Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Wellens will definitely get time from us fans if things go wrong, but it's still a difficult situation.  I'm sure that the the people in charge would've had someone lined up and I think they'll still be waiting in the wings even now.

Hopefully that spurs Wellens onto even greater things than already.  Best of luck to him.

If the takeover goes through, I don't see the new owners giving him much time if results start to go awry.  I think this will be a slightly relcutant appointment, based on Wellens' record as caretaker and that it won't take much for him to be replaced by their preferred candidate.

1 minute ago, Stevie_J said:

If the takeover goes through, I don't see the new owners giving him much time if results start to go awry.  I think this will be a slightly relcutant appointment, based on Wellens' record as caretaker and that it won't take much for him to be replaced by their preferred candidate.

I know what you mean but is the preferred candidate just waiting in the wings from his dream job at OAFC ?

I'm really hoping this is a good sign about the takeover. Cannot see Simon Corney not allowing Abdullah an input as they are friends, get on well and going to lots of the games together when they can.

It is also promising that Abdullah, if he did get involved, has reacted to the results & performance rather than dogmatically trying to get his own man in place and possibly sensed the fans reaction too.

New thread for an unconfirmed suggestion that he may, soon, be made manager

Can we wait till it is confirmed to save people time clicking on the link

" Oldham Athletic are set to appoint Richie Wellens as manager on a full-time basis after a spell as caretaker, BBC Radio Manchester understands. "  - from the above site

35 minutes ago, scotty doesn't know said:

4 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

New thread for an unconfirmed suggestion that he may, soon, be made manager

Can we wait till it is confirmed to save people time clicking on the link

" Oldham Athletic are set to appoint Richie Wellens as manager on a full-time basis after a spell as caretaker, BBC Radio Manchester understands. "  - from the above site

Merged.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Still a risk, but on merit there's no way he shouldn't get the job.

I don't see it as a risk.

Not only have the results been great but the style of play has been the same throughout them all and the effort levels have been consistent, i.e. they've not been fluked.

Barring injuries, or off field shenanigans, it's repeatable for the rest of the season. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Not only have the results been great but the style of play has been the same throughout them all and the effort levels have been consistent, i.e. they've not been fluked.

Barring injuries, or off field shenanigans, it's repeatable for the rest of the season. 

Oppposition fans now think we are a good team, that's a good sign.

15 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

And it's been done over, arguably, our toughest run of fixtures.

4 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

And it's been done over, arguably, our toughest run of fixtures.

Keep up the current form and 20 points plus from the next 10 shouldn’t be a problem. That sets us up nicely for a play off push in the second half of the season. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Keep up the current form and 20 points plus from the next 10 shouldn’t be a problem. That sets us up nicely for a play off push in the second half of the season. 

Let's hope that Banks and Holloway can step up to the plate when Byrne and Doyle go back in January

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

To call Scholes a token fan is jiust plain wrong.  Of course he's not a fan in the way that a lifetime season ticket holder is, after all he's been quite busy on most Saturdays for sometime now.  He clearly holds a keen interest but being a fan doens't mean that he has tosacrifice his career/wealth/sanity for the cause.  Pretty much every fan of whatever sort could put more into the club if they chose to do so but it doesn't mean they have to

I'll agree maybe "token" fan was possibly not the correct choice of word. I stand by my feelings about his decision though.

18 minutes ago, singe said:

Our results by League table. Whilst Richie Wellens form has been majestic, and it is unquestionably the right decicsion, Shez did have a relatively tough start.

DMa27sNXkAAdUwo.jpg

Does that suggest we are currently a mid to top half side. Just shy of the play off sides??

36 minutes ago, singe said:

Our results by League table. Whilst Richie Wellens form has been majestic, and it is unquestionably the right decicsion, Shez did have a relatively tough start.

DMa27sNXkAAdUwo.jpg

Very revealing.  Which site shows the table this way?