Scunthorpe (H)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Understandably flat today. 

Could have stolen a point at the end and it would have been a steal. 

We lost our whole shape today without our sweeper.

The gap between Placide and Ruddy is enormous although Dummy should have been picking up the loose man at the back for their first.

Having said that, Ruddy s save from the first shot should have been pushed around the post at the very least.

Wouldnt have been a steal. We deserved a point. Particularly as we were paying with 10 and Ronald McDonald in goal. 

We had 17 shots to their 14.  Doyle should have  had 3 of those in... but he didn’t even get them on target! 

Edited by kowenicki

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Wellens got it wrong at the start. 

Doyle missed 3 sitters. 

Placide is a big miss

Simple as that.  Onwards and upwards. 

Yes Doyle had an off day and another day could of had two or three, we worked so hard to get back into that it's gutting to get nothing from it but there's still plenty to play for, Gardner was the big miss in the middle and today we saw the importance of having him in there Omrani looked lost in there and for me the man of the match was Dummigan. 

Edited by yarddog73

4 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Agreed. I actually thought that Omrani was worse than Ruddy and I rate Omrani.

Dont know what it is with Omrani.  Had a great 30 odd mins on Tue and done very well where as today he couldnt pass to anyone, must of tried the same through ball about 5 times and it was cut out or went wayward.  Looked lost today.  I wanted him to start as well because of Tue.  

Edited by deckyd

Funnily enough we turned it around and made a real go of salvaging the game.

But when you gift the opposition a 2 goal lead after 10 mins you don't deserve to win. 

I don't think we were sussed out because we gave Scunny all sorts of problems when we got going. But we have to learn that we're not always going to be able to start out-passing teams from the get go.

We needed to adapt to the conditions and play a safety first game when the ball was in our half, rather than try and be cute and play the ball around from the back with the wind and rain blowing in our faces. Had we done that, we could have weathered the storm until conditions improved then started to play. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Wouldnt have been a steal. We deserved a point. Particularly as we were paying with 10 and Ronald McDonal in goal. 

We had 17 shots to their 14.  Doyle should have  had 3 of those in... but he didn’t even get them on target! 

I just think that all looked a little preoccupied today. Two or three stray passes from Byrne as well. It seemed as if the ball was either just not sticking or got stuck under foot. Lots of underhit passes.

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Wellens got it wrong at the start. 

Doyle missed 3 sitters. 

Placide is a big miss

Simple as that.  Onwards and upwards. 

Wouldnt just blame the start just on wellens Id say the players themselves have to take some of the blame for the poor start we gave ourselves a mountain to climb.

But I agree with your sentiment. We missed placide, Doyle scores atleast 1 of them on another day. Our second half performance was good onwards and upwards

They adapted to the weather better than us. Doesn’t help when the goalkeeper is so bad, but defensively we are at sixes and sevens 1st half, Clarke was awful in that opening 30 minutes. Midfield not at the races, 4 CM’s didn’t work, absolutely no width. Just didn’t stick with Davies or Doyle today either, just seemed one of those days were nothing would quite stick. Did well getting it back to 2-2 so positives to take, and we still created plenty but didn’t work their keeper enough. Really need to tighten up at the back ASAP, we have absolutely no chance of climbing that league with the amount we concede. 1 game too many today i felt, quickly move on and push on again.

52 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

We are so shite at the back and concede more than 2 goals every game.

Simply kidding ourselves if we think we can do anything in this division with that record, so bloody frustrating after the way we defended last season.

Kind of agree, don't see us making any serious moves at the top of the league as there are too many uncertainties from January onwards.

But as long as we're not in serious danger of relegation, which seems unlikely at present, I'd much rather have us trying to outscore teams with a shit defensive record than be airtight at the back with no goal threat.

Currently 3rd top scorers in the league but bottom of the goals conceded table by a fair way.  That's a lot more exciting than recent seasons.

First 40 minutes we were really poor. Next 50 we were alright, and a bit unlucky at the end not to draw.

Doyle had a poor game - should/could have scored two or three. Byrne was good second-half, Dummigan played well. Clarke completely at fault for their second, but made it up for it by scoring our first.

Didn't think Ruddy could do a lot with their goals, and was (one drop aside) fairly solid otherwise. Was the third offside?

Had to come to an end at some point - at least it was entertaining!

Edited by OneSizeFitz

On a side note- subbing Clarke today was a surprise.  I felt he wasnt having a good game and was at fault for the 2nd goal.  He also could of cost us at least on 2 other occassions but Wellens made the call and took him of.  Think it was the right call.  Clarke is a pro and i dont think hes the type to throw the toys out of the pram so to speak.  

Dont think Shez would of taken Clarke of in any game.  Not a dig in the slightest just an observation.  I really like the way Wellens operates.  

28 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Dont know what it is with Omrani.  Had a great 30 odd mins on Tue and done very well where as today he couldnt pass to anyone, must of tried the same through ball about 5 times and it was cut out or went wayward.  Looked lost today.  I wanted him to start as well because of Tue.  

Didnt mind seeing him start, I agree. I was happier to see him go off though, he just didn't get going.

5 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

First 40 minutes we were really poor. Next 50 we were alright, and a bit unlucky at the end not to draw.

Doyle had a poor game - should/could have scored two or three. Byrne was good second-half, Dummigan played well. Clarke completely at fault for their second, but made it up for it by scoring our first.

Didn't think Ruddy could do a lot with their goals, and was (one drop aside) fairly solid otherwise. Was the third offside?

Had to come to an end at some point - at least it was entertaining!

No 3rd was ok. When Dumi tackled their guy it could have bounced anywhere but it went straight to their guy stood just onside and in ocean's of space.

Hope Wellens learns from today,  Don't know why he changed our midfield shape with Omrani but if didn't work.

The team for the first 30 minutes just weren't at the races and this really pisses me off because Scunthorpe weren't very good, they had no outlet at all and they were happy to hoof it away all game. A side that didn't impress me with their constant surrounding of the referee which I thought was very poor. They must have the slowest defence in the league, Burgess and Mcardle turn like tanks and their left back looked like he was playing a charity match.

Doyle has to do better with the chances he had, at least get them on target fella! We had many shots today and i'm struggling to remember when we forced the keeper into a save. 
Menig needs to do better when he has opportunities, his shooting is all wrong. 

A very disappointing result and obviously Placide is a big miss, Ruddy isn't fit to lace his boots and I would personally have his loan terminated- it should have been terminated after Rotherham. Our style of play went out the window about 20 mins in because he was incapable of making a pass.  

I think a result like this highlights what we will do this season. The defence is just too leaky to mount any sort of play off push. If the defence was up to scratch today we could have won with a clean sheet. Unforced errors for two of the goals and Ruddy giving them the first one with a bow on it. 

With how our defence is, anything above 15th would be an achievement. We should have won at MK, v lucky to win against Bury and in reality should have won today. Richie needs Shirtliff in asap.

Gifted that to them with formation questionable, although after the last 20 against bury can see why he did that. Happy to see such an early sub as omrani was terrible. We were a better team than them, I think with placide we would beat them and they are a top 6 side. Nothing in this division at all so although frustrating it’s not the end of the world.

Placide has shown what can be expected of a pro keeper. Ruddy I’m afraid was pants all game. His kicking especially was embarrassing a after what we have seen from placide