Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's far too early to judge if RW is the right man for the job yet. He has done a great job so far and speaks really well, showing knowledge and nouse. If a different manager were brought with experience he could be judged on that experience and his knowledge at interview. 

However he has done well enough to earn an extended run, to see how he reacts when we lose some games.

21 minutes ago, robboman said:

Got a few things right recently

Not hard to predict though, as we are skint.

Interesting though, where that leaves the investor situation, and any input they had.

He did say Stubbs was 99% there, and that Wellens told too inexperienced. So quite a bit of backtracking.
I'm open minded as to whether he is legit though.

Edited by singe

58 minutes ago, losesome said:

Given the current situation and the way things have gone since Shez left I cant think of one single reason why he SHOULDN'T  be given the job.

Exactly

Wellens has got us playing some of the best football we've seen in years.

Watching the highlights I actually want to go to the games which hasn't been the case over the past few seasons.

7 hours ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Bryne said in his interview Richie Wellens approached him first and then Sheridan so was that a great find by Richie?

I think he said that Wellens was the first one to meet him when he came to the club. IE welcome him, show him around and introduce him to his new team mates.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Talbot won 7 on the bounce!

But I don’t think anyone enjoyed the football played under Talbot.  Seem to remember playing 1 up front a lot at home....zzzzzzz.

In fact Talbot, Wadsworth (another with a good win ratio), Warnock, Moore, Penny, Kelly, Robinson...jeez we have had to put up with some god awful football at times, even when winning.

Ritchie, Dickov, Sheridan, Johnson - whilst not always successful did at least seem to understand that it is an entertainment industry at its heart.  Wellens so far seems to fit into this group as well.

Dowie was always an odd one.  Results wise did well (away more than home) but they were offen not as entertaining as the players we had should have been capable of producing.

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

But I don’t think anyone enjoyed the football played under Talbot.  Seem to remember playing 1 up front a lot at home....zzzzzzz.

In fact Talbot, Wadsworth (another with a good win ratio), Warnock, Moore, Penny, Kelly, Robinson...jeez we have had to put up with some god awful football at times, even when winning.

Ritchie, Dickov, Sheridan, Johnson - whilst not always successful did at least seem to understand that it is an entertainment industry at its heart.  Wellens so far seems to fit into this group as well.

Dowie was always an odd one.  Results wise did well (away more than home) but they were offen not as entertaining as the players we had should have been capable of producing.

I always always find a win entertaining! I'd take getting battered for 90 mins every week and getting the victory over anything 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

I remember watching the Latics take on Huddersfield at BP, back in late 2002 I was there with my two daughters and one of them said "Dad, look. The scoreboard says 1-0 already." This was in the first minute, as the match started and about two minutes in, Clyde Wijnhard scored, much to the amusement of my daughters who then believed the scoreboard was psychic. I think Latics won 4-0 and it was the fifth or sixth win on the bounce.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

I remember watching the Latics take on Huddersfield at BP, back in late 2002 I was there with my two daughters and one of them said "Dad, look. The scoreboard says 1-0 already." This was in the first minute, as the match started and about two minutes in, Clyde Wijnhard scored, much to the amusement of my daughters who then believed the scoreboard was psychic. I think Latics won 4-0 and it was the fifth or sixth win on the bounce.

I went to that game

11 hours ago, al_bro said:

For me, it's far too early to judge if RW is the right man for the job yet. He has done a great job so far and speaks really well, showing knowledge and nouse. If a different manager were brought with experience he could be judged on that experience and his knowledge at interview. 

However he has done well enough to earn an extended run, to see how he reacts when we lose some games.

Sean gregan has left Darlington after 5 days due to a conflict of interests BBC sports are reporting, he could be the ideal right hand man to help wellens.