Shez - "I need five or six players"

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Nonsense!!! Holloway won't play ten games ? Wanna bet ? 

It was a bit of sarcasm, but if he plays double that, with 6 goals at most he will be well worth the wage and fee we paid for him off the mighty fleetwood ?

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Lags said:

I ain't taking it as one up manship, you've made a point of view in there.

Seen him quite a few times down at Bower fold, I reside in Stalybridge abd possibly seen him in all his Latics games.

For me he's non league/league two and wouldn't be prolific.

Fair play. That's what I was thinking that you would have seen him in non league. Here's hoping your wrong then ?

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Pretty sure Shez didn't even sign Banks or Flynn.

Fuckin Shez, wasting all of our wages on Banks and Flynn ?

Spot on. Shez can rightfully claim this is not his team. And a couple of the signings we have made, I fully believe Corney is behind a couple of them rather than Shez.

As for Holloway, I did laugh when Corney banged on about what he paid for Holloway. Only disclosed when it suits, eh. Sceptical. And like Lee Sinnott says, I was a quite surprised by it.

I'm not going to slate Holloway's ability too much coz the service he gets is often dogshit....BUT....he's one of the weakest players we've ever seen. He reminds me of Craig Dudley for brittleness. I'm doubtful of hiim being the answer...but when this side can make Erwin look shit (who then finally delivered when the rest helped him out) they too can make others look shit. Jury on Holloway is firmly out.

Edited by boundaryblue80

2 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Spot on. Shez can rightfully claim this is not his team. And a couple of the signings we have made, I fully believe Corney is behind a couple of them rather than Shez.

Whilst I agree he needs to get on with it and get  a tune out of them. A good start would be to stop implementing crazy tactics too.

13 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Not many were complaining about Holloway signing, he hasn't produced the goods yet, it happens.

Hate to say it (not really)  but I pointed out to those telling the world we'd signed a Championship forward that he didn't score goals, played his game in the wrong areas but held the ball up superbly. Lots of money for a lad that just holds the ball up...

6 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Hate to say it (not really)  but I pointed out to those telling the world we'd signed a Championship forward that he didn't score goals, played his game in the wrong areas but held the ball up superbly. Lots of money for a lad that just holds the ball up...

I like Holloway. If we had someone next to him who could score , I still believe he would be a massive player for us. I'm not giving up on any of them after a handful of games. Except Banks of course he can fuck off , oh and Flynn haha. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Holloway is actually a very good centre forward, service is the issue imo, he by far one of our better players 

As I pointed out earlier.....it would seem he's had bad service all his career. His goals tally is the same no matter which team, shocking return in terms of goals.

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I like Holloway. If we had someone next to him who could score , I still believe he would be a massive player for us. I'm not giving up on any of them after a handful of games. Except Banks of course he can fuck off , oh and Flynn haha. 

Yeah he has the qualities to be a good player but he needs to show more life in the box rather than outside it & not just in the air. Would love a striker at the club who anticipated what might happen rather than waiting for the ball to reach them.

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

Yeah he has the qualities to be a good player but he needs to show more life in the box rather than outside it & not just in the air. Would love a striker at the club who anticipated what might happen rather than waiting for the ball to reach them.

I reck if he did have a good poacher partnering him he would get lots of assists and score a few more as the pressure would be off him. 

I understand your view, but just to put it into perspective, he was in a Wycombe side where by the end he didn't want to play as he was forcing a move to a bigger club, he was very well thought of at Wycombe. He then came to us, and was a pretty big influence for us in providing the service and hold up play for main for expample to score the goals(yes I know he got injured) . He then went to fleetwood played a handful of games and got injured again granted, so can't really judge that spell. Here we are now, and he's playing in a team where pretty much everyone on here can agree it's the worst CM in an extremely long time. Yes he's not a goal scorer, but he's bloody good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, not his fault that currently no one is even moving to receive the ball. For example, if we played Osei and duffus, neither can hold the ball up well, so Clarke and others will be hoofing it to them to bypass our awful midfield, the ball will come straight back as they can't hold it up, alternatively they can Mick it down the channels, but this only ever comes off a handful of times, and will mean the all will come back at us. With Holloway a least the ball sticks with him and gives us some time, it's then up to everyone else to bloody move and offer an option, but they don't. Anyway just my opinion on the situation. 

