Wigan (A)

The most concerning think was the team look to be going through the motions, every game in our situation should  be like a cup tie, but so often we lose the ball in possession or sloppily give it away. 

If RW can't motivate this lot we a going down IMO. 

He needs to take a good  look at players who aren't up for a fight and bring in those who are. 

Most know my feeling on Byrne and Davies and I think the penny finally  dropped with the manager when he hauled them off yesterday. 

As for Fane, he should have been the first to be subbed and I'd be amazed if he starts against Blackpool. 

Edited by BP1960

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As for Fane, he should have been the first to be subbed and I'd be amazed if he starts against Blackpool. 

The last time Fane was subbed at 2-0 down half the idiots in the North Stand were booing the decision.

FFS he cannot kick a football and isnt really very good at tackling and his reading of the game is absolutely dire.

Gardner, whom i rate, has been shifted around to accomodate Fane and I totally blame Wellens for this.

There has been a knock on effect with Byrne being starved of decent possession who then comes too deep to get the ball

so he isnt effective, but there again Wellens should tell him where to play and instruct others at what stage to give him the ball.

We have no leaders in that team and concede too many these days with a poor defence and a dodgy shotstopper as keeper.

Apart from that we are fine!

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The most concerning think was the team look to be going through the motions, every game in our situation should  be like a cup tie, but so often we lose the ball in possession or sloppily give it away. 

If RW can't motivate this lot we a going down IMO. 

He needs to take a good  look at players who aren't up for a fight and bring in those who are. 

Most know my feeling on Byrne and Davies and I think the penny finally  dropped with the manager when he hauled them off yesterday. 

If we take on board recent comment from Richie Wellens, then he is going to (and has to) make use of the large squad he has available. We are facing 8 games in 27 days in April.

Starting on Monday I believe we will see changes to the starting eleven that he has been overly loyal to. McEleny should start as well as Holloway with hopefully either Benyu or Nepomuceno to give us some width. I’m not sure how close Gerrard is to a return but he has been sorely missed at the back.

We have been poor for the last three games and it is time to shake things up. I would persevere with Byrne but play him in the middle. Doyle is getting into good positions, it’s time he got back to the prolific striker he was before his injury.

Weather permitting, I’m up for the Blackpool game. Only a win will do.

I can't see why we now play Gardner and Byrne so far apart, they had real early signs of developing into a quality partnership early on, what has happened to that? Patience running out for Fane, if he's in as a ball winner then the tracking back for their third yesterday was unacceptable, take a look again on TV. Wilson lack of pace in the centre found out for the first and Bryan messed up with his back pass when clearly Wilson told him to pass upfield.

still in our hands with a favourable run in, might need 52 points thi season!

Fane looked like he won a competition to play for us yesterday, terrible display. He has his lovers and his haters but he needs to be replaced with someone who can actually kick a ball straight. I feel for RW position as well, if he can’t see that Fane should have been replaced 30 mins in as he was getting the runaround then leaving him on for the 90 then it’s the end of the road for me. I can’t see him being our “gaffer” next season.

13 minutes ago, wogghead1 said:

Fane looked like he won a competition to play for us yesterday, terrible display. He has his lovers and his haters but he needs to be replaced with someone who can actually kick a ball straight. I feel for RW position as well, if he can’t see that Fane should have been replaced 30 mins in as he was getting the runaround then leaving him on for the 90 then it’s the end of the road for me. I can’t see him being our “gaffer” next season.

Wellens had big problems yesterday.

With the exception of Placide and Moimbe everybody on the pitch was shit.

35 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Controversial view, I know, but I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. Not great, admittedly, but we've won games playing worse.

Wigan are just a lot better than us.

Didn’t go but looking at the names of the scorers completely sums it up I imagine.

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Controversial view, I know, but I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. Not great, admittedly, but we've won games playing worse.

Wigan are just a lot better than us.

We were slow in the build up, lost possesion a lot , the passing was sloppy, and not many turned up for a battle.

Apart from that Wigan did have better players granted.

Edited by BP1960

I went to the game. Wigan - for their part - probably played like they’ve played in most of their home games. They looked confident, like they expected to win. We on the other hand never got to grips with them, didn’t put tackles in in midfield and our defence were constantly turned and put under pressure. 

I felt a bit sorry for Davies and Doyle because they were feeding off scraps.

We have so many options up front but our midfield and defence are not playing well at all so the strikers are getting very poor service.

Gardner is the only midfielder who achieves any sort of consistency in my opinion. Byrne is nowhere near the same player that he was when he was on loan, Fane is simply not good enough. His weight of pass is abysmal, he can’t head the ball, even his tackling isn’t as effective nowadays. We’ve simply got to be able to do better than a player of his ability.

Wigan away is one thing, and it’s true that we won’t ultimately be judged against that level of opposition, but Portsmouth at home was also very poor.

We need to be a LOT better on Monday.

A defeat against Blackpool at the same time as a couple of teams seem to be gaining some momentum could put us in a very tricky position.

RW needs to find some answers soon, and get the team playing with some pace and power. Give the strikers some opportunities, they’ve proven that they can score goals if provided with the chances.

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Doyle had a couple yesterday but is still waiting to click - maybe Monday?

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Doyle had a couple yesterday but is still waiting to click - maybe Monday?

You know what I mean on the whole though?

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

Gardner is the only midfielder who achieves any sort of consistency in my opinion. Byrne is nowhere near the same player that he was when he was on loan, Fane is simply not good enough. His weight of pass is abysmal, he can’t head the ball, even his tackling isn’t as effective nowadays. We’ve simply got to be able to do better than a player of his ability.

Well it would seem you have had a welcome change of opinion. Pulled me over the coals about this fella a few weeks back.

Like him or loathe him Fane has to play if he’s fit.

Believe me I’ve taken some convincing with him, he’s THE most awkward looking player when he’s got the ball that I’ve ever seen!

His weight of pass his abysmal at times, but the one thing he can do - and does do - is break up play. He puts in some tremendous tackling with those long legs of his.

Sometimes a team needs a lesser talented  player to do the dirty work for the flair players.

We just don’t seem to have any tacklers in midfield, but Fane certainly is, and he gets through a massive amount of work every game.

He might not be pleasing to the eye but I guarantee that the likes of Byrne and Gardner love playing alongside him.

Not after an argument or a fall out.

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Well it would seem you have had a welcome change of opinion. Pulled me over the coals about this fella a few weeks back.

Not after an argument or a fall out.

Ha Ha, it’s true, I’ve lost patience with him. I did point out his failings in my previous post but he sort of won me over with his ability to break up play and the fact that we don’t seem to have any tacklers in

midfield, I did think he was worth his place. He’s not been doing it lately though and we certainly can’t afford to carry him now. 

21 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

The highlights on the official site look embarrassing, not one attack from the real Latics!!!

Doyle squandered a great chance at 0-0.

McEleney did an exciting mazy run with no end product.

At 3-0 Doyle looked like he should have had a penalty.

That was about it.

55 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Doyle squandered a great chance at 0-0.

McEleney did an exciting mazy run with no end product.

At 3-0 Doyle looked like he should have had a penalty.

That was about it.

I'm sure he crossed it to Doyle who had a chance blocked with a volley?