£24 million

Wow.

TTA paid nowt for the club and about £6m for the land.

They've spent £6m on the new stand (and also lost about £6m in operating losses, but can't expect to recover those anymore than you'd hand over past profit).

The club has lost half its fans and hasn't finished in the top half for 7 years.

For the club and all the land £24m is a joke. Maybe £15m would be fair if the land is included.

Just to correct you...the club bought the land for £3.5m off the council owned company OPP Ltd (formerly Hiretarget Ltd). This was the figure Hardy and Brierley sold it for with a 5yr protection on the cost so that any new owners could buy it back at this price. All this was in the press back in the day. What wasn't (this is from my days as part as SAFE) Chris Moore was going to buy it back off the council but they had installed the new pitch and added £1m to the cost to which Moore refused to pay.

With regards to the stand, the council agreed monies/grants of £5.7m towards this. It is widely accepted roughly £3m went to Brassbank to repay the Lancaster Club land.

When figures are talked about, all of the above is often forgotten (and in some quarters, ignored.)

The sum of all parts is that if the £24m figure is true...of which I can imagine it is (I once had a conversation with a Financial Director who represented an interested party)...then considering the above, it is a :censored:ing disgrace! It is also exactly what I have suspected for a long time.

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may well be fishing, but you're clutching at a lot of straws to compare our size to Burnley or Leicester...

Leicester were getting 11k in this league when we were getting 8k.

A club that got 12k in the Premier League 20 years ago would now get far more than that if they got back up there (unless you're Wigan)

Leicester were getting 11k in this league when we were getting 8k.

A club that got 12k in the Premier League 20 years ago would now get far more than that if they got back up there (unless you're Wigan)

I'm not sure we would get more. At the time of our meteoric rise both Manchester clubs were doing pretty poorly. United v Coventry at home one Wednesday night drew a crowd of less than 30,000. I think quite a few United and City "fans" came along for the ride with Latics at the time.

I'm not sure we would get more. At the time of our meteoric rise both Manchester clubs were doing pretty poorly. United v Coventry at home one Wednesday night drew a crowd of less than 30,000. I think quite a few United and City "fans" came along for the ride with Latics at the time.

Is it not a myth that United and City impact our attendances?

Just to correct you...the club bought the land for £3.5m off the council owned company OPP Ltd (formerly Hiretarget Ltd). This was the figure Hardy and Brierley sold it for with a 5yr protection on the cost so that any new owners could buy it back at this price. All this was in the press back in the day. What wasn't (this is from my days as part as SAFE) Chris Moore was going to buy it back off the council but they had installed the new pitch and added £1m to the cost to which Moore refused to pay.

With regards to the stand, the council agreed monies/grants of £5.7m towards this. It is widely accepted roughly £3m went to Brassbank to repay the Lancaster Club land.

When figures are talked about, all of the above is often forgotten (and in some quarters, ignored.)

The sum of all parts is that if the £24m figure is true...of which I can imagine it is (I once had a conversation with a Financial Director who represented an interested party)...then considering the above, it is a :censored:ing disgrace! It is also exactly what I have suspected for a long time.

I thought that the debt of £6.5m for the stand had been put on the club's accounts. Probably not the whole amount, (even though Corney said the money was in place) the stand still isn't finished. Only the bits run by OEC have been completed, so we know where Corney's priorities are.

I thought that the debt of £6.5m for the stand had been put on the club's accounts. Probably not the whole amount, (even though Corney said the money was in place) the stand still isn't finished. Only the bits run by OEC have been completed, so we know where Corney's priorities are.

He said Finance was in place this has come from a few places. The council who compensated us for Failsworth not going through. The land that in Failsworth that we sold minus Simon Blitz cut. The rest we have borrowed. How much that is we don't know exactly.

Edit Just saw BB80S post above he pretty much clarifies that.

Edited by GlossopLatic

The 'potential' fan base is the same as in the Premiership days.

I would doubt that, football has changed and so has society. Football clubs built support within a community, I don't think that sense of community exists anymore in most towns/cities. Add to that the gulf resultant from footballers absurd wages (even at our level) plus, half of them confusing themselves with the 'so solid crew' instead of a bunch of blokes playing a sport marginally above average and you can see how the people of a working class town fail to really connect. Support now depends almost entirely on success and fitting some corporate template championed by sky and the 'entertainment' cartel and we will always be judged on this by proximity if nothing else to the big Manchester clubs whereas once other factors would weigh in for many.

