• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Most of you haven't worked it out yet but some of you are getting closer

John Sheridan has worked wonders for our Club, saving us from relegation twice in recent years

Problem as I see it though, is that the very same John Sheridan who can galvanise a group of players behind a cause, appears to only be able to do so for a short period of time

As soon as he gets past the completion of the initial objective (usually survival) he seems to lose faith in the players or more concerning, the players start to lose trust in him

His recent public outbursts, "some players are only giving 60/70%" and "we need 5 or 6 new players" and him bizarrely playing average players out of position, for me, just further demonstrate his poor team building / management skills

A wonderful footballer in his day, but why, with the 'Championship Manager Merry Go Round' has he not be snapped up, or even by a League One prospective promotion team

We're three games in - what are you saying?  Sack him?

People were calling Corney all sorts for letting him walk away just over a year ago! 

1 minute ago, Magister said:

Check out my posts of Jan 2017

I would but really can't be arsed traveling through historical posts - but makes me laugh that those saying he should go so early (not saying you're one) will be the exact same gobshites calling him a traitor and spouting the loyalty bollocks when he left for Notts County 

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

OUR LEAGUE 1 STATUS, our last attempt at promotion, few years of watching a brilliant player. Who came out of retirement with a dodgy knee and was still our best player! U count that season, he saved us 3 times from relegation! God knows where we'd be now! Playing Stockport probably!

How many managers have we had in this division who have not got us relegated.."....Talbot penny Dickov dowse dunn Robinson Kelly Johnson and goodness knows how many more....but we owe our league one status to Shez....Get real

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

The guys a legend! No other was to spin it. Anyone who disagrees, wasn't there when he was hobbling around the pitch winning us games. The penalty at Hillsboro, he a hero!

So is  Andy .....did not make him a successful manager for us

Just now, Magister said:

How many managers have we had in this division who have not got us relegated.."....Talbot penny Dickov dowse dunn Robinson Kelly Johnson and goodness knows how many more....but we owe our league one status to Shez....Get real

Robinson, Kelly, Dunn, Penney didn't finish the season - fairly certain all would have taken us down but yes let's forget what Shez did after the disasters of Dunn and Robinson and sack him 

Welcome back Futchersbriefs...

That was awful today, not going to be too technical, but Sheridan changed his shape and side against the wrong team. Players in wrong position a plenty and too many players looking up to others who aren't up to it - worrying signs early on. A good manager would see it is wrong, change it and be brave, I worry that Shez is too stubborn to do that! Lots of players with shoulders and heads down so early on in the season - it was crap!

3 minutes ago, futchers briefs said:

That was awful today, not going to be too technical, but Sheridan changed his shape and side against the wrong team. Players in wrong position a plenty and too many players looking up to others who aren't up to it - worrying signs early on. A good manager would see it is wrong, change it and be brave, I worry that Shez is too stubborn to do that! Lots of players with shoulders and heads down so early on in the season - it was crap!

No it wasn't....he's a legend

3 minutes ago, futchers briefs said:

Weird too...I was an advocate of signing Clarke, Brian Wilson, Green etc as the older heads that would pick the team up when the shit hits the fan but they are nowhere to be seen. Why is confidence so low? Did not signing ripley when it looked possible knock the wind out of their sales? Feels like something has killed us very early on, it did after Oxford. 

6 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Weird too...I was an advocate of signing Clarke, Brian Wilson, Green etc as the older heads that would pick the team up when the shit hits the fan but they are nowhere to be seen. Why is confidence so low? Did not signing ripley when it looked possible knock the wind out of their sales? Feels like something has killed us very early on, it did after Oxford. 

Clarke, Gerrard,Wilson,Green,Davies.......I can't imagine anybody but would object to any of the individual 30 plus players...but I would suggest that is too many in a squad, Collectively do they make us an ageing squad? Are all  5 on their last contracts as pro footballers ? They provide experience and know how but what about hunger enthusiasm energy and ambition?  

1 minute ago, Magister said:

...and who would be responsible for that?

