Scunthorpe (H)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t make the game but listened on iFollow and now watched the extended highlights.

Positives:

Despite being a defeat, we still created chances and can perhaps feel unlucky to have not got at least a point from the game.

We recovered from 2-0 down to get back level.

I think that confidence and positivity can be maintained in the squad because of that.

As RW has said - we will lose games.

We should make a montage of Doyle’s misses and get is circulated on social media, particularly to anyone with a PNE link - might help in January.

Holloway helped contribute to another goal - good to have a backup forward with some confidence

Concerns:

We have no back-up keeper that maintains an element of confidence with the defence.

We have only 1 clean sheet in 15 league games.

5 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Didn’t make the game but listened on iFollow and now watched the extended highlights.

Positives:

Despite being a defeat, we still created chances and can perhaps feel unlucky to have not got at least a point from the game.

I think that confidence and positivity can be maintained in the squad because of that.

We should make a montage of Doyle’s misses and get is circulated on social media, particularly to anyone with a PNE link - might help in January.

Holloway helped contribute to another goal - good to have a backup forward with some confidence

Concerns:

We have no back-up keeper that maintains an element of confidence with the defence.

We have only 1 clean sheet in 15 league games.

What we saw against Scunthorpe for the first 40 minutes was a return to the collective uncertainty and lack of urgency that bedevilled Sheridan during his tenure.

Richie Wellens has introduced a higher tempo to our play which has seen us start on the front foot and work hard to close down the opposition. We now attack with speed and a clinical approach which has brought it's rewards with our climb from the foot of the table. Saturday was a stark reminder that if we drop our standards we will get punished.

We didn't get going until the end of the first half and in the end it was a game that we could, no should have won. Doyle had a strangely off day, snatching at a number of shots and ultimately drawing a blank. Sadly there does seem to be a lack of confidence in the abilities of the replacement keeper Ruddy and the bad luck with Dummigan's attempted clearance saw us lose our first game under the new boss.

A welcome break this week and maybe one or two fresh faces for the cup game. We will be all the better for it.

Edited by TheBigDog

35 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Positives:

Sounds like a report from the Charlton game in September...

First home game this season, I pick my moments!

Thought we got it wrong from the start on 2 counts:

1. Not playing any width - they came at us and put a lot of bodies forward to pressure us when we had it at the back.  With no wide outlet we offered no threat for them to be worried about, so they were free to do so.

2. Playing the Placide way without Placide - Ruddy isn't Placide and isn't capable of playing that way, especially when they were pressuring us in numbers and the weather was right in his face making long clearances almost impossible too.

Once Queensy came on we offered a threat and they weren't able to carry on committing so many forward when we had it at the back.  From there we should have won really, even with Doyle having an off day.

Ruddy didn't have a great game, but the way some of our fans were at him from early on was shameful.  Booing when a clearance went wrong, sarchastic cheering when he made a save.  Disgusting.

17 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

It’s not going too far it’s complete and utter bollocks.

I agree, calling a player a coward when it was unintentional is disgusting.  

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Ruddy didn't have a great game, but the way some of our fans were at him from early on was shameful.  Booing when a clearance went wrong, sarchastic cheering when he made a save.  Disgusting.

I enjoyed the cheer he got on the 24th minute, he received that on the back of a pretty straightforward save, it was about the first thing he done right at that stage and received the sarcastic applause because he'd been near on useless till then, wouldn't ever play him again if I had my way the lads simply not up to it and will be responsible for more defeats and an early cup exit if called upon, we somehow have to find a way of bringing in a competent keeper before the weekend.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I agree, calling a player a coward when it was unintentional is disgusting.  

No worse than some of the stuff ive heard about Ruddy this weekend who doesn't conceded goals on purpose.

It is bollocks though as Dummigan won the ball however it was a bit shit and sorry BP1960 but the 'it could have gone anywhere' reply lets him off very lightly! it should have gone into the stand or down the field. He put us under pressure which inevitably cost us the game. Having said that he is playing very well considering RW 's tactics and Byrne leaves him exposed for most of the game.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

I enjoyed the cheer he got on the 24th minute, he received that on the back of a pretty straightforward save, it was about the first thing he done right at that stage and received the sarcastic applause because he'd been near on useless till then, wouldn't ever play him again if I had my way the lads simply not up to it and will be responsible for more defeats and an early cup exit if called upon, we somehow have to find a way of bringing in a competent keeper before the weekend.

He hadnt been at fault for anything at that point bar one dropped but recovered cross had he? God forbid we don't legislate for the very difficult conditions and the midfield and defence going missing for 20 mins.

