Shez - "I need five or six players"

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chaddy14 said:

I cannot believe that Corney would shell out wages, signing on fees er even nominal transfer fees for any player that Shez has clearly stated he does not want. Why would he?

I can believe that Shez wants players that Latics can't afford. Different issue entirely.

I tend to agree.

I'm sure it possibly happened in the early years, when Corney was green.

I'm sure it happened when Darren Kelly was clueless.

Possibly under Robinson.

It's likely to have happened between managers.

But to Shez? I can't see him putting up with that, certainly not the last two stints.
A far more likely explanation is contract extension triggers or existing contracts ie Banks.

And agree about players Shez would like v what we can afford.

Edited by singe

54 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Duffus Hunt Gyamfi.

I doubt Gyamfi, he singles him and Gardner out for praise and specifically gives Gyamfi time to improve.

"Gyamfi did okay and it's new to him. It was tough with the tempo of the game, but you can see he is a willing little player who works his socks off for the side. It won't do him any harm, first game, playing against such a good side.
"He came through it well. He was a bit tired at the end and I was always going to take him off, but he has a go and his ability on the ball is most important for me - I don't want him running back and tracking as much as he does.
"I would like him to be more effective up the other end of the pitch, but that will come with games."   From Matt Chambers in the Chron

21 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

When I heard this morning about these 2 players, the other one I thought of was Hunt. Again, a young lad on a long deal that if he does well we can make money from. If he is the other one, then a 3yr deal sees Shez's "budget" being spent for him.

Surely his budget only covers a season at a time. ie.only the first year goes into the budget for this year?

According to Alan Nixon on twitter:

Trialist keeper may sign. Looking at midfield.

Goes on to say further that the midfielder is 'ok'

Also stated - 'Decision in a day or so' when asked whether they'll be in for Saturday and also mentioned 'Might even be a young forward if things land right'

I'm firmly expecting ZERO signings :lol:

33 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

According to Alan Nixon on twitter:

Trialist keeper may sign. Looking at midfield.

Goes on to say further that the midfielder is 'ok'

Also stated - 'Decision in a day or so' when asked whether they'll be in for Saturday and also mentioned 'Might even be a young forward if things land right'

I'm firmly expecting ZERO signings :lol:

And it is quotes like this that make me think Sheridan hasn't got a bloody clue about who is in his squad and after Saturday where they can play-what on earth do we need another forward for on our limited budget?

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

And it is quotes like this that make me think Sheridan hasn't got a bloody clue about who is in his squad and after Saturday where they can play-what on earth do we need another forward for on our limited budget?

Because the ones we have struggle with scoring goals probably.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

We don't take enough shots, only 23 in 3 games.

Bristol Rovers have had 60.

Again you could say this is down to the lack of service/support from midfield, before we go writing more forwards off wouldn't it be wiser to concentrate on the area of the pitch every man and his dog knows we are piss poor in? 

We don't take enough shots, only 23 in 3 games.

Bristol Rovers have had 60.

But it remains a midfield  problem........forwards are not getting the ball in an area where they can take a shot. And the midfield have been generally poor in getting into attacking areas.

We do need another midfielder, not convinced Duffus/Holloway/Osei suddenly start scoring off the back of it though.

How about we create them a chance or too and let them shoot a couple of times before we jump to that conclusion?

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

How about we create them a chance or too and let them shoot a couple of times before we jump to that conclusion?

I always find good strikers create their own chances, usually via shooting.

We do need to find a way of playing with a more attacking mindset though yes.

Just now, deyres42 said:

I always find good strikers create their own chances, usually via shooting.

We do need to find a way of playing with a more attacking mindset though yes.

Good strikers can create their own chances but you'll find that those striker create their own chances when supplied the ball good areas.

I've seen 3 home games and I can only remember once when Davies snatched at it vs Oxford that a striker had an opportunity within the box.

For the forwards to have a chance we need to give them a quick ball out of defence via quick thinking midfield players. Banks and Flynn are not good enough and Fane is only around to be a midfield thug. From his debut, I can see it in Gardner's game but he needs to be able to bring his game to the opposition and not sat in front of the defence.

I know a lot of people are complaining about budget but I'm not sure it's actually that small (although still one of the smaller in the league no doubt). The bigger problem is it's been wasted. Banks is a complete waste of a wage in this division, Craig Davies for all his effort is also a waste, he is over the hill and does nothing Holloway can't - he isn't a player with a great football brain and now his physical attributes are on the wane he has little to offer. Our core first 11 is actually an ok team and should be comfortably mid table:

Wilson(?)

Hunt

Clarke 

Gerrard

Wilson

Gyamfi

Gardner

Green 

McG

Holloway

Duffus

I would like to see us get another striker in, someone intelligent on the ball but we don't have the budget as it's been wasted on Davies. I'd like to see another midfielder in with a bit of tenacity but it's been wasted on Banks. Flynn is also a big chunk of wage gone on a player that is very injury prone and very inconsistent. He is a decent player but not sure he is right for our situation - a 'luxury' we can't afford.Obviously he was brought in pre-Shez but I would have been going all out to move him on to free up budget. I don't have the same issues others have with Fane. We have some good youngsters who supplement the squad and are worth some game time, Fawns, Stott, Edmundson, Osei. It's a shame the budget has been wasted by a combination of Shez, Corney and Robinson.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Because the ones we have struggle with scoring goals probably.

Tell you what-let's just keep signing strikers until we have a team of 10-sod it let's put one in goal as well and then we should score goals based upon your logic.

Still seems to be this blind spot or maybe he just doesn't know that the midfield is not good enough as it stands.

51 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Tell you what-let's just keep signing strikers until we have a team of 10-sod it let's put one in goal as well and then we should score goals based upon your logic.

Still seems to be this blind spot or maybe he just doesn't know that the midfield is not good enough as it stands.

I think he probably does know.

He probably also knows that there isn't much if any scope to do much about it.