lot further below) before that ever happens though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

He's not been in the job long. Do you mind me asking what false promises you got

This wasn't when he took over as Chief Exec but the very first day he stepped foot into BP offices. My main point has always been the promoting of the club..most importantly around the ground (including next matchdays, cheapest ticket offers etc.) on the 3 main arterial routes with thousands of passers by per day. I've banged this drum for years. I was assured that this would be something he would look into addressing. Nothing has ever happened.

This wasn't when he took over as Chief Exec but the very first day he stepped foot into BP offices. My main point has always been the promoting of the club..most importantly around the ground (including next matchdays, cheapest ticket offers etc.) on the 3 main arterial routes with thousands of passers by per day. I've banged this drum for years. I was assured that this would be something he would look into addressing. Nothing has ever happened.

Fair enough. I don't live anywhere near Oldham so not something I'd ever really see apart from the official channels.

If he said it would be done and hasn't then I accept thats not right

I dont disagree that a protest (against what exactly by the way?) would ruffle feathers, but whats the alternative at that point, Simon Corney says F-U and walks away and completely drains the club even further, as has happened at other clubs. The grass isnt always greener. Unless there is someone else there to step into the breach, then this would only lead to a further downturn and certain relegation/Stockport demise.

I'm sure if the fan base improved again to 5-6000 (to back up your fan power to protest) then a better product would go onto the pitch with the increased budget. This last year he has been shafted off Sheridan and even Evans management wise which would have no doubt improved the on pitch performances. He did what he felt was right by appointing an international assistant manager alongside Ian Baraclough who has management experience also. Unfortunately its not quite working out as yet, but its a long season and we arent out of touch by any means. What does he do, sack the man and get slated for xxx amount of managers in xxx amount of years, or back him and get stick for sticking by a negative manager. No win situation.

I by no means believe all of these decisions are correct, and there is something fishy about Brass Bank, but the facts and figures that get chucked on here and twitter are mostly nonsense but are still taken as gospel.

Anyway, my last thoughts on the matter, I am just gonna go to the Latics, support the team and moan about the result afterwards. Until someone comes up with a good idea for changing the club that I can get behind.

You can market the club as well as you want, it'll make no difference, people know when and where we play, but they arent going to come and watch us on the basis that the product on the pitch is :censored:. 2 promotion campaigns in 20 odd seasons in this division is pitiful. And how many top half finishes have we had in the last 10 years? It's shocking. It's not just about price, it's the fact that people have better things to do.

You can market the club as well as you want, it'll make no difference, people know when and where we play, but they arent going to come and watch us on the basis that the product on the pitch is :censored:. 2 promotion campaigns in 20 odd seasons in this division is pitiful. And how many top half finishes have we had in the last 10 years? It's shocking. It's not just about price, it's the fact that people have better things to do.

Catch 22. Come in with the same intentions of 'TTA' and get it right and things change. We're not as tinpot as our current predicament would have people believe.

Every little helps though.

But the town does somehow always seem fully aware that we're playing when we get Liverpool or Everton....

Or if we're in a playoff semi.

Or if it's free...

Aren't billboards quite expensive? And extremely old school and untargeted. They would be seen by people who already know and loads of people who couldn't give a :censored:. We could advertise in the Guardian if we liked.

Our particular brand of misery might go down quite well with their readership

Aren't billboards quite expensive? And extremely old school and untargeted. They would be seen by people who already know and loads of people who couldn't give a :censored:. We could advertise in the Guardian if we liked.

Not really no....the thing is we're doing nowt at the moment and it would only take a handful of extra people to turn up on a match day for it to pay for itself. I know several lapsed fans who weren't aware of the £15 match deal and it would be worth it just to advertise the offers.....if we do nowt nothing will change will it?

Not really no....the thing is we're doing nowt at the moment and it would only take a handful of extra people to turn up on a match day for it to pay for itself. I know several lapsed fans who weren't aware of the £15 match deal and it would be worth it just to advertise the offers.....if we do nowt nothing will change will it?

I'm all for ideas. Just not sure that one particular idea is clearly a winner. I can't have an opinion whether billboards would be a good idea without knowing what they cost. I vaguely remember someone, be it the club or someone in local business some years ago, saying it was expensive. It might be a really :censored: way to advertise pound for pound.

This i§ not to say that pounds are being spent more effectively.