Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

What actually happened to trigger the handbags?  I'd switched off by then and only looked up when the crowd started shouting, to see McLaughlin push their chap (which I thought was a bit daft as he'd already been booked...).

Looked like a 2 footed challenge on McLaughlin

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, robboman said:

His distribution was shite

His throw-outs, particularly to the left wing back position, were far better than any attempted by our recent keepers. His kicking from hand was not very strong. However Ripley consistently kicked it directly to the opposition goalie, which was much worse! 

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

His throw-outs, particularly to the left wing back position, were far better than any attempted by our recent keepers. His kicking from hand was not very strong. However Ripley consistently kicked it directly to the opposition goalie, which was much worse! 

I was going to elaborate to say the same, but couldn't be bothered!

56 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I thought that, he seemed to leave so much space to his right hand side the goal was so easy!

Brian Wilson stood appealing for offside was the real cause.

Edited by BP1960

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Brian Wilson stood appealing for offside was the real cause.

Arguably you could say Clarke and Gerrard not stepping up to play offside properly was the real cause. 

The forward had run beyond Wilson in a central area, and I don't think Wilson was ever going to catch him. Clarke and/or Gerrard needed to track his run or play offside better.

The back 4 is a unit, especially when playing offside, or trying to, to blame it on the full-back is a bit disingenuous.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Arguably you could say Clarke and Gerrard not stepping up to play offside properly was the real cause. 

The forward had run beyond Wilson in a central area, and I don't think Wilson was ever going to catch him. Clarke and/or Gerrard needed to track his run or play offside better.

The back 4 is a unit, especially when playing offside, or trying to, to blame it on the full-back is a bit disingenuous.

Brian Wilson almost caught the goalscorer after hesitating for offside, this hesitation was costly IMO. I agree though the back 4 didnt work as a unit.

5 hours ago, JoeP said:

What actually happened to trigger the handbags?  I'd switched off by then and only looked up when the crowd started shouting, to see McLaughlin push their chap (which I thought was a bit daft as he'd already been booked...).

Might be trying to push through his move Futcher style by getting himself needlessly sent off.

Taken a few days to reflect before posting, but now time has passed my thoughts are as follows:

(1) Ben Wilson did OK, liked his quick throw distribution.  Goals were more down to the defence, and would have been really great saves if pulled off.

(2) First goal looked offside, but apparently not. The downside of having a slow centre back paring is that quick teams will spring the off-side trap.

(3) Too slow to support any attacks and all too often we either have 1 in th box OR we take that long, that the box is packed and we swing in a ball from the corner of th penalty box that is far too easy to defend.

Summary for me - started well and but dropped away quickly, especially after the first goal.

Last season we were a poor team, a very poor team, but Sheridan managed to instill confidence and self-belief into them.  Often for players at this level, the difference between being lauded for a good performance or booed for a bad, is simply that.

I have seen Banks / Green / Holloway etc play some great football when we are "up".  But worryingly for me, that 30 minutes into a new season, ours seems so fragile.

When we revert to our nervous state - we are truly very poor.  Clearly journalists and bookies think that is the way that the season will pan out, and if they are right we will be in another fight.

Can Shez (with maybe another one or two additions) keep us positive?

8 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Your point?  I haven't looked, but I'll guess they rested one or two.   Not that it matters one iota mind you.  

They did rest several including Payne, Burton will have Ripley and Palmer in tonight.