Two new forwards or a new manager?

Two new forwards or a new manager?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather we sacked (& paid off) Robbo or signed him 2 players with that money who might make or score goals?

• New manager
    • New forwards
    • Robbo out AND new players in

NewBlue - I know where your coming from but I keep thinking that Port Vale were so poor and disorganised that they should have been put to the sword. You don't always score every opportunity but against very poor opposition you should create so many opportunities that 9 times out of 10 you win.

Playing against disorganised teams is the easiest game to win because you adapt your game to their weaknesses. The person in charge is there to spot this early (not just at half time)!and change the plan accordingly, it allows you to have more chances of scoring, eventually you will score unless it's just one of those days.

We simply didn't create enough clear cut chances against such a poor team to be confident that SR is turning this sinking ship around

.... and clearly SOD is either having little effect else confusing matters. I struggle to comprehend how a group of professional sportsman can remain so ineffective.

Edited by joe_lead

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NewBlue - I know where your coming from but I keep thinking that Port Vale were so poor and disorganised that they should have been put to the sword. You don't always score every opportunity but against very poor opposition you should create so many opportunities that 9 times out of 10 you win.

Playing against disorganised teams is the easiest game to win because you adapt your game to their weaknesses. The person in charge is there to spot this early (not just at half time)!and change the plan accordingly, it allows you to have more chances of scoring, eventually you will score unless it's just one of those days.

We simply didn't create enough clear cut chances against such a poor team to be confident that SR is turning this sinking ship around

.... and clearly SOD is either having little effect else confusing matters. I struggle to comprehend how a group of professional sportsman can remain so ineffective.

Spot on

I've gone for option 3 as I don't think it's just a case of a new manager or new striker. If we don't strengthen the squad (and we need more than just 1 or 2 strikers) we will go down. I don't think I'm being unrealistic to say I expected us not to be bottom and to have scored more goals by now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Port Vale were the first team who came to BP thinking a draw is good enough so they started by doing what we do which is defending. This gave our lot the opportunity to go forward. Chances were created. A better striker than Ladapo wouldn't first have looked to see if he was offside before attempting to score. A better striker would then 9 times out of 10 scored the one goal needed to win the match. There were other opportunities to score, other chances made, but we fluffed, missed or made their goalkeeper look good.

If we had won just two of the drawn games we would be 20th, 3 19th. The chances are there we just need to score them against the poorer teams. Strikers please or Saturday 22nd April looks like the day Rochdale will send us down.

If we had won just two of the drawn games we would be 20th, 3 19th. The chances are there we just need to score them against the poorer teams. Strikers please or Saturday 22nd April looks like the day Rochdale will send us down.

If my auntie had balls...

I read the Chronicle tonight and seems Robinson says 95% of his signings have been right.

I always thought he was deluded after reading his post match reports and this now confirms it.

"What we do is try to pick good characters and I would say we have 95-per-cent right."

95% have good characters. Not 95% of signings have been right.

OK. .point taken but good characters have put us in bottom place

Well yeah, their characters might be ok but doesn't stop them being :censored: at football! But if he mentions that then he's lost the dressing room or something.

"What we do is try to pick good characters and I would say we have 95-per-cent right."

95% have good characters. Not 95% of signings have been right.

Ye but it's not as good if you don't twist What's said to post on here

Still bollocks though, isn't it?

A squad of 95% good characters (what's that, one bad character?) wouldn't have turned in that insipid performance at Lincoln.

The current squad lacks both ability and character. And goals, obviously.

Guest nonaenever

Still bollocks though, isn't it?

A squad of 95% good characters (what's that, one bad character?) wouldn't have turned in that insipid performance at Lincoln.

The current squad lacks both ability and character. And goals, obviously.

......and that's why I don't rate our manager - he does talk some twaddle - I don't think I have seen as many "characterless" performances in such a short space of time (bar the usual very few players). Just what has he actually watched this season?

