Scunthorpe (H)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Magister said:

Yes they are....they showed that Scunthope scored a third goal

They also conclusively show that grass is green and that we play in blue.

...like your point, however, neither of those things is relevant to my query about whether Duane Holmes was in an offside position.

6 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

They also conclusively show that grass is green and that we play in blue.

...like your point, however, neither of those things is relevant to my query about whether Duane Holmes was in an offside position.

Looked off to me from 80yds away....noted that ref took a long hard look towards lino before giving it.Waiting to see highlights before forming final judgement.

Edited by pk200

Ended up really enjoying that after being highly frustrated with the first 30minutes.

We simply didn’t handle the weather at the start especially with a change in personnel.

Ruddy, as has been said visibly drains the confidence out of the defence especially Peter Clarke. 

Omrani again showed his lack of awareness positionally, he runs around like a headless chicken and forever gets caught ahead of the ball. He seems to do ok when he comes on as a sub because the games are always stretched by this point. Fair play to Richie for making a sub early, we absolutely battered them for the remainder of the match.

McArdle and Burgess are hard to win headers against, especially when the kicks from Ruddy we’re often just aimless punts rather than aimed towards the strikers as Placide does.

We’d have won comfortably if Menig and especially Doyle put one of many chances away.

Glad that our two goals were from set pieces, shows we can score a different way other than intricate passing moves.

Unlucky with their third, when you’re playing a 3-3-4, there’s always the chance it could happen especially after we had just scored, do feel Placide would have stopped it though.

Scunthorpe have been a top 6 side for 2 seasons now and we’re miles the better team provided we have Placide in net and Gardner in the middle. Fane needs Gardner and Byrne around him and Byrne needs Gardner central with him. They are a very very important threesome that shouldn’t be broken up. 

Dummigan is gaining more and more confidence which is great to see, not the best defensively but he’s becoming an increasingly important asset going forward. Byrne looks for him a lot with the ball. 

We were going to lose sometime and we’ll take a lot from that defeat. I can’t see us being comprehensively thumped by anyone this seaso. If this team stay together 

13 minutes ago, pk200 said:

Looked off to me from 80yds away....noted that ref took a long hard look towards lino before giving it.Waiting to see highlights before forming final judgement.

It's irrelevant as is whether they should have a penalty.....the goal was given , the penalty wasn't.....that's how the game is. We fans discussing ubtil Tuesday alters nothing

4 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

I agree it's irrrelevant. People discussing a football match on a football forum, whatever next? I'm just watching Match of the Day, why do they need Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy to discuss a match we have all just watched?

That’s a very good question in itself.

48 minutes ago, Magister said:

It's irrelevant as is whether they should have a penalty.....the goal was given , the penalty wasn't.....that's how the game is. We fans discussing ubtil Tuesday alters nothing

Good point. Ackey, Stevie etc, lock the whole board up. Shit happens and we shouldn't discuss it. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

A brave/smart manager now would ease Clarke out and bring Gerrard in.

Clarke’s been much improved since Wellens took charge.

One poor game doesn’t warrant a change in my opinion. Plus, it’s a big decision to take your captain out.

Today proves how big a player Placide is for us he provides the base for our team, Ruddy parried 2 that lead to 2 goals, I think Johnny would of caught the cross for their 3rd he has miles better awareness and handling and distribution then Ruddy, he put his foot through everything, I think Ruddy makes a good save initially  for their first unlucky with it falling right in the path of their striker, we started very poorly today, difficult conditions was always going to be tough  after the effort we put in Tuesday and Scunthorpe having the weeks rest. 

I thought Scunthorpe were a decent side closed us down constantly and when they won the ball they could find men with quick passing and were good on the counter. Omrani was poor today every pass was to an opponent and was rightly subbed, Queensy came on and gave us a lift we started to get back into the game with Byrne getting on the ball and picking his passes. Shows the spirit we have to fight back from 2 down but on another day Doyle bags at least 2 he had a bad day today, so unlucky the way the ball ricocheted into their wingers pass for the winner, Dummigan had a good game again, I thought Hunt was our MOM dident put a foot wrong all game, hopefully Johnny is back for the next league game he is a huge player for us !

It was a funny feeling coming away from a defeat not feeling too disheartened or pessimistic. The first 20 minutes were dire, but we improved a lot after were in previous seasons and probably even a few weeks ago we'd have folded completely and lost by a few more. Conceding pretty much straight after scoring is unforgivable though and the defence is a concern.

Daft as it sounds it may be a blessing, as it gives Wellens his first real test as manager and a chance to assess and reassess. It's a test I'm confident he'll pass with flying colours.

Also i thought they were a very decent side and I reckon they'll be right up there come May

I like Wellens would of started with that team. Fair play to Wellens for changing it quickly. 

Why did Clarke come off? Strange one if tactical. When we equalised we didn't have any players left on the pitch that could fit into any sort of formation. So their winnerwas always goingto happen. That gamble from Wellens came a little to early on 74 minutes, we scored not long after that. 

For their Dummigan has to take absolutely everything and win that tackle. He didn't go in fully committed, still an unlucky bounce. 

45 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I like Wellens would of started with that team. Fair play to Wellens for changing it quickly. 

Why did Clarke come off? Strange one if tactical. When we equalised we didn't have any players left on the pitch that could fit into any sort of formation. So their winnerwas always goingto happen. That gamble from Wellens came a little to early on 74 minutes, we scored not long after that. 

For their Dummigan has to take absolutely everything and win that tackle. He didn't go in fully committed, still an unlucky bounce. 

That is a little unfair on Drumningham, he was first to the ball it just pinged off their lad straight to the lad in acres of space, fair point about the team that started though, you would have thought it would have offered a little more protection to the back 4.

Think Ruddy's getting some unfair stick here. The first one he's done well to save, then their lad is just more alert and on the front foot than our back four. The second is an absolute travesty from Clarke, twice. 

He maybe could have done better on the the third, but I think their forward flying in at the near post may get a little touch. Agree with welshgaz above - Dummigan's got to be braver and do more there. 

Edited by josh_latics

16 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Think Ruddy's getting some unfair stick here. The first one he's done well to save, then their lad is just more alert and on the front foot than our back four. The second is an absolute travesty from Clarke, twice. 

He maybe could have done better on the the third, but I think their forward flying in at the near post may get a little touch. Agree with welshgaz above - Dummigan's got to be braver and do more there. 

First one he's got to push it away from the 6 yard box, can't just palm it into the path of the striker

Good test for RW now, easy when your winning and a whole lot harder when you lose.

The substitutions he makes shows me that he recognises his problems and is not afraid to make changes regardless of who and why. Many managers would not even contemplate subbing the captain, or indeed subbing a player that he thought would do well and give him his first start only to find it was not working. Stubbornness seems not to be clouding his judgement.

Highlights:

Think Ruddy's initial save for the first goal is slightly better than I first thought and the defence is less to blame. Not the best angle for the third, not clear if Ruddy should do better with the cross or not. 

Clarke looks to be injured after scoring (cut around the eye) wonder if that's why he was subbed? Can't make out the penalty very well too, but I wonder if there's an element of the forward shooting, it going wide and then running into Ruddy.