8 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

"Not being my team" can be said by any manager taking over a team that doesn't perform because no manager takes over a team and starts with a completely new line-up.

For the previous two seasons, Sheridan has come in using the existing squad and backroom staff,  adding a couple of players and then creating a "Backs to the wall, Dunkirk, they don't like it up 'em" attitude which has worked. Here, he has the benefit of a close season to work with existing players, bring in new faces and mould a team but it looks a "Dog and Duck 3rd. team" (with apologies to anyone who plays for the Dog and Duck 3rd. team) after a few pints.

Sheridan is not blameless in all of this.....his chosen coaching staff includes two ex-midfield players and a goalkeeping coach...........who is going to help the forwards and the defenders to get better? I have yet to see the benefit of the midfield coaches on our midfield players who look lost at sea in the midfield area and cluless at what to do when required to assist in defence and attack.

As for Holloway, Sheridan thought him good enough and effective enough the first time around to lead the attack and keep Main out wide. And, I'm surmising, would have had a word with Corney to try and secure his services during the 2016 close season.

On your above comment, BB80, what makes you fully believe that point?

18 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Holloway is actually a very good centre forward, service is the issue imo, he by far one of our better players 

6 minutes ago, Lags said:

As I pointed out earlier.....it would seem he's had bad service all his career. His goals tally is the same no matter which team, shocking return in terms of goals.

4 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Once he's won it, or held it up & laid it off, or both he thinks that's job done. 

He doesn't seem desperate to score goals.

That said neither do the players who should be feeding off his hold up play....

Osei, Kyeremeh or McLaughlin playing off him upfront could do something with their movement. As could Gardner played behind a front two.  

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He then came to us, and was a pretty big influence for us in providing the service and hold up play for main for expample to score the goals(yes I know he got injured) .  

Main only scored 4 goals for us. 

Holloway didn't play in any of those games. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Once he's won it, or held it up & laid it off, or both he thinks that's job done. 

He doesn't seem desperate to score goals.

That said neither do the players who should be feeding off his hold up play....

Osei, Kyeremeh or McLaughlin playing off him upfront could do something with their movement. As could Gardner played behind a front two.  

Would he benefit from a forwards coach?

Now, HB...........put those three behind Holloway with Gardner and Green/Fane in front of defence. Gardner can certainly tackle and distribute with Green/Fane as a "ratter"?

7 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

"Not being my team" can be said by any manager taking over a team that doesn't perform because no manager takes over a team and starts with a completely new line-up.

Steve Robinson did just 12 months ago. 

Fuck me, is it FAKE NEWS day on here? :lol:

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Steve Robinson did just 12 months ago. 

Fuck me, is it FAKE NEWS day on here? :lol:

Give you that one...we had one starting and two on the bench from the previous season.

OK then..."Not being my team" can be said by any manager taking over a team that doesn't perform because "VERY RARELY"  does a manager takes over a team and starts with a completely new line-up.

15 hours ago, OL9erlatic said:

Not sure why I am reading so much support for our strikers, im not confident that any of them would bag 10 in a league season as i have said earlier, even if we had a decent midfield nevermind a good one.

What worries me, as others have said is the wasted wages. Im going to hazard a guess to our highest earners.

1. Clarke (understandable after last season, even though he has been shaky to say the least so far this)

2. Holloway 

3. Flynn

4. Gerrard

5. Davies

For a team without a pot to piss in, 3/4 of them are a complete waste

I can see that Flynn is a 'complete waste' but I'm not sure any of the others deserve that label.  Yes, you might argue that the money could be better used elsewhere but 'complete waste' would be harsh on Gerrard and Holloway, despite their respective shortcomings, and it's a bit early to write Davies off.