Southend match

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we had started to lose our rhythm just before the sending off and then didn't get properly organised to capitalise on 10 men. Came away thinking where did that come from but not too disheartened as we played well in the first half and were the better team.

Not a good day.  Oldham capitulated.  Chelsea lost and the cooker has given up.  Now what are we going to do with that duck we defrosted.

Talking of ducks wouldn't a win have been so boring - lets go to the wire at Wimbledon.

32 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Shez said in his interview 'no matter who I play up front we're not clinical enough', while he's just played the one who's come closest to being that striker at right back

Why isn't McLaughlin up front?

It would have meant Reckord at LB... Although I'd have Edmunson there to free McLaughlin up

4 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Shez said in his interview 'no matter who I play up front we're not clinical enough', while he's just played the one who's come closest to being that striker at right back

Why isn't McLaughlin up front?

McLaughlin also considers himself a right back, where he has played for both Liverpool and Northan Ireland set ups, he is out of position as a striker. Saying that he has played well whilst being played upfront 

4 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Shezs number one task whether  we survive or not will be to offload several mediocre "strikers" and do what Brown has done.

He's not going to have to off-load Erwin, who has been one of our better players recently.

Tope's contract runs out at the end of the season, and he is another one who again has had a good spell recently.

Osei, who looked a reasonable alternative early on in the season is presumably not on much money and I would think his contract also runs out at the end of the season.

Shez's #1 task is to GET at least another, if not another 2 decent strikers. But that has been the #1 task for every manager since Penney.

6 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He's not going to have to off-load Erwin, who has been one of our better players recently.

Tope's contract runs out at the end of the season, and he is another one who again has had a good spell recently.

Osei, who looked a reasonable alternative early on in the season is presumably not on much money and I would think his contract also runs out at the end of the season.

Shez's #1 task is to GET at least another, if not another 2 decent strikers. But that has been the #1 task for every manager since Penney.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Curtis Main return for next season.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

His form when he led the line had us in the top 6 form table.

His form pretty much everywhere else he's been has been mediocre, though. Can't see him ever being prolific, but despite that, he may well be better than what we've got...

Holloway can lead the line and is a better all round player. Main has a record of 1 goal every 7.4 games....we've had enough of those thanks very much!!! We need a proper reliable goal scorer....hard to find I know but it's about time we found one!!

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Holloway can lead the line and is a better all round player. Main has a record of 1 goal every 7.4 games....we've had enough of those thanks very much!!! We need a proper reliable goal scorer....hard to find I know but it's about time we found one!!

Whereas Holloway has scored 8 times in 90 football league appearances and has not scored in the last 12 months....Holloway has not played regularly anywhere , has not scored regularly anywhere and never played in a regularly winning team. ......

Mains record for us is 1 in 4, Holloways is 1 in 10.5 starts, hes got two goals in 21 starts and 2 sub appearances, they both came in a 3-2 defeat to Dale. Main kept us up last season with some important goals in big games I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

15 minutes ago, Magister said:

Whereas Holloway has scored 8 times in 90 football league appearances and has not scored in the last 12 months....Holloway has not played regularly anywhere , has not scored regularly anywhere and never played in a regularly winning team. ......

Where did I say Holloway was a goal scorer......I just think he's a better target man and hold up player. We are a much better and more threatening team with him in it. We need to get the right player to play alongside him but I just don't think Main is that player.

7 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

It's blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes that McLaughlin has to play up the pitch. He's a huge outlet for us. Even if that means sticking with the 3-5-2 against Sheff Utd and Edmundson starts at the back with Clarke and Gerrard.

Good shout that.

On 01/04/2017 at 7:08 PM, Magister said:

Not to mention Millwall Charlton and Bury

Nah, not having that at all. Ok, Millwall had the 2 penalties but for 90 minutes we didn't deserve to lose that game at all. Would've felt harsh to lose that game. Completely baffled by Charlton...we played well and we're deserved winners. Did you watch the same game as me? Defended stoutly in 2nd half. Bury could've gone either way. We were hampered greatly by a shit linesman too. 

Christ, we're in a tough spot but making it out like we've not deserved half the points we have picked up is nonsense. 

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Nah, not having that at all. Ok, Millwall had the 2 penalties but for 90 minutes we didn't deserve to lose that game at all. Would've felt harsh to lose that game. Completely baffled by Charlton...we played well and we're deserved winners. Did you watch the same game as me? Defended stoutly in 2nd half. Bury could've gone either way. We were hampered greatly by a shit linesman too. 

Christ, we're in a tough spot but making it out like we've not deserved half the points we have picked up is nonsense. 

Out of those games mentioned,  I only went to the Bury game. We deserved nothing from that game. In fact, we were lucky to score nil...