Next Oldham Manager?

3 minutes ago, Clifford said:

The reason Scholes has turned it down before is the lack of investment makes it a very hard job. I'm told he has met with us, I suppose if he is appointed that means we have some decent funding. He wouldn't meet without interest in the job, if he thinks the money isn't there then he will probably walk away.

Yes, I was told the same by a mate of his last time the job was available. He's very aware that he needs to make a good impression in his first job or it could be the end of his managerial career before it's really started. He's always felt previously that it's almost an impossible job for a new manager with such limited funds, hence his "right job, wrong time" comment.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Clifford said:

The reason Scholes has turned it down before is the lack of investment makes it a very hard job. I'm told he has met with us, I suppose if he is appointed that means we have some decent funding. He wouldn't meet without interest in the job, if he thinks the money isn't there then he will probably walk away.

He told me the reason he didn't take it before was because taking on Latics (or any management role) would be a 24/7 job and he didn't think it was fair to his kids. He'd spent a lot of his time away from home during his playing days and this time away from home was one of the reasons he quit playing for England. And initially retired from United. This was in March 2015, maybe now circumstances in his family life are different.

I think most of us expected a new manager in before the Blackburn game but it hasn’t turned out that way.

Do you think that Richie’s interview is scheduled for 3pm Saturday?

Another performance and a positive result and the job could be his - if we don’t perform and get beaten then it will be a new man?

7 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

I think most of us expected a new manager in before the Blackburn game but it hasn’t turned out that way.

Do you think that Richie’s interview is scheduled for 3pm Saturday?

Another performance and a positive result and the job could be his - if we don’t perform and get beaten then it will be a new man?

It seems a strange thing to say but this is arguably the best position we could be in going into the biggest home game of the season..

A new man would have had excuses galore, even if RIchie had it permanently already that could change the dynamic a bit....

This way it's as you were after Portsmouth and Peterborough but with the added incentive of him being able to make it almost impossible to overlook him if we win....

And I'm sure he'll have put it to the players that, if they don't get another good result for him, they might get a right cunt next who doesn't fancy any of them....

Win, win, win....

PS

Isn't it nice to be playing proper, decent sized rivals for once rather than the tinpot shite we've had to try to muster a fuck about these last several years...? 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, bozman said:

No decision until after the Bradford game according to Mike.

@MikeKeegan_DM’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/918856571534348288?s=09

It's the cynic in me, but wouldn't surprise me if Abdallah is expecting us to get 0 points in the next 2 games and is then free to appoint his foreign coach without a massive backlash...

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's the cynic in me, but wouldn't surprise me if Abdallah is expecting us to get 0 points in the next 2 games and is then free to appoint his foreign coach without a massive backlash...

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist....i agree with the cynic in you......would be an interesting conundrum for Abdallah if we got 4 or more points from next 2

7 minutes ago, leeslover said:

But again- until we know what the objectives of the proposed investment/takeover Are, how do we know how much our results in the next few ga.es are relevant?

Agree. It's not so much about the results, it's about te investment for me.

If it falls through Wellens. If it comes in, it looks like a high profile appontment. Of course depending who t hat is decides if Wellens stays.
I'd think th MK report is correct, would that not be the time the investment/takeover is announced which you'd think assume will be first to be announced.

1 minute ago, leeslover said:

But again- until we know what the objectives of the proposed investment/takeover Are, how do we know how much our results in the next few ga.es are relevant?

I think that is the point......the results in the next 2 games are irrelevant to the vision  of the investor for after takeover. ....what the next 2 results do though is set a presentational issue if we were to win both.   It is quite feasible that  had we not won the last 3 the new manager would already have announced.

It would worry me if the vision for a multi million pound investment had not been planned and developed over a period and those  plans were ditched because of 270 minutes of football

Incredible what’s happening at Latics at the moment. Wellens bagging all these wins - I’d never have bet on that. 

Glad I’ve bet on us to finish top six though...

i think an escape from this godforsaken League is coming - and bloody hell, it could be an escape in the right direction.

Big week next week.