Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I feel similar. 

An experienced foreign manager I could get behind but some of the British journeymen on the bookies lists depress the fuck out of me. 

Correa, or someone similar for me, if not let's just see what Wellens can do for a month or two. 

I'm with you on that, we've had 20/21 years with the same old, same old. Let's go foreign and see where the ride takes us. 

Lifted from Billy Davies' wikipedia page... Last paragraph may link to the reason why people have told clubs to avoid him.

Davies' second spell proved to be a controversial and damaging one. He dismissed long-serving club staff without explanation, shouting at a photographer taking photos for the club's matchday programme after a match at Millwall, banning journalists issuing a "near media blackout" and employing his cousin, Jim Price, a suspended solicitor, as his closest advisor.[28][29]

After an eight-game winless run leaving Nottingham Forest one place and two points outside of the play-off positions and having seen his side lose 5-0 to local rivals Derby County on 22 March 2014, he was dismissed on 24 March. A statement on Forest's website read "Nottingham Forest Football Club have confirmed the termination of manager Billy Davies' employment.[30][31]

Louise Taylor of The Guardian pointed to Davies' "paranoia", "self-destructive insecurities" and "obsession with conspiracy theories and old grudges" as the reasons behind his downfall, suggesting that he had "shattered" his reputation.[32] The Daily Telegraph's John Percy, who was one of a number of reporters who were "accused of being in league with his former employers" for questioning decisions Davies made, said that Davies was "destined for failure" because he was "obsessed" with conspiracies and hidden agendas. He pointed to the "huge funds" Davies was given to get Forest promoted and suggested that he "could have got away with" the "unsavoury" behaviour, had Forest been winning.[33] John Payne of The Metro said that Davies owed the Forest fans an apology for his behaviour after failing to acknowledge them at the end of the defeat to Derby and "insulted fans' intelligence" by refusing to answer straight questions on the rare occasion he gave press interviews.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

I thought Davies was a wind up at first and imagined even we wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

When you think about it though he was a very, very good manager not so long ago.

Even at Forest where he was considered a huge failure he had a 41% win rate.

If he's sorted his head out we could get ourselves somebody we wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of attracting without the baggage. 

I'm warming to this.

Not sure I could cope with the fact he speaks like a fucking Dalek though.....

Club From Until Hons Games per Honour W D L Total Win%
Derby County 2006 2007 1 69 31 14 24 69 44.93
Preston North End 2004 2006 0 n/a 45 35 21 101 44.55
Nottingham Forest 2009 2011 0 n/a 53 36 37 126 42.06
Nottingham Forest 2013 2014 0 n/a 25 21 14 60 41.67
Motherwell 1998 2001 0 n/a 41 31 51 123 33.33
Edited by HarryBosch

Davies claims of a witch hunt, but he does sound a bit rabid even now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/09/billy-davies-nottingham-forest-derby-county-no-job-smear-campaign

Lies have kept me out of work for over three years, claims Billy Davies

Manager has been unemployed since Nottingham Forest sacking in 2014
‘A smear campaign has driven me away. But I’ll be back soon,’ he says

Billy Davies has blamed his three-and-a-half year spell out of work on “lies and smears”, alleging there has been a deliberate and orchestrated campaign to sabotage him, and claiming 17 different clubs in England and Scotland have been specifically warned to steer clear of him.

Davies, unemployed since being sacked by Nottingham Forest in March 2014, said he was fighting back against a “smear campaign” to clear his name after what he claims is a witch-hunt led by a PR company he refused to reveal.

“I love football, I miss football,” Davies said in an interview with The Times. “It is in my blood. But three years ago I spoke with a very respected legal individual, who, back at the beginning of all this, told me categorically: ‘Billy, you cannot go back into football until you clear this up.’ I have gone through various QCs, Scottish and English law firms, the League Managers Association, HMRC and more, chasing all the data I needed to show I was an innocent man. It has taken me a long, long time but I have now got that data.”

Asked to specify who exactly he meant, Davies said a PR campaign had maliciously targeted the clubs that might ordinarily want to employ him. “What they decided to do in their smearing is identify the bottom six EPL clubs, and some English Championship clubs that they know I would go to. They’ve sat down and identified these clubs. Plus, throw in the only club in Scotland – Glasgow Rangers – they identified them as well. Just look at the comments on these forums from certain people, during the process when Rangers were starting to pick a new manager. You can see it clearly.

Davies, who formerly managed Derby County and Preston North End, insisted he would come out on top and return to the game at a high level. “I know where I belong in the game, I know where I should be managing. No smear campaign, lies, maliciousness – whatever you want to call it – is going to drive me down to a lower level of football.

“A smear campaign has driven me away. For whatever reason, they have decided to take away from me something that I love. They have put my career on pause. But I’ll be back soon. I don’t think there is any doubt that one day I will be back at the top of football.”

1 hour ago, singe said:

No smear campaign, lies, maliciousness – whatever you want to call it – is going to drive me down to a lower level of football.

He sounds like a right nut job. I particularly note this line. What a terrible place the lower level of football would be to work, eh Billy? Don't worry...anybody in their right mind wouldn't enforce such a hardship on you!

I'm really warming to giving Wellens a chance comes across really well in his last 2 pressers, obviously very knowledgeable about the game, seems to have a good relationship with the players knows the club and someone we the fans have a connection to, however I doubt the new investors would like him to take it so hopefully he sticks around after they take over. 

5 minutes ago, Markspark92 said:

I'm really warming to giving Wellens a chance comes across really well in his last 2 pressers, obviously very knowledgeable about the game, seems to have a good relationship with the players knows the club and someone we the fans have a connection to, however I doubt the new investors would like him to take it so hopefully he sticks around after they take over. 

The more I listen to him, the more convinced I am he knows exactly what we need. Knows the squad inside out, and has no qualms saying what it is we are missing or needing. Also loved him slagging off the coaching courses!! Id not be disappointed if he got it

Some need to realise that candidates on the list must have failed in management somewhere or they wouldn't be on the list. Shez failed elsewhere also don't forget.

If Wellens wins Saturday then give hiM another few games but a defeat and his chances are likely done.

People slag Corney for appointing people who interview well but lack experience. Many falling in the same trap with Wellens because they like him.

Why do you have to like the manager. In a ideal world but Id be happy with a bastard who wins