Ngoo?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The noise greeting Ngoo coming on to the pitch is without a shadow of a doubt racist....non malicious but nevertheless racist

Even as one of the most lefty, liberal, Remainer snowflakes I know (that has felt very uncomfortable with 'Oooh Roger Palmer' when directed at stewards, etc), even I think that's a madness.

The noise is in line same as what Joe Root & Luke Donald get when they make an appearance. Surely Ngoo gets that privilege because of his fairly standout athletic style which makes it a bit of event when he's coming on & the direct opposite emotion to that when Paul Green and Ollie 'sodding' Banks do the same.

Even as one of the most lefty, liberal, Remainer snowflakes I know (that has felt very uncomfortable with 'Oooh Roger Palmer' when directed at stewards, etc), even I think that's a madness.

The noise is in line same as what Joe Root & Luke Donald get when they make an appearance. Surely Ngoo gets that privilege because of his fairly standout athletic style which makes it a bit of event when he's coming on & the direct opposite emotion to that when Paul Green and Ollie 'sodding' Banks do the same.

Exactly.Magister is a wind up straight from the Viz.A result of a liason between Militant and Finbar Saunders

It's a similar chant / noise to that used for Joe Root and Bruce Springsteen.

Putting him on a par with a successful cricketer and musician is racist? Silly person.

As justifications go O4U that is up there with the Met Police of the 80s.. As for you Twisbrogan you even single out his physical appearance as the reason for the chant. Youare absolutely right though that ooh roger Palmer is used racially, by the same people who are now......

As justifications go O4U that is up there with the Met Police of the 80s.. As for you Twisbrogan you even single out his physical appearance as the reason for the chant. Youare absolutely right though that ooh roger Palmer is used racially, by the same people who are now......

You are right about Palmer, wrong about Ngoo.

So where are we now?

We seem to have an acceptance that a section use " ooh Roger Palmer" as a rascist chant.

We have a suggestion that the same section are now using a chant because of his physical attributes....but

We have some apologists( I stress some) for the alleged abusive chants topping and tailing their thought through posts with " ponce "dickhead" " bellend" "tart".

Ummm

We should start a new thread, chants that sound like booing or sound racist. We can then have a long discussion about it.

Can I open with Matt "Kooooch" Kuchar.

You are right disjointed....the issue is whether the chant is a play on the name or a" zuluistic" noise. My problem with the Root , Kucher, Springsteen defence is that the rendition of the name emerged over time as they became extremely successful in their fields....with this chant it was used the very first time he came on the field , before he had kicked a ball and therefore It has to at least to be considered that it is based on his physical appearance .....

The Roger Palmer chant being used as a (not so) subtle form of racism is one of the most embarrassing times I have following Latics.

What must our all time leading scorer think?

As for the Ngoo chant being used racially - not sure at the moment.

There are a number of chants that create that type of long "oooh" sound across a range of sports, and Ngoo's name fits perfectly with that trend.

It's used when he comes on, not an unreasonable time to chant a players name.

We have other black players that are not subject to anti-racial chanting (as far as I can tell)

And genuinely (as this thread has proven) there are plenty that seem to appreciate what he brings to the team and has adopted a very early cult following (The chants of "Ernie" when Cooksey first arrived spring to mind).

So, think the whole Ngoo chant is racist is perhaps a bit of a jump.

You are right disjointed....the issue is whether the chant is a play on the name or a" zuluistic" noise. My problem with the Root , Kucher, Springsteen defence is that the rendition of the name emerged over time as they became extremely successful in their fields....with this chant it was used the very first time he came on the field , before he had kicked a ball and therefore It has to at least to be considered that it is based on his physical appearance .....

It's based on his name ending in Oo.....

name="Scapegoat" post="895389" timestamp="1486978134"]The Roger Palmer chant being used as a (not so) subtle form of racism is one of the most embarrassing times I have following Latics.

What must our all time leading scorer think?

As for the Ngoo chant being used racially - not sure at the moment.

There are a number of chants that create that type of long "oooh" sound across a range of sports, and Ngoo's name fits perfectly with that trend.

It's used when he comes on, not an unreasonable time to chant a players name.

We have other black players that are not subject to anti-racial chanting (as far as I can tell)

And genuinely (as this thread has proven) there are plenty that seem to appreciate what he brings to the team and has adopted a very early cult following (The chants of "Ernie" when Cooksey first arrived spring to mind).

So, think the whole Ngoo chant is racist is perhaps a bit of a jump.

Yes I agree. I find that an entirely reasonable and intelligent analysis

Edited by Magister