Scunthorpe (H)

2 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I'm really not getting this abuse of our own players........how is giving him sh*t during a match likely to improve his confidence? The poor b*stard is already down without our so-called fans giving sarcastic abuse when he gets something simple right.

I'm going back a few years when we had Gary Walsh on loan and he had a bad start during one game but when he made a comfortable save and then subsequent saves when under pressure, Steve Redmond used to make a point of applauding him and backslapping him.

By all means have a moan after the match in the pub or on here but not out loud during the game.

This. Always seem to be GKs of late too. Remember Oxley getting pelters for most of a season, he then got us 3 points by producing a string of quality saves in a game we won 1-0. His 92% of the vote for MOTM is still a record on here I think.

The abuse players get during the game makes me think if some of our fans shouldn't be forced to memorise the dictionary definition of a supporter before they enter ISZ.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair to Dummigan he put his foot through the ball and made an attempt to play it - he didnt in my opinion shit out, he took a chance and it backfired and we ended up being punished for it.

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

He didn't shit out but he certainly didn't go in as hard as he needed too.

To me it was a mistake but one driven by tiredness rather than cowardly 

23 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

This. Always seem to be GKs of late too. Remember Oxley getting pelters for most of a season, he then got us 3 points by producing a string of quality saves in a game we won 1-0. His 92% of the vote for MOTM is still a record on here I think.

The abuse players get during the game makes me think if some of our fans shouldn't be forced to memorise the dictionary definition of a supporter before they enter ISZ.

Surely Jordan Bove got at least 100% against Notts County?

19 hours ago, palmer1 said:

No worse than some of the stuff ive heard about Ruddy this weekend who doesn't conceded goals on purpose.

It is bollocks though as Dummigan won the ball however it was a bit shit and sorry BP1960 but the 'it could have gone anywhere' reply lets him off very lightly! it should have gone into the stand or down the field. He put us under pressure which inevitably cost us the game. Having said that he is playing very well considering RW 's tactics and Byrne leaves him exposed for most of the game.

If he'd had put it in the stand and a goal resulted from the throw in he would have got stick from some for panicking. 

It was a split second decision, some go right some go wrong.

It's still my opinion a lucky bounce aided Scunthorpe.  

What would have been said if Dummigan's clearance had ricoched to one of our players who scored the winner?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

If he'd had put it in the stand and a goal resulted from the throw in he would have got stick from some for panicking. 

What would have been said if Dummigan's clearance had ricoched to one of our players who scored the winner?

So Dummigan gets away with it because 'what if?' but Ruddy is getting it both barrels from the majority on social media?

Dummigan should have made sure...

The problem with the Dummigan clearance was that he slashed at the ball, rather than put a solid foot through it like the Scunny player.

The ball was only ever going to come back at us, but falling sweetly into the path of their winger was unfortunate.

Dummigan did attempt to play the ball but Wallace has his left leg planted and firmly behind the ball, Wallace was stronger in the challenge it's as simple as that, if you watch the highlights on here again as Scunthorpe celebrate the goal Wallace can be seen clutching his left shin and hobbling which would suggest Dummigan used reasonable force in the tackle but just lost out to the stronger man, maybe he could of stood the player up but Scunthorpe had a two on one down the left and Dummigan may of felt the ball had to be won, he's done well in the last few games intercepting and anticipating but on this occasion got done, for me he's still been a standout player in recent weeks and I'd class his part in Scunnys third goal as unfortunate.

3 hours ago, palmer1 said:

So Dummigan gets away with it because 'what if?' but Ruddy is getting it both barrels from the majority on social media?

Dummigan should have made sure...

He tried to and they got a lucky ricochete. Keeper could have arguably done better but given his confidence was shot to sh*t im not going to blame him.

Given how well we have played recently I don't understand the need to go on a witch hunt and start singling players out. Its a simple game to sum up. We started poor, made a change and improved and were unlucky to lose. On to the fa cup and hopefully into the next round

26 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

He tried to and they got a lucky ricochete. Keeper could have arguably done better but given his confidence was shot to sh*t im not going to blame him.

