January transfer window

4 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Main thing going forward RW changes his philosophy we cant play pretty football in our predicament we need to become hard to beat firstly and grind results out starting on Saturday. 

Yes we can though - good attacking football gets results hence the reason City are running away with the Premier League. Best defence is a good offence 

6 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Just a thought on the Swedish striker Richard Yarsuvat. If he’s a free agent, we can sign him after the deadline can’t we?

If that’s the case there’s still a chance for him and others to still be signed. 

Yep. 

If Wellens can’t adapt without Doyle for the next month - or however long it is - he won’t be allowed to manage the side with him in, I’d have thought

Still, think we’ve made some good business this window. Got rid of a few deadweights and added proven quality with a couple of untesteds. The manager has been given the tools to put together that run earlier in the season. 

Only other addition would've been another defender, but maybe it’s time we trust the youth.

9 hours ago, mickjagger said:
9 hours ago, boyinthesnow said:

Doyle, Bryan, Pringle, benyu, nazon, Zeus, moimbre, byrne, mceleny.

True most already been playing with no effect so far defensively we needed more.

Doyle, Bryan, Byrne - played and to great effect

Pringle - played and to some effect but still obviously not match fit

Benyu - played but to no effect

Nazon - played once and to good effect

Zeus, Moimbé, McEleny  not yet played

So not quite as you make out.

But defensively our approach and personnel needs changing!

Would have been good to bring in a leader type cb but we were in a tricky position this window. Money or no money. 

We can only use 5 loans in a match day squad which we already have now. So a loan signing would mean not being able to use other loan signings in the squad. Which probably wouldn’t go down great with Celtic or Wolves. Bryan, Doyle and Pringle being certain starters. 

So that would leave permanent transfers. And given our position where there’s a chance we’d be in league 2 next season, it’s unlikely any quality player would commit to that uncertainty long term.

Which only leaves short term contracts. So a very limited pool of players to go for. 

Season now now hinges on 3 things:

1. How soon Doyle is back

2. How good Moimbé is. Big unknown but if he is solid defensively and is good on the overlap, then with him on left, Gerrard and Bryan in the middle and Hunt at right back I think that’s a good back 4. 

3. Finding and organising a settled midfield formation. 

I think we’ve got enough to stay up now. Just have to put it all together. 

Loving the optimism but everyone seems to be forgetting we are winless in 10 league games and haven't kept a clean sheet in 14 with largely the same group of players (Nazon and the new left back the exceptions) all this talk of staying up easy is frankly bollocks.

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Would have been good to bring in a leader type cb but we were in a tricky position this window. Money or no money. 

We can only use 5 loans in a match day squad which we already have now. So a loan signing would mean not being able to use other loan signings in the squad. Which probably wouldn’t go down great with Celtic or Wolves. Bryan, Doyle and Pringle being certain starters. 

So that would leave permanent transfers. And given our position where there’s a chance we’d be in league 2 next season, it’s unlikely any quality player would commit to that uncertainty long term.

Which only leaves short term contracts. So a very limited pool of players to go for. 

2. How good Moimbé is. Big unknown but if he is solid defensively and is good on the overlap, then with him on left, Gerrard and Bryan in the middle and Hunt at right back I think that’s a good back 4. 

Pretty fair assessment.

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Also factor in that things should (I say that hesitantly) settle down now so Wellens can get on with working with what he's got. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Also factor in that things should (I say that hesitantly) settle down now so Wellens can get on with working with what he's got. 

Indeed.  And also Pringle getting 'match sharp'.  Still hoping for more from him and that him being off the pace so far is purely down to lack of games.