January transfer window

2 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If the management team were looking at players for the first time yesterday and being expected to make a decision on them then that can’t be good.

I would hope that the scouting and recruiting is carried out much more professionally than that but I’m far from convinced.

The last lot of foreign imports hardly set the place alight - Omrani, Mouache, Menig, to name but three. I do wonder whether Shez earlier in the season and RW currently are being ‘given’ these players and being told that they are going to be signed. Hope that isn’t the case because apart from it being unfair on the manager, they have been, on the whole, sub-standard. 

Not being negative just saying it as I see it.

It's exactly what's happening. Unless like on August 31st, Wellens can do what Shez did and beg for a play or two of his own.

And having caught up on this topic....the fact we are offering out Ryan Mac on a free "to free up wages" is extremely fucking alarming. I know AL isn't promising to splash the cash but freeing up the wages of Ryan Mac who can't be on a massive wedge (and is capable if he can stay fit)...this is the sort of stunt Corney would be pulling. But I've got to trust that Simon Corney...he did say he would only sell to someone who could take us further...Further where...???

8hrs to go...

Edited by boundaryblue80

3 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

It's exactly what's happening. Unless like on August 31st, Wellens can do what Shez did and beg for a play or two of his own.

And having caught up on this topic....the fact we are offering out Ryan Mac on a free "to free up wages" is extremely fucking alarming. I know AL isn't promising to splash the cash but freeing up the wages of Ryan Mac who can't be on a massive wedge (and is capable if he can stay fit)...this is the sort of stunt Corney would be pulling. But I've got to trust that Simon Corney...he did say he would only sell to someone who could take us further. Just not sure which "further" he is relating to......

8hrs to go...

Not sure that McLaughlin will be on that small a wage. And is he out of contract in the summer? I'm absolutely not comfortable with losing him, but if he's going anyway, is consuming a fair chunk of wages, and isn't setting the world alight in the remainder of his time here, I wouldn't be panicking.

Although there's a few "ifs" that make me very uneasy...

6 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

And having caught up on this topic....the fact we are offering out Ryan Mac on a free "to free up wages" is extremely fucking alarming. I know AL isn't promising to splash the cash but freeing up the wages of Ryan Mac who can't be on a massive wedge (and is capable if he can stay fit)...this is the sort of stunt Corney would be pulling. But I've got to trust that Simon Corney...he did say he would only sell to someone who could take us further...Further where...???

8hrs to go...

Ryan Mac could be a very good player but he is constantly injured. Just as he gets to fitness he's injured again.

Plus he can go for free in the summer anyway. So no need to be alarmed.

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd rather get another decent striker in 

Doubt anyone we can get in at this stage would be much improvement on Davies or Ducky with Doyle coming later down the line

We really need a solid CB

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

To show my ignorance (again).

Is it usual to have trialists in the January window.  Surely this is something you do before the season starts to check on a players form.  Shouldn't we be signing players who have played games and who have been assessed by someone for us.  Trialists speaks of a van full of people with names we have never heard of before.   They are unlikely to be the answer for a team staring at relegation because there is no time to acclimatise to league 1 football.

3 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If the management team were looking at players for the first time yesterday and being expected to make a decision on them then that can’t be good.

I would hope that the scouting and recruiting is carried out much more professionally than that but I’m far from convinced.

The last lot of foreign imports hardly set the place alight - Omrani, Mouache, Menig, to name but three. I do wonder whether Shez earlier in the season and RW currently are being ‘given’ these players and being told that they are going to be signed. Hope that isn’t the case because apart from it being unfair on the manager, they have been, on the whole, sub-standard. 

Not being negative just saying it as I see it.

Spot on.

I don’t mind if AL Suggests players to Wellens, or the whoever is the manager. Or offers them a trial in the summer so we can have a good look before making a decision. But’s not what’s happening. Players are just being signed or offered a quick trial and shez and now Wellens are just having to deal with it. . .  

We will constantly have two different agenda’s when it come to signing someone, who the owner can bring in, and who the manager wants. Common sense tell you, that will cause friction. 

The most pressing thing though is the players AL has brought in, are largely poor and Wellens doesn’t trust them. IMO if it’s RW neck on line then he has to be given full responsability for the job. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on.

I don’t mind if AL Suggests players to Wellens, or the whoever is the manager. Or offers them a trial in the summer so we can have a good look before making a decision. But’s not what’s happening. Players are just being signed or offered a quick trial and shez and now Wellens are just having to deal with it. . .  

We will constantly have two different agenda’s when it come to signing someone, who the owner can bring in, and who the manager wants. Common sense tell you, that will cause friction. 

The most pressing thing though is the players AL has brought in, are largely poor and Wellens doesn’t trust them. IMO if it’s RW neck on line then he has to be given full responsability for the job. 

Totally agree with this! ?

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

RW has got his own man in first..Doyle.

To be fair though, looking back at the video at Christmas, I think Doyle was staying then had he not fallen ill.

it will be interesting to see the quality of any foreign signings though, because they haven’t been good enough on the whole so far.

Just now, League one forever said:

It’s a great signing BP, fair play. As is Bryan Byrne and Pringle. AL has backed him, but I want all the  signings to the managers choice. 

In reality though, that isnt going to happen and that’s the concern. 

I don't have a problem with Abdallah bringing players in, within reason.

Team selection should absolutely be the managers choice but if AL thinks bringing in other players for him to work with (and play if he sees fit) will be to the benefit of the club let's see how it pans out...