Next Oldham Manager?

13 minutes ago, tGWB said:

This is not a time for sentiment and certainly not about considering appointing ex players with no/little management experience at all

If we don't get this next Manager appointment right we seriously risk the drop into League 2 which holds the 'trapdoor to oblivion'

Chesterfield and Port Vale are currently in the bottom 3 of League 2, very similar Clubs to ourselves

A Manager of experience is critical now

I might have agreed, before watching the match last night. I am happy for things to go on behind the scenes, and let RW carry on and entertain us for now.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, manshaw said:

I might have agreed, before watching the match last night. I am happy for things to go on behind the scenes, and let RW carry on and entertain us for now.

You cant seriously believe a man who was part of the coaching team has magically turned everything round for us in a few days

The recent additions of Eoin Doyle, Kean Bryan, Jack Byrne and less recently Dan Gardner have give us a better chance to compete for sure but we've seen that in recent games

Really hope that Richie Wellens spell as Caretaker goes well and maybe he can become part of the new coaching team but giving him an extended run as our Manager, I think not

32 minutes ago, tGWB said:

You cant seriously believe a man who was part of the coaching team has magically turned everything round for us in a few days

The recent additions of Eoin Doyle, Kean Bryan, Jack Byrne and less recently Dan Gardner have give us a better chance to compete for sure but we've seen that in recent games

Really hope that Richie Wellens spell as Caretaker goes well and maybe he can become part of the new coaching team but giving him an extended run as our Manager, I think not

How do explain the upturn in form then?

Of course, it might not last, but if he keeps winning why not?

He's already made some significant changes and the team were far more up for it.

How are you privy to anything that goes on behind the scenes?

Far too early to decide from a fans point of view.

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

This is not a time for sentiment and certainly not about considering appointing ex players with no/little management experience at all

If we don't get this next Manager appointment right we seriously risk the drop into League 2 which holds the 'trapdoor to oblivion'

Chesterfield and Port Vale are currently in the bottom 3 of League 2, very similar Clubs to ourselves

A Manager of experience is critical now

Someone like Sheridan perhaps, plenty of experience......
It's the quality, tactics and motivational skill that's most important..Might be Wellens, might not be.

46 minutes ago, tGWB said:

It's early days and one swallow doesn't make a summer but, if it drags on, we do well and he proves himself, I think we could do worse....

He'll have plenty of contacts & knowledge in and around our level having only recently stopped playing. He clearly knows his stuff listening to his post match interview. That's only part of it though - the unknown is how would he cope once the pressure was on...

Edited by HarryBosch

10 minutes ago, singe said:

How do explain the upturn in form then?

Of course, it might not last, but if he keeps winning why not?

He's already made some significant changes and the team were far more up for it.

I think they were just as up for it as they have been under Shez.

Apart from Placide I don't even think his changes (outfield) or tactics (which I welcomed) were necessarily the difference - that was practically the same game & performance as Charlton, Shrewsbury & Bristol Rovers.

Like Bristol Rovers we won this one. 

4 hours ago, tGWB said:

Why can't people just be open minded? One game for Christs sake!

A mate of mine (club sponsor) is good friends with Richie and says he's deadly serious about management & would love a crack at it. I don't for a second think the win was just down to Wellens (even he doesn't in his interview after) and it's correct that these additional players have helped us turn the corner. It would've come under Shez (IMO) and the little bits of luck went our way last night (they hit post, we go and score - opposite happened vs Shrews, pen for them turned down).

As I say, it is 1 game and I'm happy to see how it goes given that I wasn't happy Shez got the boot. A lot of folk would do well to listen Wellens interview after the game and tell me he doesn't know about how to set a team up. Very knowledgeable in his assessment of the team. His tactics were spot on...he talks through them in the interview.

Let's just ride the wave of a win and see where it takes us. I'm not expecting a lot from the south coast so let's see if we can pick up some more lovely unexpected points.

Edited by boundaryblue80

13 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

A mate of mine (club sponsor) is good friends with Richie and says he's deadly serious about management & would love a crack at it. 

Doesn't he have another mate who felt like that a while back? :grin: 

17 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

A mate of mine (club sponsor) is good friends with Richie and says he's deadly serious about management & would love a crack at it. I don't for a second think the win was just down to Wellens (even he doesn't in his interview after) and it's correct that these additional players have helped us turn the corner. It would've come under Shez (IMO) and the little bits of luck went our way last night (they hit post, we go and score - opposite happened vs Shrews, nailed on pen for them turned down).

As I say, it is 1 game and I'm happy to see how it goes given that I wasn't happen Shez got the boot. A lot of folk would do well to listen Wellens interview after the game and tell me he doesn't know about how to set a team up. Very knowledgeable in his assessment of the team. His tactics were spot on...he talks through them in the interview.

