Heritage & Tradition

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a £100m investment if we had to change the club's name to Oldham Roosters?

• Too right - Come on You Roosters
    • Never - I'll stick as we are

I voted no, purely because of the wording really. I don't know how far a one off investment like that would take us. If it was a take over with ongoing investment and development of the club, well then come on you Roosters!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would calling oursleves Oldham Roosters achieve that that Oldham Athletic wouldn't?

Lets assume it is this Martin Lee guy and his aspirations are to own a global sporting empire if we are his european football team. People would know its part of his sporting francise without the name change When John Henry bought Liverpool he didn't need to change it to the Liverpool Red Sox to show that he owns both them and the Boston red sox.

I can't imagine the name change alone isn't going to get more fans into the stadium. The investment will do that.

From the poll it appears we have a split and it would appear to alienate a good proportion of our fan base. We'd lose more than we would gain by doing something like this.

The specific name change is purely an example, it is probably more apt to look at a sponsorship deal whereby the club would be come Oldham Red Bull or similar. The same principal stands.

At the moment this must be one of the closest polls we have had in a while which is interesting in itself.

As Glossop points out, however, there is a bigger picture with some fans being alienated and walking away.

Guest nonaenever

A very good topic/thread - and things like this clearly matter to supporters. It should, in theory, be relatively easy to protect our heritage in any sale i.e. insert a contract clause along the lines of, "this sale is strictly conditional upon the football club being called Oldham Athletic throughout the new owner/s' tenure".

If that were to stop any potential sale - you could argue that the new buyers did not have the club itself at heart - and therefore wouldn't make suitable new owners anyway? (i.e. the Chairman has always said he wants the right type of buyer).

Absolutely not. We're Oldham Athletic.

Really not arsed about the £100 million. More bothered about the improvement of attention to detail which costs very little and would make fans proud of the club again.

Edited by JoeP

I didn't really get the hull thing. I would be fine being called the Oldham Athletic Owls. I never say Athletic, so one extra word not to say doesn't make any difference.

True, seems to be have been accepted in Rugby without too much fuss.

I know a few fans of 'ull and most are vehemently against the name change.

When was the last time a club changed its name?

I recall the classic Soccer Saturday "they'll be dancing in the street of Total Network Solutions tonight", but in terms of a league team I cannot think of any.

Football fans like tradition, and generally are against most change. Maybe there is a hierarchy of acceptable changes?

Changing the name of the Stadium is an example - and for us it is not too much of an issue, as we have an old name we will use. But when you get a new stadium and it's sponsored, and then the name changes e.g. The Reebok - well it is more of an impact.

Changing kit colour - blue to red. A bigger issue? Colours are what many fans identify themselves with - would we like red?

Team name? I recall the outrage of Manchester North End. Too far? Changing the last part of a name - is that OK?

I know a few fans of 'ull and most are vehemently against the name change.

When was the last time a club changed its name?

I recall the classic Soccer Saturday "they'll be dancing in the street of Total Network Solutions tonight", but in terms of a league team I cannot think of any.

Football fans like tradition, and generally are against most change. Maybe there is a hierarchy of acceptable changes?

Changing the name of the Stadium is an example - and for us it is not too much of an issue, as we have an old name we will use. But when you get a new stadium and it's sponsored, and then the name changes e.g. The Reebok - well it is more of an impact.

Changing kit colour - blue to red. A bigger issue? Colours are what many fans identify themselves with - would we like red?

Team name? I recall the outrage of Manchester North End. Too far? Changing the last part of a name - is that OK?

I would guess that it is Leyton Orient as they have had "Leyton" in and out. I think "Greenock" has been in and out of Morton's name too.

• 1 month later...