New Manager: Shez Is Back

183 members have voted

1. 1. Correct decision

• Yes
    • No

Hate to say it, but I can't see another miracle. I think shez, the fans, and the club got swept up in his return last season. That spirit and goodwill goes a long way IMO. For the reasons everyone has mentioned it's not the same this season, even if the gap is smaller.

Obviously, hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not going to happen and many won't agree with me, but it'd be nice if he offered an apology to us for the way he prostituted himself last summer, inviting advances from Bolton, Leeds and Notts before eventually jumping ship...

Give over!

A year on from the infamous costa coffee photo and John Sheridan has left and returned as manager of Oldham Athletic.

Sheridan's first win of his last spell in charge was away at Shrewsbury and his first home win was against Gillingham.

His first two games in charge this time round are Gillingham at home and Shrewsbury away.

Come on Johnny lad you know the dance ?

Whatever happened in the summer relations couldnt have been that strained otherwise Corney wouldn't have gone back in for him.

He went to a better paid job it didn't work out for him or us we are both back at square 1 no need for an apology just get on with the job and keep us up we will discuss the long term stuff in the summer.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Would love to know his reasons for leaving us last summer and what's changed now for him to return.

Granted he was unemployed yesterday but Northampton were after him and I suspect other clubs too regardless of his sacking from Notts County.

If last summer he didn't think he could take us forward due to limited finances then has Corney convinced him that money is available to significantly strengthen in this window?! Three or four player won't cut it - we need five or six.

The one question is obviously how long has he signed for this time. Usual contempt by the club to fans - brief announcement and "no further comment at this stage".

This is the opportunity now for Corney or Moisley to engage with the fans on how long Sheridan is contracted for, assurances over player recruitment, commitment from the new manager and board not only for this season but during the summer and into next season plus update on seeking investment and talks in Asia with investors. Surely the contacts that Corney, Blitz and Gazal have in the States and how strong the dollar is now against the pound would fire interest to buy the club. If they sell at the £6 million, the increase in land and property in the last few years would suggest a really good deal for someone.

I dont think we should be having a Poll on this- It is now a done deal- rightly or wrongly and although I have my reservations about going back I hope that JS makes a success of it - even it means a spell in the lower league. But the fans now need to unite behind the team and therefore the manager and showing that a number of people disagree is not helpful- all that can be seen in differing views without the need to quantify it in a poll.

Guest nonaenever

This is the opportunity now for Corney or Moisley to engage with the fans on how long Sheridan is contracted for, assurances over player recruitment, commitment from the new manager and board not only for this season but during the summer and into next season plus update on seeking investment and talks in Asia with investors. Surely the contacts that Corney, Blitz and Gazal have in the States and how strong the dollar is now against the pound would fire interest to buy the club. If they sell at the £6 million, the increase in land and property in the last few years would suggest a really good deal for someone.

Agree with your sentiments Mids but, in reality, we are now in a classic period of "crisis management" to save our league status. That's probably one of the reasons why Shez has been chosen because he has helped very well to manage us out of a similar crisis before. Effective crisis management involves most people channelling all their energies into the critical issue - for us, that's staying up. I don't honestly think you'll be getting much else at the moment (although players will obviously come in as part of the crisis strategy).

If you recall last season, everybody (fans included) rallied around - and it was successful. Would be great if that happened again and, personally, I would worry about little else just for now.

Agree with your sentiments Mids but, in reality, we are now in a classic period of "crisis management" to save our league status. That's probably one of the reasons why Shez has been chosen because he has helped very well to manage us out of a similar crisis before. Effective crisis management involves most people channelling all their energies into the critical issue - for us, that's staying up. I don't honestly think you'll be getting much else at the moment (although players will obviously come in as part of the crisis strategy).

If you recall last season, everybody (fans included) rallied around - and it was successful. Would be great if that happened again and, personally, I would worry about little else just for now.

Apart from how the club got into this 'crisis' and how soon will it happen again?

Guest nonaenever

Apart from how the club got into this 'crisis' and how soon will it happen again?

Chaddy - as I said, all needs answering - just that now all energy should be focussed on the task in hand. Surely, as a Latics fan, you can see that preserving our league status is number one priority at the moment?

And to illustrate I`m not a hypocrite, I have emailed and asked whether Mr C and Mr M would rather postpone the "Questions Session" to a later date as I realise they may be exceedingly busy on more urgent matters now.

Chaddy - as I said, all needs answering - just that now all energy should be focussed on the task in hand. Surely, as a Latics fan, you can see that preserving our league status is number one priority at the moment?

And to illustrate I`m not a hypocrite, I have emailed and asked whether Mr C and Mr M would rather postpone the "Questions Session" to a later date as I realise they may be exceedingly busy on more urgent matters now.

Can I initially correct you, it is not about preserving our league status, it is about concentrating on staying in this :censored:e division as compared with being relegated to one which is even more :censored:e. In my view, and I said this since pre-season we, well specifically Mr Robinson, were set up to fail.

That has been proven and the club has now gone back to the bloke who should have remained here and I too am glad about his return.

But what an almighty :censored: up of a way to run a football club. Shez has a harder task than last season with the 'poundstretcher' calibre of players plus we are a long way adrift of the teams that I think that we might need to catch.

Here's hoping that Chesterfield, Bury, Coventry and Shrewsbury continue their poor form for a few more months. In Shez we hope!

Very sensible.

Are you going to book it in for the last week of each season then?

Guest nonaenever

Can I initially correct you, it is not about preserving our league status, it is about concentrating on staying in this :censored:e division as compared with being relegated to one which is even more :censored:e.

Correction humbly accepted - I meant to type "League One status" but the champagne I have drank celebrating the return of the messiah has affected me. The missus is threatening to leave if I sing "Here's to you Johny Sheridan....." one more time. I'd actually forgotten what the feel good factor meant with Latics. I know some will suspect me bonkers but I`m happier than I`ve been for quite a while where Latics are concerned. :icon_peace:

Although background issues are in need of urgent attention and can't just be forgotten for another 6 months, lets get behind Sheridan and finally have something to cheer for. Hoping for a big turnout at Shrewsbury now and an upping in home attendances!!

Edited by Danbright12