No idea mate - but it's not a great feeling  is it? - I just find it strange how after the first couple of pre season games we seem to have 'settled ' into this current mindset..

Just a few thoughts I've had this evening...

We won't come up against a better team in League One this season... that being said, the performance was below part for most of the game and it was always lost once the second went in.

Square pegs in round holes, seemed more like a cry to Corney that we need strengthening.

Gardner was a positive, passing was rusty but should improve with game time.

People are being overly harsh on Ben Wilson, his distribution isn't great, but I don't think there has been one goal so far that's been his fault. (Although on review of the second goal today, he didn't do himself justice. But neither did any of the other four/five players involved in the goal)

Holloway can't play up front on his own. Never has been able to and never will, he won't even get 5 goals all season.

Massive room for improvement, but 43 games to go. A week and a half to make significant improvements to the midfield, time to shake the magic money tree again, Simon.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Just to be clear, are you saying sack him now?

just  questioning the infallibility mantra of the cult of Sheridan.....the pre-season preparation was poor, recruitment obviously hit a problem, we don't appear to have a preferred system, the players look flat, there have been some iill advised press briefings, we have lost 6 on the trot......I think the question is definitely on the table

5 minutes ago, Magister said:

just  questioning the infallibility mantra of the cult of Sheridan.....the pre-season preparation was poor, recruitment obviously hit a problem, we don't appear to have a preferred system, the players look flat, there have been some iill advised press briefings, we have lost 6 on the trot......I think the question is definitely on the table

Nope.  Too early...

Some player ratings :)

Ben Wilson - 5/10
Distribution was generally OK on a very windy day. Couldn't be expected to save Wigan's first but better communication and compusure may have prevented Wigan's second. 
A couple of regulation saves, along with a generous manager appraisal may build some much needed confidence.

Dummigan - 5/10
A willing runner but too often the cause of lost attacking momentum by taking an easy backwards pass. Looks a different player to the marauding wing-back seen during his initial loan spell.

Clarke - 4/10
A dismal start to the season continues for Latics' captain. Took the physical battle to Wigan today and made a couple of key interceptions but could perhaps have marshaled the defense better for the first (stopped the short corner / cross) and definitely for the second. 

Gerrard - 4/10
A lackluster performance. Struggled with the speed of the Wigan forwards.

Hunt - 4/10
Looked lost in midfield. Not quick enough to exploit attacking opportunities and didn't prevent Wigan from playing through midfield in the first half. Would have been better at leftback.

Brian Wilson - 4/10
Not a left back but performed the most basic of defensive duties. Failed to get forward throughout the game.

Banks - 4/10
Unable to hold onto possession in the first half. Tackle shy and lacking fight. A back heeled shot the flamboyant highlight of a performance which didn't get the basics right.

Gardner - 6
A measured debut as a holding / deep lying play maker. Moved the ball well and looked to bring players into the game in useful positions. 

Holloway - 3
Cut an isolated figure for 60 minutes and wasn't able to hold onto possession. Wasn't ever in a threatening position when a cross came in.

Kyeremeh - 6
An enthusiastic debut from a tricky player with a very low centre of gravity; showed glimpses of skill and ability but also struggled with the pace of the game at times.

McLaughlin - 7
Stand out performer. Had the beating of the left back aerially. Troubled the Wigan defense with attacking runs and put in a number of excellent crosses, albeit to an empty penalty area. 

Osei - 5
Got involved and offered a different challenge for the Wigan defense. Lacked composure after getting into some useful positions.

Duffus - 3
Needs to show more to earn a place in the starting eleven. Out muscled and had little impact on the game.

Fawns - N/A
A useful cameo.

Sheridan - 3
Up against it today against quality opposition. Made a number of decisions which contributed to the scoreline.
A relatively negative home formation (4-1-4-1) which invited pressure with Wigan having little to no worries from a lone isolated striker. 
A number of failed experiments with Wilson in at leftback and Hunt pushed into midfield.
Persevering with one up front for the whole of the first half was questionable.
Seemingly asked the team to pass the ball out even when Wigan were pressing hard - admirable but also doesn't account for our current squad's ability levels.