Sarcastic cheers to help build the confidence of your last line of defence? only at Boundary Park!

Just now, palmer1 said:

He hadnt been at fault for anything at that point bar one dropped but recovered cross had he? God forbid we don't legislate for the very difficult conditions and the midfield and defence going missing for 20 mins.

Sarcastic cheers to help build the confidence of your last line of defence? only at Boundary Park!

Did he recover the dropped ball? Funny that - I was sat no more than 30 yards away directly behind him and after failing to even jump for the cross he dropped it onto the centre halfs boot who managed to balloon it over the bar from all of three yards out, he's shit, he's had enough chances and I'm sick to death of seeing Conference (at best) keepers undermine our whole football teams efforts, keepers like him drain teams confidence and I can't think of one game where it's been any different with him between the sticks.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Did he recover the dropped ball? Funny that - I was sat no more than 30 yards away directly behind him and after failing to even jump for the cross he dropped it onto the centre halfs boot who managed to balloon it over the bar from all of three yards out, he's shit, he's had enough chances and I'm sick to death of seeing Conference (at best) keepers undermine our whole football teams efforts, keepers like him drain teams confidence and I can't think of one game where it's been any different with him between the sticks.

So he undermines the team confidence and the crowd undermines his? brilliant!

he could have done better with the 3rd after someone else made a mistake but thanks to the rest of the teams efforts we were 2 down after 10. That wasn't down to the keeper and confidence it was down to little to no awareness to defend properly. He even made a good save only to be let down on the first.

he isn't good enough however but why make the whole situation more difficult for the team you support by undermining him. its fkn stupid but certainly not suprising!

he's shit so lets destroy his confidence even more for our own good? not sure how that works...

Edited by palmer1

8 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

So he undermines the team confidence and the crowd undermines his? brilliant!

he could have done better with the 3rd after someone else made a mistake but thanks to the rest of the teams efforts we were 2 down after 10. That wasn't down to the keeper and confidence it was down to little to no awareness to defend properly. He even made a good save only to be let down on the first.

he isn't good enough however but why make the whole situation more difficult for the team you support by undermining him. its fkn stupid but certainly not suprising!

he's shit so lets destroy his confidence even more for our own good? not sure how that works...

Can you just point me towards the part where I stated I'd undermined him then, I did smile when I heard the crowds reaction but didn't really see the point of destroying him further, if that's possible because he looks out of his depth.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can you just point me towards the part where I stated I'd undermined him then, I did smile when I heard the crowds reaction but didn't really see the point of destroying him further, if that's possible because he looks out of his depth.

I didn't accuse you of anything. You said you smiled at the sarcastic cheers. I then posted about how those cheers and how they don't help the team...

You complained that he undermines the confidence of the whole team however you smiled at the crowd doing the same thing. 

Just now, palmer1 said:

I didn't accuse you of anything. You said you smiled at the sarcastic cheers. I then posted about how those cheers and how they don't help the team...

You complained that he undermines the confidence of the whole team however you smiled at the crowd doing the same thing. 

I smiled at some of his fuck ups too to be fair.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

No worse than some of the stuff ive heard about Ruddy this weekend who doesn't conceded goals on purpose.

It is bollocks though as Dummigan won the ball however it was a bit shit and sorry BP1960 but the 'it could have gone anywhere' reply lets him off very lightly! it should have gone into the stand or down the field. He put us under pressure which inevitably cost us the game. Having said that he is playing very well considering RW 's tactics and Byrne leaves him exposed for most of the game.

It was 'coward' I objected to, not a nice choice of word, but then again I'm old fashioned  these days where anything goes in online comments. 

I'm really not getting this abuse of our own players........how is giving him sh*t during a match likely to improve his confidence? The poor b*stard is already down without our so-called fans giving sarcastic abuse when he gets something simple right.

I'm going back a few years when we had Gary Walsh on loan and he had a bad start during one game but when he made a comfortable save and then subsequent saves when under pressure, Steve Redmond used to make a point of applauding him and backslapping him.

By all means have a moan after the match in the pub or on here but not out loud during the game.

2 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

Dummigan's attempted clearance was very similar to Clarkes several weeks earlier which also resulted in a goal, nobody called him a coward.

To be fair to Dummigan he put his foot through the ball and made an attempt to play it - he didnt in my opinion shit out, he took a chance and it backfired and we ended up being punished for it.

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair to Dummigan he put his foot through the ball and made an attempt to play it - he didnt in my opinion shit out, he took a chance and it backfired and we ended up being punished for it.

He didn't shit out but he certainly didn't go in as hard as he needed too.