Southend match

Just now, Chris Richard said:

Well we fucked that up for ourselves didn't we? Other results going against us today. Not a good day at the office for the boys and Shez. 

some have some haven't.

def 2 from 7 now though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having been there it appears the red card was the worst thing that could have happened.

Maybe the shift from being in a game ultimately happy with a point to feeling we should get all 3 affected our rhythm.

Makes next week a serious test of character....

In my head we are absolutely terrible against 10 men (or even 9 on occasions).

Wonder what our record is and how it compares to the norm?

We were just getting in touching distance of having some clear water between us as the scrap and then we do this.

Still 2 points clear of enough teams to keep it on our own hands...

Excellent first half but, as usual, can't score. Second half poor by comparison and the last twenty minutes was shockingly bad. 

As soon as the red card happened you could see the change in momentum and Southend's players went for it and we looked shell shocked 

our problem remains the same, we play some nice football, get into good positions and then............????

i am afraid that Obedeyei runs around a lot but produces next to nothing and when you bring on a player like Ngoo you know you have problems up front, he truly is terrible 

just have to dust ourselves down and try again next week but our total lack of goal scorers always was likely to get us relegated and it's a minor miracle that we still have a decent chance of staying up 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

To be fair I didn't have us getting anything from these last two games.  So lets hope there is a reaction next week

Same here, had us down to lose to Sheff Utd and Southend, and only draw v Fleetwood, Bolton and Bristol Rovers, then beat Rochdale and draw with Wimbledon and stay up on 51 points.

So we are a point better than that. No time to panic. It's like a tee shot into the rough, take your medicine, move on and get your head right for the next shot.

Very harsh result. Well in the game until the sending off... Then defense went to sleep for 10 minutes for some reason. However the main difference today was in the final third. We didn't know what to do when we got into good  positions and Southend did. Could and should have had double the attempts on goal that we did. Fuck knows why we don't shoot more often. We need 3points from the next 2 games to give us a chance I think. KTF. 

We really looked like getting something from that. How 1 man less can make them so dominant is beyond me. I blame topoff we were doing well till he turned up at half time.

highlight of the game though was the cruyffesque turn by Banks to lose 3 players and then put a peach of a cross for Erwin who fucked it up.

erwin for me today was back to the drifter of old I really think we missed AAH

What a fiasco in the last few minutes.

We played well up until their sending off and the 285 fans like me who had made the long trip south all thought we would get at least a point.Then Latics rolled over to 10 men and lost the plot.Robinson changed the game for them How I hate that name..Just wish we had strikersl like they have.

We more than matched them until the sending off and played some good football and were in control of the game.Why is it that we play worse against 10.Not the first time this has happened.Again we huffed and puffed but no one to put tge ball in the net.A couple of tame shots by Banks and Erwin over the bar was about it.If we play like we did for the first 75 mins we will stay up but if we play like we did for the last 20 mins including 5 mins injury time then we are going down.

We have to pick ourselves up after that and get it out of our system.We need a couple of wins but where?

We definitely were not as bad as some are seemingly making out. They have 3 decent forwards, that was the difference today, as 2 of them turned up when they had to. 2 goals, both against the run of play, in 5 minutes and we were chasing our tails, even against 10 men.

That was our hardest game in 2017, and was always likely to be the case since Xmas. 

The next week is going to be a tough one for the players, we need leaders in the squad to step up and lead by example. I still think we'll be right as I can see us picking up points from every game left, and let's be honest we were due one of those games, so might as well be the one with our lowest chance of getting anything.

18 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

What a fiasco in the last few minutes.

We played well up until their sending off and the 285 fans like me who had made the long trip south all thought we would get at least a point.Then Latics rolled over to 10 men and lost the plot.Robinson changed the game for them How I hate that name..Just wish we had strikersl like they have.

We more than matched them until the sending off and played some good football and were in control of the game.Why is it that we play worse against 10.Not the first time this has happened.Again we huffed and puffed but no one to put tge ball in the net.A couple of tame shots by Banks and Erwin over the bar was about it.If we play like we did for the first 75 mins we will stay up but if we play like we did for the last 20 mins including 5 mins injury time then we are going down.

We have to pick ourselves up after that and get it out of our system.We need a couple of wins but where?

Have seen Southend a few times this season - as I'm only a stones thrown from Roots Hall. Brown's signing and use of Robinson has been very shrewd. He turned the recent game against Walsall and I think he gave McLaughlin - who had been decent going forward - problems down the flank after his introduction, McGlashan's introduction also made a difference. As has been said before, we knocked it about well but ran out of ideas/confidence when we got within sight of the goal. We also rarely, if ever, got in behind the full backs and gave ourselves opportunities to pull dangerous balls back into the box.

I thought our support was fantastic today - not big on numbers but loads of noise. Met up with some Southend-supporting mates after the match all of whom said we were the most vocal away fans this season. Highlight of the match - that bit of skill and cross from Banks in the first half. My (Southend-born) lads were very impressed.

Good for 70, dreadful for 20. A shame, but a point would in reality have been an unexpected bonus. Banks, despite his terrible set-pieces, played well first half, including one sublime turn and cross-field ball that Erwin sliced into row Z, and thought Green was quite good throughout. Obadeyi looks a threat, and Taylor held and used the ball well. Erwin was poor, and Clarke only won one header against Ranger all game - he's a good player at this level. Looked as though Law and McLaughlin respectively fell asleep for their first two goals. None of the subs made any positive contributions.

Had 0-0 written all over it until the sending off - Southend were organised and competent, but little more than that.