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If we ever miss Ousmane Fane, then were in massive trouble. Amazed he hasn't signed for someone like Barnet yet. That said, I'm not quite sure of the logic of Sheridan, playing a right back (who he has been playing as left back up until today) in centre mid this afternoon...

Fully agree the only time we have missed Ousmane Fane is when he has been sent off as it has left us a man short.

I have a theory about playing Hunt in midfield- I think Shez did it as a point scoring exercise aimed at Fane. Shez blames Fane for the winner last week, and hasn't been impressed with him overall, so instead of playing him as the tackler/ball winner because Green is injured, instead he picks Hunt a RB who plays LB as the next best alternative, showing to Fane that just because he is the only available doesn't mean he is going to play if he was poor the week before.

This also sends a similar message to other players to buck their ideas up, with the exception of the GK, who is the only one available.

15 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Fully agree the only time we have missed Ousmane Fane is when he has been sent off as it has left us a man short.

I have a theory about playing Hunt in midfield- I think Shez did it as a point scoring exercise aimed at Fane. Shez blames Fane for the winner last week, and hasn't been impressed with him overall, so instead of playing him as the tackler/ball winner because Green is injured, instead he picks Hunt a RB who plays LB as the next best alternative, showing to Fane that just because he is the only available doesn't mean he is going to play if he was poor the week before.

This also sends a similar message to other players to buck their ideas up, with the exception of the GK, who is the only one available.

Yes and playing hunt in midfield changed all the dynamics in midfield,we cut Wigan apart and had so many chances doing this switch, shez is a fecking genius making this switch!! 

5 hours ago, Magister said:

To spell it out you mean relegated at Chesterfield, then failed to achieve at the richest club in the league, Plymouth, then had a brief sojourn at Newport before walking out on them, then walked out on us before making a fool of himself at Notts county?

Aside from the rest of the negative spin, Plymouth were far from the richest team.  Try recently recovered from bankruptcy.

Just got in, and after that shower im going to comment before reading any other posters that might cloud my judgement.

That first 15 minutes was one of the worst spells of football i have ever seen home or away it was fucking ridiculous. I had said to numerous fans before the game that Powell is the best player im this league by a country mile and it was criminal how much space we gave him for his 55 minute cameo, how he wasnt instructed to be man marked is beyond me is mind boggling, Fane or Green should have been stuck to him like glue by hey ho Sheridan proving his point to the hierarchy plays a full back in attacking midfield instead......fucking ridiculous.

I was worried pre season bt fuck me im seriously worried now, that could have been 6 if they wanted it, i love Clarke but him and Gerrard......iv seen oil tankers turn faster than them 2......Dummigan is a shell of the lad we had on loan, fair play to Gardner he was our best player bt fuck me that is a piss poor excuse for a midfield and Holloway.....i feel sorry for the poor lad.....anyone who criticises him.....u get the ball twatted at you from 50 yard away and nobody within 20 yards of you and see how many times you keep possesion.....people need to wake up we may only be 3 games in but this is a horrendous side and the team i thoughr would finish below us (Shrewsbury) are already 9 points above us. I know its a long season but i have never felt this way after 3 games before.  Rant over

one thing that realy stood out for me was how poor our gamesman ship was today no now nouse or guile from us .wigan on the otherhand were masters at it every time we had a free kick one of there players would stand over the ball slowing play every time we got a corner or a throw there defenders wouldwalk away/dribble the ball  away so preventing quick play from us .our players on the otherhand when kicks awarded against them just stood around gawping waiting instructions .we just seem to be to "nice "

13 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I know you can't contain him but do you think that interview follows a quiet word from the board after the last interview?

Yes absolutely. He's definitely been told to rein it in or been given a seditive before he goes on! I also think if he went on another massive rant it would have made him completely vulnerable to ridicule in completely lost the players. He still alludes to needing new players but surely even Corney can see that now. We lost against a good team today, time to move on and tighten up for Pool on Saturday.