Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worrying that Paul Way, Darren Ferguson & Paul Ince are the calibre we are linked with. I'd prefer Wellens to keep it if that is the case.

Although I  now concede Ferguson has won more than I realise, but he has a touch of the Brian Talbots about him.

Edited by singe

18 minutes ago, singe said:

Worrying that Paul Way, Darren Ferguson & Paul Ince are the calibre we are linked with. I'd prefer Wellens to keep it if that is the case.

Although I  now concede Ferguson has won more than I realise, but he has a touch of the Brian Talbots about him.

Being linked by who though ? And how many times have the early favourites actually been the ones to be apppinted ? IMO the new manger is already lined up by AL and will be announced when the deal is concluded

On the way in last night one of the stewards said she had seen Darren Ferguson at BP. Hopefully after that performance they might want to give Wellens a few games to show what he can do. It gives more time time for 'due diligence' and 'red fleece' to work their wonders..

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Being linked by who though ? And how many times have the early favourites actually been the ones to be apppinted ? IMO the new manger is already lined up by AL and will be announced when the deal is concluded

THat is what I believe, but I'm not certain why that is not being spelt out and there are little rumours. It just seems odd.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Doesn't he have another mate who felt like that a while back? :grin: 

Haha...yes. And he enjoyed mentioning Dunns record in comparison to Shez's this season. I reminded him that Shez's previous 2 escape artist jobs and the fact he actually does have a clue about management negated any comparable record with Dunn :lol:

And unlike Dunn, Wellens does sound like he actually knows what he's talking about :D

10 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Apparently the odds on Billy Davies have halved but he claims clubs have been avoiding him.

I'd be happy with him at Latics but why are clubs avoiding him?

Someone tell him tell him tell him right now

7 hours ago, tGWB said:

You cant seriously believe a man who was part of the coaching team has magically turned everything round for us in a few days

The recent additions of Eoin Doyle, Kean Bryan, Jack Byrne and less recently Dan Gardner have give us a better chance to compete for sure but we've seen that in recent games

Really hope that Richie Wellens spell as Caretaker goes well and maybe he can become part of the new coaching team but giving him an extended run as our Manager, I think not

Where did i say give him an extended run as our manager?????. i said that i was happy for him to entertain us for now,  The manager picks the team, and tactics...not the coaches. Last night was the perfect example.

4 hours ago, singe said:

Paul Ince being interviewed is nothing more than abiding to the new rules of 1 in 4 have to be of BAME

7 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

I suspect the new manager is already done and dusted.  I don't believe the nonsense about investors having no say.  The only way Wellens gets the job is if investment falls through.

Hopefully he does well enough to stay on the coaching staff, and TP too

Didn't go last night - but another game where we concede 2 goals would indicate that we got a bit of luck rather than a fundamental change in the team?

That said, I am not against Wellens.  Basically finding a good manager is hard - it's why so many get sacked every season.  Newbie, old hand, all the same really - it's a gamble.

Interestingly we seemed to be linked to more candidates that are actually in a job than normal - which would indicate paying compensation and therefore further evidence of investment?

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

Didn't go last night - but another game where we concede 2 goals would indicate that we got a bit of luck rather than a fundamental change in the team?

That said, I am not against Wellens.  Basically finding a good manager is hard - it's why so many get sacked every season.  Newbie, old hand, all the same really - it's a gamble.

Interestingly we seemed to be linked to more candidates that are actually in a job than normal - which would indicate paying compensation and therefore further evidence of investment?

Yes, it really is bloody lucky that we scored more goals that the other side, which was the most fundamental change I could see, possibly driven by the 5 team changes (including bringing Bryan into defence from midfield). 

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Name the last experienced manger that brought us even close to any sucsess.... last 3 decent mangers Royle (no experience) Johnson (no experience) shez first time around (no experience) he came back with experience and saved us, but now he's gone. Experienced managers are all sacked managers. You only get loads of sucsess with loads of money! How long would pep last here? He wouldn't storm the league. I'd prefer someone fresh just out the game new ideas! Maybe wellens could be perfect.

I feel similar. 

An experienced foreign manager I could get behind but some of the British journeymen on the bookies lists depress the fuck out of me. 

Correa, or someone similar for me, if not let's just see what Wellens can do for a month or two.