Once we had the chance to stick it out in the bottom end of the prem but without massive investment those days are never coming back, the world has moved on.

I would doubt that, football has changed and so has society. Football clubs built support within a community, I don't think that sense of community exists anymore in most towns/cities. Add to that the gulf resultant from footballers absurd wages (even at our level) plus, half of them confusing themselves with the 'so solid crew' instead of a bunch of blokes playing a sport marginally above average and you can see how the people of a working class town fail to really connect. Support now depends almost entirely on success and fitting some corporate template championed by sky and the 'entertainment' cartel and we will always be judged on this by proximity if nothing else to the big Manchester clubs whereas once other factors would weigh in for many.

Once we had the chance to stick it out in the bottom end of the prem but without massive investment those days are never coming back, the world has moved on.

What were the reasons last time we were getting 4,000 at home then?

And the times before that?

What were the reasons last time we were getting 4,000 at home then?

I'm not old enough to remember 'the times before that' but I'd imagine the population of Oldham was smaller then although you could probably argue the cost was almost negligible at that time as a counter.

More recently it's been the general slow decline since the glory days. Look around at home games, bar the youngsters singing in the rre it's mainly old blokes.

I'm not sure the "brand" is really worth a great deal in reality. Yes longstanding fans know us as being around forever, Joe Royle glory days (gallantly coming runners up to Everton in 1915) etc but if Fleetwood get to the Premier League fans won't be saying they've got no pedigree they will buy into it. For me the price of the brand is negated by the apathy and disillusionment the owners have created in recent years. I think it's largely a myth that United and City eat into our fan base, created by Corney sycophants who look for any excuse other than the blindingly obvious about why the club is on the brink...

The 'potential' fan base is the same as in the Premiership days.

I would disagree. Lots of houses and flats that contained Football going folk back in the prem days have now either been demolished or are now occupied by people who will not attend a Football match under any circumstances whatsoever.

Undoubtedly it would take a Euro lottery win for anyone to pay £24m for our club.

Census information shows us that the population of Oldham has remained static but that the ethnic mix has changed. Unfortunately the ethnic mix is now further away from my perception of the ethnic mix of those who pay their hard earned to support Oldham.

Additionally since 2008, you might be a lucky exception, real incomes have either stagnated or reduced. This has particularly hit the younger generation, teens and 20s, who are earning less than the previous generation at their age.

When you add wall to wall Sky & BT premier league and BT European Cup coverage, there is always a game available at 3 on Saturday by the dubious routes, it is no wonder that a struggling Division 3 side has seen a reduction in paying support.

We are undoubtedly not worth £24m and the road to semi professional Divisions 3 and 4 gathers pace unless the Premiership attributes some value to these leagues continuing on a professional basis and passes some of its millions to us.

I think their is a fan base there if you build it.

Don't forget if we did get to The PL again which is still possible. But to get there would require one hell of a journey and on that journey you would pick up alot of fans as we would have many many many good days out. I would look at Bournemouth as the example.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Most Oldhamers are City or United fans. I think that would be pretty hard to dispute.

Completely agree but I believe many would defect if we were successful.

Oldham's demographic may have changed over the years, but so has the way football is marketed. It's a much bigger animal than when we were in the Premiership which leads me to believe that with sustained success, Latics could fill the ground again.

£24m :censored: off corney! You're having a laugh give it five years your stand will be worth :censored: all in the conference north.

3,300 and only £15 a ticket no one wants to watch a club under stewardship you've killed a fan base you've killed the passion your ineptness has killed the club. No one wants to watch your :censored: freebie loanees and your no hopers and short term deals....your revolving door of cheap :censored: players can go spit...

£24m :censored: off corney! You're having a laugh give it five years your stand will be worth :censored: all in the conference north.

3,300 and only £15 a ticket no one wants to watch a club under stewardship you've killed a fan base you've killed the passion your ineptness has killed the club. No one wants to watch your :censored: freebie loanees and your no hopers and short term deals....your revolving door of cheap :censored: players can go spit...

I thought that this post was way too subtle

+1

Brutal, uncompromising, but fair :OASISscarf: