Scunthorpe (H)

Nightmare start with  two soft goals...reminded me of the Oxford game but great comeback and at least we don't roll over anymore and  created  some good chances which on another day would have gone in.

Unlucky with lots of loose balls going in their favour including the one which set up their winning goal.

Still, not too down in the dumps and felt we played ok after that piss poor start.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

They were pretty decent to be fair particularly their No 16 who had Hunt on toast for the first half.

Agree. Thought they were pretty solid and you can see why they’d conceded only 11 in 15 before today but once we got into the game we were more than a match for them. With the team as it is now it looks like we’ll play well and entertain but possibly won’t kick on to the top end of the table because we’re still liable to draw and lose too many games because of the number of goals we give away.

Also wonder what Dummigan and Hunt thought for the first half hour today. They’ll have a lot of tough afternoons this season if opponents realise it’s so easy to double up and overlap because of the lack of support they get from midfield.

Having said all that, I’d rather watch this football than anything we’ve had in the last decade. 

One of those days. Wrong formation, too narrow to begin with, with Gardner and Byrne wide, and Byrne going walkabout. 

Clarke had a stinker. Struggles when he doesn't trust the keeper behind him. 

Doyle should have bagged today. 

Thought Holloway had a good impact - he's looked much more aggressive in the last two games, attacking the ball rather than pushing and pulling defenders. 

Ref - dearie me. Why wasn't Ruddy's a penalty? He flew through him, and didn't touch the ball? Strange decisions throughout the game. Also a massive bugbear, happens every week, but the female assistant today was terrible for it - being 5 yards behind play constantly, meaning they have to literally guess at offsides. 

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Poor attendance...less that 4,000 Latics fans....weather rmaybe?

25% up on a month ago, even the wife spotted that there was a lot more home fans when she picked me up after the game. Not over concerned taking the weather into account

14 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

One of those days. Wrong formation, too narrow to begin with, with Gardner and Byrne wide, and Byrne going walkabout. 

Clarke had a stinker. Struggles when he doesn't trust the keeper behind him. 

Doyle should have bagged today. 

Thought Holloway had a good impact - he's looked much more aggressive in the last two games, attacking the ball rather than pushing and pulling defenders. 

Ref - dearie me. Why wasn't Ruddy's a penalty? He flew through him, and didn't touch the ball? Strange decisions throughout the game. Also a massive bugbear, happens every week, but the female assistant today was terrible for it - being 5 yards behind play constantly, meaning they have to literally guess at offsides. 

Was that the first time Clarke has not completed a full game for latics? hope its not serious!!! but yes he does struggle with a poor keeper behind him.

Also think the ref was spot on with penalty,  the guy could have scored easily but decided a penalty was better, he pushed it too hard past Ruddy and it went out before he was brought down. 

39 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Ruddy 8 conceded in two games says it all. Defenders need to be confident in the keeper, it’s no wonder that Clarke had a off day. I would have gone with Wilson least he’s older

Is Wilson even still at the club?

57 minutes ago, losesome said:

No 3rd was ok. When Dumi tackled their guy it could have bounced anywhere but it went straight to their guy stood just onside and in ocean's of space.

Hope Wellens learns from today,  Don't know why he changed our midfield shape with Omrani but if didn't work.

Actually I meant later in the move. The ball comes in from Morris, their forward gets a touch on it and then it goes through to Holmes who puts it in... and who I thought at the time was offside - highlights aren't exactly conclusive though unfortunately!

2 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Understandably flat today. 

Could have stolen a point at the end and it would have been a steal. 

We lost our whole shape today without our sweeper.

The gap between Placide and Ruddy is enormous although Dummy should have been picking up the loose man at the back for their first.

Having said that, Ruddy s save from the first shot should have been pushed around the post at the very least.

Not sure I agree with the steal comment. Other than the the frst 20, scunny where a semi decent side, nothing more. Couple of good midfielders.

we hammered them second half. On another day Doyle scores 3 or 4.

29 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Actually I meant later in the move. The ball comes in from Morris, their forward gets a touch on it and then it goes through to Holmes who puts it in... and who I thought at the time was offside - highlights aren't exactly conclusive though unfortunately!

Yes they are....they showed that Scunthope scored a third goal

I think everything fell right for us the games after Wellens came in (And made the changes we all know needed making). We didn't have 11 shit players before and we don't have the best 11 in the league now.

Exemplary fighting on the Clayton after though. Rolling around in the mud and pissing rain in soaked trackies, scarfed up to the eyebrows. Shame Jamie Oliver couldn't make it to the school kitchens in Scunny to give them half a chance in life.

8 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I think everything fell right for us the games after Wellens came in (And made the changes we all know needed making). We didn't have 11 shit players before and we don't have the best 11 in the league now.

Exemplary fighting on the Clayton after though. Rolling around in the mud and pissing rain in soaked trackies, scarfed up to the eyebrows. Shame Jamie Oliver couldn't make it to the school kitchens in Scunny to give them half a chance in life.

Yeh saw this...comedy scenes by a bunch

of ??’s from both sets of supporters

Edited by super_blue

Ruddy was exposed by his defence for the first 2, he makes a decent initial save for the first but their striker beats our defenders to the ball for a tap-in. He wasn't exactly the quickest either.

The third he should do better with in terms of dealing with the cross, but I think the conditions may have affected it too. Having 3 at the back is all well and good when trying to get an equaliser but doesn't work protecting that equaliser, which we would have had to do for 15 minutes. A somewhat lucky ricochet helped set it up too, but you'll get them.

Ruddy's kicking was meh- no where near as bad as some are making out, due to the conditions, Gilks had the same problems in the second half, but let's gloss over Gilks' issues because our fans know better and Ruddy needs sacking. FWIW we can't bring in an emergency loan unless Ruddy and Ben Wilson are both unavailable. After today I have no doubt that Shez dropped a bollock not playing Johnny Placide, although I doubt Johnny would have been able to do much about the first 2 goals. He might have scored in the second half though.

Omrani was poor, but he could have taken any of the midfield off for Queensy, as they weren't in it. Fane getting booked almost straight afterwards made it seem a poor substitution, initially, but I thought Fane did well today, it wasn't a booking and despite being on a booking for 70 minutes, which often means he gets sent off, he still did his job well.

Unfortunately, there is only one person to blame for today's loss, and that's the manager, he got his team wrong, we were 2 down because the midfield didn't know who was supposed to be covering wide and Scunny knew it. Dummigan and Hunt were left exposed and with neither Clarke nor Bryan playing well and our 2nd choice GK in net, we were always likely to be more at risk of conceding. Fortunately for us because they were 2-0 up after about 10 minutes we had time to come back into the game.

We are going to have games like that, it's how we bounce back after it that will be key. 

14 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Bollocks Johny would have caught the first and made himself bigger for second after Clarke cocked up. Without Johny we are back to giving teams a two goal start. 

Not sure on that, johnny is a far superior goalkeeper, but there’s no way he catches the 1st, perhaps parry it away from danger but you can’t catch that. 2nd I expect Johnny does no better, for me this is Johnny’s worse part of his game, making himself big and saving a 1 v 1. He could of done better with 1 or 2 at MK by making himself bigger. I don’t rate Ruddy at all but I don’t think we can blame him for the 1st 2 today.

Ruddy could of let three or four others in if he hadn't been so lucky,  prior to the goal he had flapped at an easy ball dropped it and put it on a plate for their lad to hit it over the bar from three yards out, he visibly drains the defenders confidence because they can't trust him and he's simply not up to it.

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Wellens got it wrong at the start. 

Doyle missed 3 sitters. 

Placide is a big miss

Simple as that.  Onwards and upwards. 

You normally chat shit, but that's pretty much spot on. Don't think Doyle's were all sitters, but given his form you'd have expected him to score at least one.

Thought we set up quite negatively today, Omrani and Fane meant we had no width in midfield and Gardner and Byrne struggled to get involved. Fane did well after his booking, great touch with his standing foot in the second half! Hopefully bounce back against Carlisle.

Dont see how anyone can blame the keeper for the first 2 goals, woeful defending cost us, it wasn't easy in that wind as our 2nd goal testified, we would not have scored that without a swirling wind, Doyle had a rare off day, how he missed the one near the end I don't know, swung his boot at the wrong time I suppose

Ruddy is getting some unfair criticism for me. The first one he does well to stop the first shot and their striker reacts quicker than the defenders and gets a tap in. The second one is a cock up by clarke and yet again we are exposed on our right side and they score. I didnt have a good view of the third, but a few have said he could do better so will have to see a replay.

More worryingly, at times this season our defence has looked slow and we are constantly exposed on our right hand side. Dummigan has no protection and is left facing two players on a regular basis, which for me is more worrying than the goalkeeper. We have seen recently just how good johny is but this is because teams are getting behind us too easily, especially on our right

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Apparently Wilson stormed out when the teams were announced in the changing rooms that’s what’s floating around Facebook anyway. Wouldn’t surprise me after Ruddys performances before Sheridan left.  

He must have only stormed as far as the pitch - he was in goal on the warmup...