Crewe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrne was my MOTM, apart from the superb goal he scored, he was involved in most of our play, supported well in midfield by Gardner. Omrani lost possession a bit too much, but some nice touches. 

Back three of Gerrard, Wilson and Bryan solid, Queensy lively up top with Doyle.

Dickfingers quality again.

Knocked the ball around really well first half. They barely got a kick. We faded in the second half, gave the ball away too much and looked tired, but still created a few decent chances.

Placide was excellent when called upon. A couple of great saves and caught every cross/corner that he came for. Great distribution again too. There were a couple of hints of good things to come from Queensy. Very quick and looks to have a few tricks in his locker but  quiet for long periods. Byrne and Gardner excellent going forward.

Two clean sheets this season. Both in the Checkatrade. Last night we had Wilson and Gerrard back (as captain) and a chance to give both Menig and Omrani a start.

Whatever the arguments against this competition, it does give us a chance to give players game time. 

For most of the squad the weekend postponement now gives them 10 days to rest and for some to heal wounds...

And it's Blackburn and Bradford next up. 

Let's hope that we do not lose momentum and that we have a positive outcome to the managerial position by then.

COYB!

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two clean sheets this season. Both in the Checkatrade. Last night we had Wilson and Gerrard back (as captain) and a chance to give both Menig and Omrani a start.

Whatever the arguments against this competition, it does give us a chance to give players game time. 

For most of the squad the weekend postponement now gives them 10 days to rest and for some to heal wounds...

And it's Blackburn and Bradford next up. 

Let's hope that we do not lose momentum and that we have a positive outcome to the managerial position by then.

COYB!

Agreed, this cup is no bad thing for us given the size of our squad coupled with the fact that we are not in a resrve league.

Wellens said in his interview last night that he's giving the whole squad who aren't on international duty a long weekend off. I think that's quite a smart move as it lets the overseas players get home for a few days. Hopefully they'll all come back refreshed and raring to go.

20 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

So huge that the majority of the fanbase don't even give a shit?

Huge asin man city huge?

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Like the competition or not, a game against an under 23 side will never be huge.

It is to me. I love the checkatrade. As discussed, similar to the Champions League for us lower league teams. Group stages. Realistic chance of getting to Wembley. Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, Fyldelatic said:

Too much standing off and back pedalling in the second half for my liking - Placide and Hunt kept us in the game.  Having said that, the keeper's save from Menig was top drawer and we do look good going forward.

It would be good to progress further in this competition #ilikeitwhenwewinanygame

3 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

It is to me. I love the checkatrade. As discussed, similar to the Champions League for us lower league teams. Group stages. Realistic chance of getting to Wembley. Onwards and upwards.

I can understand where you are coming from.  I saw the value in the Football League Trophy and us losing to Shez's Chesterfield to miss out on Wembley (fuck you Tommy Lee) was probably the most gutted I've been as an Oldham fan as far as I can remember.

But the introduction to the Under 23 element is worse than killing the whole thing off.  It is detrimental in the long run to Leagues One and Two and won't make any significant difference to young academy players nor the England team.

20 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

So, not huge.

To our club  it is by comparison with the other cup finals and a trip to Wembley is never to be sniffed at.I too recall being gutted by Lee's wonder saves for Chesterfield ànd being ripped apart by Wrexham's striker in the first half.I've forgot his name or what happened to him but he was superb  that night for them when wins would have seen us at Wembley.

9 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

To our club  it is by comparison with the other cup finals and a trip to Wembley is never to be sniffed at.I too recall being gutted by Lee's wonder saves for Chesterfield ànd being ripped apart by Wrexham's striker in the first half.I've forgot his name or what happened to him but he was superb  that night for them when wins would have seen us at Wembley.

Juan Ugarte I believe