He's very good at ingratiating himself with a certain type of fan though, I`ll give him that. His tactics of always talking about "hard work" and his "honesty" have won over a fair % now, no matter how badly we perform. I`ve lost count of the number of times I`ve read things like, "it's only a matter of time before we start to climb the table, we've got a great set of lads" - guess what? All the while he has been saying this, we've slowly sunk to the very bottom!

Of course, when we do (hopefully) reach the heady heights of next to bottom, the "blind" will say "told you so!" as if it's some miracle. Don't forget, he put us bottom - we can't actually go any lower (unless the trap door opens in May of course).

You can call the manager names and use all the disparaging terms you want to describe fans with a differing opinion. But nothing will ever change unless a manager is backed with a long term plan. Whether that's Robinson or not I'm almost beyond caring.

If we sack him and bring in a Shez type we'll have to back the new guy, probably with more short term signings to get us out of the mess. Then if he does a good job he'll probably go somewhere else in the summer and we'll be back to square one with no players. Again.

No matter who the manager is they're set up to fail unless they're backed fully by the board.

Robinson has changed formation and talks of finding his style and wanting players in who fit that rather than the other way round. He gives the impression he's willing to change to make things work. Which is a small positive in this :censored: storm of a season. If we're capable of backing him to build a proper squad then I'm up for keeping him.

If we're not then yeah, may as well sack him and get a "man manager" in who can get a cobbled together squad to do just enough to keep us up.

Then start the circus all over again in the summer.

A tough one because I don't see an obvious replacement (can't believe Sheridan is viable)

Don't know what the crack is with O'Driscoll these days but could he be more involved on day to day basis, similar to Venables at Middlesborough back in the day?

He was a disaster at Walsall

I suppose much depends on this group of players motivating themselves to win next week at Mansfield. Not much but SC probably wants that £40k and if they play well and win the argument to keep Robinson is stronger - not that I think there is an argument as Robinson seems able to fight his own case.

If next week is a quiet as this then the inevitable 2 0 loss against Gillingham is on the cards and we are doomed. Count down to 23.00 on 31st.

I think it's only 20k to beat Mansfield, which is probably what SC is waiting for to clear the embargo. What happens if we lose I dread to think.

Guest nonaenever

You can call the manager names and use all the disparaging terms you want to describe fans with a differing opinion.

nz - bit OTT? Trust me, after some of the very abusive emails I received (I created an email address for questions re. another post on here) from some on here my use of the disparaging word "blind" pales into absolute significance. Of course people can have other opinions - and I respect them - just find it hard to swallow seeing my team rock bottom and playing the worst football in living memory.

nz - bit OTT? Trust me, after some of the very abusive emails I received (I created an email address for questions re. another post on here) from some on here my use of the disparaging word "blind" pales into absolute significance. Of course people can have other opinions - and I respect them - just find it hard to swallow seeing my team rock bottom and playing the worst football in living memory.

Not just aimed at you nnn. But I guess your post must have touched a nerve as I'm one of those "certain types of fan" and "blind" ones! I'm sure you've had a lot worse though as the one sticking his head above the parapet. And fair play for that.

My main point is that I strongly feel that this goes so much deeper than whoever the manager is and until there is a proper plan in place we'll have the same old story year on year until we eventually go down. Might even be this year. I feel sorry for Robinson, in general I like what he has to say and if we'd scored half the simple chances we've fluffed so far we might be in a very different position in the league. It doesn't excuse some of the abject performances we've had obviously, but let's not forget he's only a few months into his career.

Until we stop with this short term, hand to mouth existence then I don't think it matters a great deal who the manager is.

I agree also nz. Looks like you have your very own "certain type of fan" base. Ha!

For me what is most clear to me at this point (and certainly after Port Vale) is that the players are playing for Robbo. He has the dressing room. End of. Why risk a positive that we have at this point. It's clear we need to tweak the squad and bring in players. Why spend money on the contract of a manager rather than players when we have so little cash?