Let's just ride the wave of a win and see where it takes us. I'm not expecting a lot from the south coast so let's see if we can pick up some more lovely unexpected points.

I assume RW has done his coaching badges, do you know to what level?

boundaryblue80 / singe

RW has no management experience at all so an extended run as Caretaker Manager would be naïve

Having him part of the coaching team or Assistant Manager to enable him to learn off an experienced Manager maybe

Agree entirely that with him only recently giving up playing that he could well be really valuable to a new experienced Manager

Seriously, if we get this appointment wrong we're very likely to tumble into League 2 and we cant keep missing the drop by a few games every single season

:scarf001:

Edited by tGWB

58 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I suspect the new manager is already done and dusted.  I don't believe the nonsense about investors having no say.  The only way Wellens gets the job is if investment falls through.

Indeed. If they are about to invest a lot of money in order to "take over" and we are about to appoint a new manager and there is no consultation then that's very strange indeed. 

20 minutes ago, tGWB said:

boundaryblue80 / singe

RW has no management experience at all so an extended run as Caretaker Manager would be naïve

Having him part of the coaching team or Assistant Manager to enable him to learn off an experienced Manager maybe

Agree entirely that with him only recently giving up playing that he could well be really valuable to a new experienced Manager

Seriously, if we get this appointment wrong we're very likely to tumble into League 2 and we cant keep missing the drop by a few games every single season

:scarf001:

We get this so many times in so many walks of life. Do you not see that nobody can have a career without a first day in the job? Joe Royle had a first day in the job, for example. And, whatever your job is, you had a first day too, when someone took a bet on you because they thought that you'd be good. 

1 minute ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

We get this so many times in so many walks of life. Do you not see that nobody can have a career without a first day in the job? Joe Royle had a first day in the job, for example. And, whatever your job is, you had a first day too, when someone took a bet on you because they thought that you'd be good. 

Its all about opinions of course

But for me, the Manager of our Club is the single most important job of all and I wouldn't risk putting our future in the hands of anyone who has never 'managed' a football club previously or at least progressed with football experience and guidance

Footballer to Qualified Coach to Coaching Staff to Assistant Manger to New Manager, all day long

3 minutes ago, tGWB said:

But for me, the Manager of our Club is the single most important job of all and I wouldn't risk putting our future in the hands of anyone who has never 'managed' a football club previously or at least progressed with football experience and guidance

Footballer to Qualified Coach to Coaching Staff to Assistant Manger to New Manager, all day long

That's clear and logical. Your route would be less risky, but would obviously have less chance of finding the next new star and (in my view) more chance of landing us with some humdrum League 1 journeyman who can turn out more of the same crap and take us to 12th in the table, provided Simon backs him in the transfer window. 

13 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Some managers succeed first time round though. 

I think I've even seen statistics showing that's the better route to success. i.e very few succeed twice or succeed after having already failed.

For every Dunn or Dickov there's a Royle or a Lee Johnson.

What if Wellens was one of the latter and we miss out on him and he does well elsewhere having had him right here...? 

45 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I do agree with the route, and has pretty much proved the case with all our succesful managers (I inclue Shez in that because of 1 play off and 2 saves from relegation) but with possible takeover there may be a natural extended caretaker role. All I am saying it's lets see where that takes us before writing him off, you never know even with experienced managers. every single one is a gamble.
How amny can we name that have been succesful in every appointment?

Edited by singe

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Some managers succeed first time round though. 

I think I've even seen statistics showing that's the better route to success. i.e very few succeed twice or succeed after having already failed.

For every Dunn or Dickov there's a Royle or a Lee Johnson.

What if Wellens was one of the latter and we miss out on him and he does well elsewhere having had him right here...? 

League Tables take the emotion out of it and we're not 2nd from bottom of League One for nothing

Of course it would be brilliant if an ex player brought us success, but for me its highly risky and unlikely

We have an immediate problem that needs resolving, whilst setting realistic ambitions on our future and lets be brutally honest, our Club has been in a spiral of decline for a number of year both on and off the pitch, resulting in reducing numbers watching games at Boundary Park, generating less revenue.

We need to make Boundary Park a Fortress where opposition teams dread coming to and they go back with very little

Better Home form will lift us up the table and if sustained is the only way we will gradually build our attendances which improve revenues and with it our ability to attract more players of quality, as they do exist as recently proven (Bryan Byrne Doyle Gardner)

I really cannot see anything but 'previous management experience' achieving this for us 

And does anyone really think we have someone waiting to pump Oil Sheikh multi £millions into our Club      

Edited by tGWB