Away day you’ve always wanted to do

I’ve was lucky enough to have been around during the “pinch me” years and so I’ve visited most of the big clubs around the country, I also went to Genoa away in the Anglo Italian Cup.

Whilst one or two teams have new stadiums I’d like to watch Latics at, there’s one away day I’ve not managed to do that’s perhaps slightly odd. I’m dying to see Latics play at Fulham, no idea why, it’s just a ground I’ve not got to that I’ve always fancied visiting.

How about the rest of you?

8 minutes ago, 4oakslatic said:

I've been to Fulham it's a nice ground to watch footy at!

i went to Roker park for a mid week 00 but I've never been to Newcastle which is the ground I'd love to get to! 

But not Fulham like this...

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

But Bobby Moore scored one of the best own goals I have ever seen at Boundary Park unstoppable diving header. 

I remember that one at the Chaddy End.Nearty broke the net !

I also stood in that freezing open end at Fulham when we got thumped 5-0 .Lots of Manure fans joined us since their match in London was called off.

I really fancied Burton and Oxford but couldn't go to either.

But everyone who went said both were shite. :lol:

Cambridge appeals too but for the same reasons as Oxford so that might be crap aswell. 

I'm always up for any London away - I've never been to Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs...

Or Fulham, proper old ground I imagine. That'd be good.

Most towns are carbon copies of each other nowadays though. 

We need to get into Europe, although I struggle to think of anything worse than being in a continental hotbed of culture with some of you lot :lol:

55 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I really fancied Burton and Oxford but couldn't go to either.

But everyone who went said both were shite. :lol:

Cambridge appeals too but for the same reasons as Oxford so that might be crap aswell. 

I'm always up for any London away - I've never been to Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs...

Or Fulham, proper old ground I imagine. That'd be good.

Most towns are carbon copies of each other nowadays though. 

We need to get into Europe, although I struggle to think of anything worse than being in a continental hotbed of culture with some of you lot :lol:

Yeah Burton and Oxford were a little disappointing when i went.  Burton's ground is OK but the town was dead when we went in for a post match pint.  Oxford's is a typical out-of-town ground.

Cambridge on the other hand I found to be a really good away day.  Decent ground and walking distance from the city centre which is worth spending the day around.  Fulham is also a decent ground and so close to the centre of London.

Away game I always wanted happened years ago when we played at Anfield but sadly lost .Recall Shaw scoring for us and a thunderbolt from Case for them.

Supporting home and away for nearly 50 years has given and left me with many great memories and sadness that many old grounds ha e been demolished.

12 hours ago, Harry Ogden said:

As a fan in Plymouth, I'd like a few seasons where I can see latics at Argyle, Exeter or even Yeovil

Yeovil is probably the ground I get least excited about going to now.  It's out-of-town, an uncovered terrace and we usually get a negative result there.  The only win I've seen us get there was a 2-0 win in 2006 and even that was a typical Ronnie Moore win with not a lot of quality.

Exeter is my hometown and where I currently live.  I'd like it if we were in the same league and when the new away end (and Grandstand) are in place it will be a much better away day.

Certainly looking forward to the Argyle game in a fortnight!

19 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Yeovil is probably the ground I get least excited about going to now.  It's out-of-town, an uncovered terrace and we usually get a negative result there.  The only win I've seen us get there was a 2-0 win in 2006 and even that was a typical Ronnie Moore win with not a lot of quality.

Exeter is my hometown and where I currently live.  I'd like it if we were in the same league and when the new away end (and Grandstand) are in place it will be a much better away day.

Paul Warne was quality that day. And Paul Edwards...until he got himself sent off :lol:

Grounds I'd like to get to:

Newcastle

Arsenal

Chelsea

Villa

Charlton - can't make it again this time

Morecambe

Forest Green

Ipswich

Council House - with Oldham

Shrewsburys new ground - been to the Gay Meadow, had 5 failed (cancelled snow/illness etc) attempts to new one. Train ticket booked this time (again).

Edited by boundaryblue80

19 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Agree about Yeovil but there are seats under cover next to the open end which we have used but has a very small bar area..Exeter is a nicer place  by  far.

Lived in Plymouth off and on for about 20 years. So as you can imagine I know lots of Argyle fans even the Mrs and her family.  

Plymouth away was the first match I looked for when the fixtures came out. It would be good to take 3 points of them just for bragging rights. 

Shame it is so close to the festive period as I am sure it has put many off making the long trek down the M5 for the game. 

Back on topic though Fulham away and also Newcastle are 2 grounds that I have never been to and always fancied going. Mainly for the pre and post match social. 

Edited by cornishblue

Stadium of Shite (literally last week)- Sunderland

Lots of grounds in London and Oxford. As my Dad has done most of them and even played on a couple- he marked Trevor Brooking for 89 and a half minutes on one.

Plymouth in a couple of weeks 

Gillingham

19 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Away game I always wanted happened years ago when we played at Anfield but sadly lost .Recall Shaw scoring for us and a thunderbolt from Case for them.

Supporting home and away for nearly 50 years has given and left me with many great memories and sadness that many old grounds ha e been demolished.

That was the FA Cup, we lost 3-1 I think. My only visit to Anfield, I stood on the Kop and survived.