Patrick McEleney

In the OS item about McEleney, it mentions him playing in the behind closed doors friendly on Tuesday in which Latics beat Man U 3-1 at Carrington. RW also referred to it briefly in ‘This Week At Latics’. Surely any victory against the richest club in the world, at any level, in any location, is worth more publicity! Who are ya? Who are ya? :D

1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

In the OS item about McEleney, it mentions him playing in the behind closed doors friendly on Tuesday in which Latics beat Man U 3-1 at Carrington. RW also referred to it briefly in ‘This Week At Latics’. Surely any victory against the richest club in the world, at any level, in any location, is worth more publicity! Who are ya? Who are ya? :D

Did Pogba get a game...?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So where do Pringle and Gardner fit into Byrne's plans?

Pringle is a loan so focus needs to be our own players when possible I would say (unless the loan player is a lot better than our own player) ..Gardner and fane the holding 2 maybe? 

Edited by super_blue

"He's a top player and I watched him loads of times when Graham Barrett (agent) told me he was going to come here. I look forward to playing with him."

He was first linked with us late November and officially signed late December, his season finished in October? Has Byrne had Paddy's YouTube highlight video on loop, or was this move on the cards a lot longer than we thought?

10 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

"He's a top player and I watched him loads of times when Graham Barrett (agent) told me he was going to come here. I look forward to playing with him."

He was first linked with us late November and officially signed late December, his season finished in October? Has Byrne had Paddy's YouTube highlight video on loop, or was this move on the cards a lot longer than we thought?

I’d guess a lot longer

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

For those there yesterday what were your first impressions on Mceleny and how did he look? 

Shocking. Pace of the game took him by surprise. He’s overweight and his fitness is still way off. I think he’ll struggle to get into the side as he won’t be fit enough to play on the wing - that’s not his style anyway and Wellens will always be two up top from now on and rightly so

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

For those there yesterday what were your first impressions on Mceleny and how did he look? 

Perhaps understandably, had a shocking first ten minutes when he didn't seem to have any kind of control of the the ball but improved after that. Couple of good driving runs to relieve pressure so some promise but I suspect the rest of this season will be a bit of a learning curve at times as he adjusts to the quicker pace of the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Looking at his physique, a few poor performances and it won’t be long before he’s ‘a disgrace for a professional footballer’

Not comparing the 2 because I haven't seen Mceleny play but you could have easily have said that about Gary Harkins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Looking at his physique, a few poor performances and it won’t be long before he’s ‘a disgrace for a professional footballer’

19 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Shocking. Pace of the game took him by surprise. He’s overweight and his fitness is still way off. I think he’ll struggle to get into the side as he won’t be fit enough to play on the wing - that’s not his style anyway and Wellens will always be two up top from now on and rightly so

Here we go again...

what is about some who feel the need to write off one of our players after a 30 minute run out?

Give the guy a chance -  <shakes head in disbelief > ?

13 hours ago, NewBlue said:

If he was thinner he wouldn't have got the deflection... :)

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Overweight? Haha. Fuck me that is brilliant 

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Of all the negative shite with writing players off too soon this tops the lot. Already written him off for a starting spot. 

Think I'll go with Wellens and Doyle's opinion on him

6 minutes ago, BFPhil said:

I thought it took McEleney 10/15 minutes to get used to the pace of the game, but I saw him visibly improve in his 1/2 hour appearance. 

Agreed. I reckon that he will be a very good player for us. He got the ball stuck under his feet a couple of times; however, with the exception of Doyle, all of our players are guilty of that.

Once he became more accustomed to the pace, it was good to see him in and around the vacinity of the ball particularly in the forward third most of that final half hour.

The one thing that did impress me was that he did track back despite his lack of fitness. 

One time in partcular on a Scunny attack down the left, he looked to have over run the ball . Instead of panicking and blasting it, he calmly toe poked it past the midfielder who was coming at him at a far pace (as was the ball) completely wrong footing the Scunny player and skipped around him.

He was never going to be a bundle of high energy, but he will be.