Heritage & Tradition

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a £100m investment if we had to change the club's name to Oldham Roosters?

• Too right - Come on You Roosters
    • Never - I'll stick as we are

I caught the end of a discussion on TalkSport tonight regarding owners trying to make significant changes to clubs. It was focussed on the likes of Hull and Cardiff but got me thinking.

As a purely hypothetical question, if someone wanted to take over Latics but insisted on making some fundamental changes how would you feel about it?

For the sake of a poll, if our mystery Chinese interested party decided to take over and put £100m into the club but as we are entering the year of the Rooster said he would only do so if we changed our name to Oldham Roosters, would you take it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I'm a massive rugby league fan and one of the most hated teams in Australian rugby league is called the roosters then :censored: no!

I've always liked the fact that our name is somewhat different to the usual united or city monikers given to most teams. Making more use of the owl connection would not be that bad. I would like to see more protection of a clubs heritage ( name / predominant colour ) by the FA to stop this sort of radical change by new owners.

The owners at Hull and Cardiff appear to be shooting themselves in the foot with those changes. I'm not sure if changing their names to Hull Tigers or Cardiff changing their kit is in anyway shape or form benefiting them.

That said aslong as their is a football team called Oldham Athletic that plays in Oldham has a 1st team strip in blue that's trying to be the best it can be then I and I imagine most others are quite happy to give the owners enough slack to do mostly what they want.

I'm prepared to embrace changes that a new owner will be prepared to do just a few small things remain sacred and I don't think changing them will make sense either commercially or from a traditional point of view.

Sure why not, we could change Oh When The Blues.. to Oh When The Cocks... to fit, which given some of the players we've seen (dis)grace the hallowed turf at Sportsdirect.com/shoesale Park, would be quite apt.

I draw the line at changing my username on this fine website to Chorlton_Rooster though.

I refer to myself as an "Oldham" fan whenever asked.

Not Latics, Oldham Athletic or anything else.

As long as we keep the Oldham they could call us anything other than United for me....

I suppose this might be different if we weren't a one team town but, because we are, it's the Oldham bit that I consider most important.

As said above - like the ground everybody would still refer to us the same anyway....

If a name change were allowed it would probably also be allowed to be changed back in the future - once we're in the Champions League and they sell up to someone who changes us back to Oldham Athletic to get everyone onside.

I'm in.

(Although I'd be concerned that we had owners who thought this would change anything)

Edited by HarryBosch

New name or new stadium, what would be worse?

If they have bags of money they might rebuild the 3 other sides of the ground in North Stand fashion, if so they can call it what they like.

Edited by BP1960

For £100,000,000 any name at all since fans would still call it Latics...much the same as we call the ground by its old name.My only caveat would be so long as we did not have to wear red and the players come on the pitch to "Little Red Rooster"

For £100,000,000 any name at all since fans would still call it Latics...much the same as we call the ground by its old name.My only caveat would be so long as we did not have to wear red and the players come on the pitch to "Little Red Rooster"

How do you feel about the current away kit being red?