7 wins...where will they come from?

7 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Sorry, but Wellens isn't clueless.  He proved that earlier in the season when he helped turn around a team that was a mess partly due to Shez's mistakes.

Is he the right man to lead us through this relegation battle?  It's debatable because the style he's had us playing is very open and I'm not sure shutting up shop will come easily to him.

But clueless?  Nope, not having that.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/january/28012018-wellens-post-plymouth/

He knows what he needs to do. Time to deliver.

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

Bore off

I’m sorry but every other post is about shez all the time, you might have some good Input occasionally but please stop banging on about shez, he’s gone, he’s not coming back. I apologise for my aggressive post, but please try and change your topic 

9 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Sorry, but Wellens isn't clueless.  He proved that earlier in the season when he helped turn around a team that was a mess partly due to Shez's mistakes.

Is he the right man to lead us through this relegation battle?  It's debatable because the style he's had us playing is very open and I'm not sure shutting up shop will come easily to him.

But clueless?  Nope, not having that.

Even if we sack him because we feel that a different manager will be better at survival football, I'd still say that he'll have been harshly sacked and that he's shown signs that he'll become a good manager in the future.

100% agree with this, lets face it this season has been ruined by meddling and interfering from above and the only time we have shown any form is when Wellens was left holding the baby and our new owner was busy courting your Davids and Scholes of this world, Wellens will probably move on in a week or two and more than likely have a decent management career but like Shez he is being hung out to dry.

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m sorry but every other post is about shez all the time, you might have some good Input occasionally but please stop banging on about shez, he’s gone, he’s not coming back. I apologise for my aggressive post, but please try and change your topic 

I accept your apology, thank you. I do bang on about shez, but the reference was more how I feel in relation to the last two seasons. I will try to limit my shez loving. Unfortunately for me I only started going to oldham about 95/96. I have been starved of anything close to sucsess, other than glimpses under the one I will not mention. It’s so bad I watch england every 2 years in hope of some glory.

Can't say where the points will come from but there is no way that Doyle if signed will steer us to winning the last seven or even seven from the last ten. Bury and Rochdale (due to their pile up of fixtures) look like two of the four to drop but where the other two come from is somewhat more difficult to see if one of them is not us.  Looks like 50+ points will be needed and that suggests we need 11 from the next 8 games i.e. only losing three.......

Now that is depressing as we are not in a good position with the window closing tomorrow.  Help!

30 minutes ago, latics22 said:

What actually went on at Leyton orient? geniune question? Did they bring in substandard foreigners? Are we slightly different with signing bryne etc

Hearn sold the club in 2014, new owner oversees eleven managers in three seasons, went from losing in the League 1 playoff final to Conference in three seasons, reportedly paying players 10k a week and filling the rest of the squad out with bargain basement freebies, interfering in first team affairs and ever present in the dressing room and on the training pitch, bought all the players and left them up shit creek without a paddle, was finally ousted in June ladt year but the club still hasn't recovered.

If I was asked last week about the prospect of relegation I’d have said it was the beginning of the end for us.

I’m not *that* arsed now though, bizarrely. Whether that’s down to us having new ownership im not sure, but I don’t think it would result in repeats of Stockport and Tranmere as I once thought....

2 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

If I was asked last week about the prospect of relegation I’d have said it was the beginning of the end for us.

I’m not *that* arsed now though, bizarrely. Whether that’s down to us having new ownership im not sure, but I don’t think it would result in repeats of Stockport and Tranmere as I once thought....

Same. Not like attendances can drop a huge deal more (thanks Simon!). Biggest factor would be tv money/other money from the EFL, but a successful season on the pitch would likely see some fans returning, excited by a bit of momentum, maybe cancelling some of it out. Plus you'd hope most of the existing player contracts would include hefty relegation wage drops....you'd hope.

42 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Plus you'd hope most of the existing player contracts would include hefty relegation wage drops....you'd hope.

Therein lies the problem - lower wages equates to inferior quality players.  To get out of any of these leagues, at the right end, you need better quality players than the rest of the league.

You can forget us (Dale). Hill's messed up this season and the pitch is a right-off. They've bought a new one to go down in the summer but anything in the meantime is just temporary (drill and fill being tried this week). They even tried to swap tonight's home game v Wigan with the away one in February and it's been rumoured that we're looking at playing games elsewhere e.g. Stalybridge. All we've got really is the hope of Spurs in the Cup but if it rains between now and next week, we've no idea how the Millwall replay gets played.

4 minutes ago, DogDaley said:

You can forget us (Dale). Hill's messed up this season and the pitch is a right-off. They've bought a new one to go down in the summer but anything in the meantime is just temporary (drill and fill being tried this week). They even tried to swap tonight's home game v Wigan with the away one in February and it's been rumoured that we're looking at playing games elsewhere e.g. Stalybridge. All we've got really is the hope of Spurs in the Cup but if it rains between now and next week, we've no idea how the Millwall replay gets played.

Very public spirited of you to come on here and cheer us all up a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DogDaley said:

Not a problem. It's easier for us to accept the drop than yourselves for obvious reasons. It would be funny though if the three "Manchester North End" teams went down; maybe it's time for the merger?

We wouldn't be able to find a decent pitch between the 3 of us to play on.

34 minutes ago, DogDaley said:

Not a problem. It's easier for us to accept the drop than yourselves for obvious reasons. It would be funny though if the three "Manchester North End" teams went down; maybe it's time for the merger?

I'm not quite sure funny is the appropriate word..........

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

2 down 5 to go.....

I'm really looking forward to a season where the first few months of the year don't have one of these countdowns... I'm craving mid-table mediocrity.

This season's countdown seems more achievable though - I hope Typical Latics Law doesn't dictate that it's the one we make a mess of.