Checkatrade Trophy - Last 16

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, singe said:

just posted in the Bradford thread, but this might be better, I think the Northern part of the draw will be:

Us

Dale

Bury

Fleetwood

Blackpool or Mansfield

Shrewsbury

Lincoln

Leicester

When is the draw?

3 hours ago, singe said:

just posted in the Bradford thread, but this might be better, I think the Northern part of the draw will be:

Us

Dale

Bury

Fleetwood

Blackpool or Mansfield

Shrewsbury

Lincoln

Leicester

You will need to add the rest singe....quarter-finals will be drawn without geographical restriction (no regionalisation); 

Fancy a midweek trip to Yeovil anyone?

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2017/may/efl-statement-on-checkatrade-trophy-changes/

Edited by BP1960

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You will need to add the rest singe....quarter-finals will be drawn without geographical restriction (no regionalisation); 

Fancy a midweek trip to Yeovil anyone?

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2017/may/efl-statement-on-checkatrade-trophy-changes/

Yes but we are not at quarter finals yet....this is last 16 and it is regionalised

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Quite fitting really. A joke of a competition in association with a comic.

it is an interesting conundrum thiis regular condemnation of the Sun. Of course it's views are worthy of condemnation ....however it is like Trump's tweets. I doubt any of us follow him on Twitter but every morning you wake up to the radio alarm and some programme ridiculing his over night tweet. The problem is that the condemnation brings the tweet to the attention of people who would not otherwise have had any knowledge of it...and doubtless Trump wants his tweets to be the centre of attraction.....similarly every time the untruths in the Sun are mentioned is just gives oxygen to the views we condemn.....as I say to highlight or ignore is a moot point

16 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

And tonight, Chelsea have Kenedy and Batshauyi (or however you spell it) in their line up. Worth around £40M between them. Hardly makes it competitive.

Kennedy at least does meet the age qualification ! With Batashuyai at 24 and a fee of £33 million you have a point?

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I thought people were angry at u21 teams being in it? Now they play quality players people ain’t happy? That’s like saying u don’t want the fa cup? Surely better player in the tin pot cup is a good thing ....

The whole point of introducing u21s was to better the English national team - not to let Chelsea give their huge pool of expensive players a run out. 

15 hours ago, latics22 said:

I thought people were angry at u21 teams being in it? Now they play quality players people ain’t happy? That’s like saying u don’t want the fa cup? Surely better player in the tin pot cup is a good thing ....

15 hours ago, josh_latics said:

The whole point of introducing u21s was to better the English national team - not to let Chelsea give their huge pool of expensive players a run out. 

At the expense of lower league teams getting to Wembley.

With players who don't meet the qualification criteria, as mentioned.

And the main objection is the back door entry of B Teams to the League. This could potentially be at the expense of Oldham, but any club is unacceptable -except MK Dons.

Despite assurances it is not the case,many a promise has been broken before so I think it very risky to take a chance, particularly as the clubs caved in so easily with the increased price money. It only took an extra £20,000 for each club to allow the Checkatrade to continue

It is easy to see a Kamikaze majority of Chairmen, thinking we might do enough to be safe but keep the £'s offered.

How much do you think it would take to get a majority of Chairmen to allow B Teams into the League? A comparatively piddling amount I think.

3 hours ago, singe said:

How much do you think it would take to get a majority of Chairmen to allow B Teams into the League? A comparatively piddling amount I think.

Just because we are run like a circus don't let it muddy your perception of other football clubs chairmen, most of what you've posted is pie in the sky and quite frankly a load of bollocks but it fits in with an agenda plenty are prepared to monger, there is absolutely no evidence that the greedy league are pushing for B teams to be allowed into the EFL.

18 hours ago, josh_latics said:

I would hazard a guess that most of the Premier League U21 teams are made up mostly of foreign youngsters. If they are in this competition then they should only ne allowed to play U21 British players, and no overage players.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

I would hazard a guess that most of the Premier League U21 teams are made up mostly of foreign youngsters. If they are in this competition then they should only ne allowed to play U21 British players, and no overage players.

Unfortunately European legislation doesn't allow that.

There would be a potential to exclude non-EU players but that is only a potential and many will hold EU citizenship even if they play for a country outside the EU.

17 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Unfortunately European legislation doesn't allow that.

There would be a potential to exclude non-EU players but that is only a potential and many will hold EU citizenship even if they play for a country outside the EU.

Is this finally going to be a good thing to come out of Brexit.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

One of the many good things.

Unlike some I can't see B teams ever playing in the EFL.  They would rise to the top and then you could have a Chelsea A and B team in the premiership - can't happen.

In Spain they have B teams in the league, but they can only go as high as the 2nd tier.  In Germany I believe it's the 3rd tier.

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Is this finally going to be a good thing to come out of Brexit.

My understanding (last time I paid much attention was a while ago though), was that free movement of people within Europe is likely to be retained. 

Losing a few footballers and others won’t compensate for the loss of thousands of very useful doctors, nurses, teachers etc. That is for another thread though.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

My understanding (last time I paid much attention was a while ago though), was that free movement of people within Europe is likely to be retained. 

Losing a few footballers and others won’t compensate for the loss of thousands of very useful doctors, nurses, teachers etc. That is for another thread though.

Tongue was firmly in cheek.