Given how well we have played recently I don't understand the need to go on a witch hunt and start singling players out. Its a simple game to sum up. We started poor, made a change and improved and were unlucky to lose. On to the fa cup and hopefully into the next round

Im not on a witch hunt! im pointing out that others made mistakes not just the keeper who was being singled out by others for blame. I have posted several times on the subject...

On 28/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, losesome said:

Was that the first time Clarke has not completed a full game for latics? hope its not serious!!! but yes he does struggle with a poor keeper behind him. 

He had the demeanour of someone thinking "what's the point?" when he had Ruddy behind him previously.

I had a similar demeanour in the stands. 

13 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He had the demeanour of someone thinking "what's the point?" when he had Ruddy behind him previously.

I had a similar demeanour in the stands. 

Hang on. Ruddy was in the pegs for 2 or 3 games earlier in the season wasn't he? Clarke was an absolute joke for a lot more than 2 or 3 games earlier in the season.

He's playing well again now, but he was very fortunate that it was Gerrard who was dropped by Wellens and not him...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hang on. Ruddy was in the pegs for 2 or 3 games earlier in the season wasn't he? Clarke was an absolute joke for a lot more than 2 or 3 games earlier in the season.

He's playing well again now, but he was very fortunate that it was Gerrard who was dropped by Wellens and not him...

Yes.

I'm not defending Clarke. Surprising from him but he seemed to have the hump when both Wilson or Ruddy were in then noticeably perked up once Placide was behind him. 

Sounds like he perked down with Ruddy back in. Again surprising & disappointing from him but kind of understandable if the rumours are true that we have to pay Wolves when we don't play him. 

Does it cost us to terminate the loan aswell? Surely we would have sent him back if not. 

Smacks of another terrible aspect of modern football. 

Edited by HarryBosch

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If we are paying one penny towards Ruddys wages under any form of agreement we've had our pants pulled down.

On the other hand, he was highly rated before he came here and you'd think Wolves themselves, having invested time & money in him, would want to get him back before any more damage is done....

And why is there this supposition that a club like us can't be seen to fuck a bigger club about with a loanee yet it's no slight on the bigger club to send us a dud? 

Edited by HarryBosch

On 31 October 2017 at 8:33 AM, BP1960 said:

This for me. Nothing against Dummigan at all. I would rather him go and get Stuck in in a 50/50, Right decision at the time for me. It's all if's and buts however like you say, what if they score from an unnecessary throw in due to panicking? or if he just backed off and let their player collect the ball and deliver a ball in for a potential goal? 

We where just unlucky that 1 of our players got stuck in in a 50/50 and it went straight to a Scunthorpe player. 

On 30/10/2017 at 7:52 PM, yarddog73 said:

To be fair to Dummigan he put his foot through the ball and made an attempt to play it - he didnt in my opinion shit out, he took a chance and it backfired and we ended up being punished for it.

That's a fair summary. Much rather him just kick it into row Z though. Hate it when players play it off opponents for throws/corners in order to keep possession. Crying out for an unfortunate incident to happen when it can be easily avoided. 

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

That would be very harsh. He needs a winger in front of him. He's been exposed a lot by our tactics recently...

Not saying he has played poorly just think Mcloughlin has more going forward than dummigan and don’t think defensively they are much different in quality. 

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Not saying he has played poorly just think Mcloughlin has more going forward than dummigan and don’t think defensively they are much different in quality. 

Wellens  must be tempted when the time comes to accommodate McLaughlin in a 4-5-1, I know that would mean sacrificing Doyle or Davies but it would give us one hell of a midfield, wouldn't be popular with the majority but would strengthen our quite obvious deficiencies. 

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wellens  must be tempted when the time comes to accommodate McLaughlin in a 4-5-1, I know that would mean sacrificing Doyle or Davies but it would give us one hell of a midfield, wouldn't be popular with the majority but would strengthen our quite obvious deficiencies. 

Just cannot see him breaking up what is proving to be a cracking partnership. An on form McGlaughlin would surely start ahead of Nepocumeno or Menig?

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Not getting this......why sacrifice one from a very effective forward line to accommodate McLaughlin in a midfield five. This is Robinson thinking here......stop the opposition scoring and hope we nick a goal somewhere!!!

Let Wellens manage his way.....it may be roller coaster bur it's great football.