Blackburn Away

11 minutes ago, wilsonjunior said:

Not at all

With 11 men and not 10 i think he could of made a difference, as it was he bssically had to defend as a right midfield/right back at times.  By the by i dont rate him at all but felt that his pace would and could of caused them problems ss Bburn had pushed up to half way.  As it waa he came on, went down to 10 men and did nothing going forward.  Point taken!!

Edited by deckyd

Referee decision baffling today, the one that riled me was 2nd half as Their defender tries to turn Cam, he gets a foot on it, shields the ball and is about to get away running into their box, definitely would have got a shot away, Blackburn player goes to ground because he's been turned and ref blows! there was nothing in it at all! It's these decision that really get on my nerves

Great effort by the lads today.

The duck looks a player !! just need him to get a little fitter and bingo.

Davies worked his socks off and fane suprised me today, he did well.

Have to say some our fans today were disgraceful, inside the ground, great, outside before and after, not good.

I’ll take a point at Blackburn, a very good side but we outplayed them all first half, Nazon class for both goals very encouraging , Placide with another assist ! Second half we started well but great free kick from Mulgrew a Championship level player to get them back in the game. Noticed Mulgrew a CB was taking all of their set pieces probably one of the best players in league 1 ! We were up against it then at 2-1 and I knew we were probably going to be lucky to get a draw, what a save from Placide at 2-2 late on, point blank to keep us level Holloway had a great chance on the volley to win it at the death but scuffed it wide, imagine the scenes if that went in ! Great day though and fantastic support over 2000 class, need to win on Tuesday though ! 

18 minutes ago, wilsonjunior said:

Referee decision baffling today, the one that riled me was 2nd half as Their defender tries to turn Cam, he gets a foot on it, shields the ball and is about to get away running into their box, definitely would have got a shot away, Blackburn player goes to ground because he's been turned and ref blows! there was nothing in it at all! It's these decision that really get on my nerves

This was commented on on radio manc they agreed with you.

1 hour ago, underdog said:

BBC manc was a praising Davies a lot and Blackburn fans forum commenting on our big unit upfront causing chaos too.

so I am curious as he seems to be the new whipping boy, how did our fans who went think Davies did today? 

No response means I think you've got your answer. All keeping their heads down .

was in the away end for wimbledon v northampton today - I have a couple of friends from college that support both teams.  the good news is that neither team look as good as the Latics side that I saw beat bradford last weekend.  Bad news is that both teams remain above Latics.

One of the visiting supporters exclaimed his surprise halfway though the first half that Latics were 2 up.  I explained that there was still plenty of time left for them to screw it up and sure enough ...

Most popular chant amongst the visiting support: you're going down with the Franchise, down with Franchise.... B)

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Personally, I think the booking of Fane killed us just before half time. It meant that, in the 2nd half, he was walking a tightrope and wasn't pressing as much, which in turn meant we weren't pressing as a team. Whether you rate him or not, there is no disputing the fact that he has presses opposition players effectively for us.

Disappointed not to win. First half, we were excellent. 2nd half, there was only one time who looked like they fancied the win. Huge game on Tuesday...

You are right, a booked Fane is a passenger and the  manager should have realised that sooner rather than later.

It’s true that the totally needless tackle by Fane left him unable to be as effective in the 2nd half. And it’s easy to see that a lack of games in the tank for Nazon, Moimbe and Pringle has seen the side lose energy and composure doing that final half hour. Slight criticism of Wellens is he should’ve acted a bit sooner to the situation. Even Gardner struggles to be effective for 90mins so the subs were needed a lot sooner than they came. Another lesson learned for our young manager. 

Overall, it was a cracking point to leave with. We left with much more than most was expecting from the game. Would’ve been more had the ref not kept giving them a free kick every time their player ran full pelt into ours. The FK for their 1st goal was an appalling decision. Although, Johnny has to do better with that goal. He’s stood there & watches it sail right in. Poor. 

No quarms about the red card tho. Even if he got a slight touch of the ball it was a dangerous lunge and had I no complaints with a card. Moimbe struggled with the pace as the game wore on & Blackburn bombarded his area. With more games, he will be fit enough to perform as well as he was doing but for a full 90 minutes. 

Lots and lots of positives after today. Must keep it going on Tuesday. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

11 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Some absolute tools in that away end yesterday. Embarrassing some of that shite at the front and never seen anything like fellow latics fans lobbing a full flask of boiling drink (which smashed on some old fella) at their own fans.

One Latics fan was stood in the street after the match singing "No nay never" in a clear effort to goad any Blackburn fans. Not sure if he ended up getting filled in or not, but it wouldn't have surprised me...

This'll be a long one.

A brilliant away day.  Forest in the cup was the best I've witnessed but that was not far behind.  It was a pleasure to be part of that away end.

As for the game, it left me a bit breathless to be honest.  Very high energy throughout and while we were under pressure at the end, we had chances to win it too.  First half was pretty even with both sides looking decent, with the exception of the Duck who provided two moments of sheer inspiration.  

Second half started a bit slower but after Mulgrew's classy free kick they stepped it up a gear and showed the quality that they possess, Armstrong's off-the-ball movement and finish is better than League 1.  It's disappointing to lose a two goal lead but I would've definitely taken a point at the start and there are good signs as we embark upon (sadly) another relegation battle.

Placide - I like him.  Ripley has better goalkeeping attributes and less mistakes but I love the way he gets our attacks started from the back.  He might not be 100% reliable for a relegation battle but I'd definitely have him in a rebuilt team next season regardless of where we are.  What a save at 2-2 as well.

Dummigan - He finally seems to have found his feet.  I would be very happy with him at right back next year as I think he'll kick on again.

Gerrard - vital for our relegation battle.  He's very good in the air and has the nous to lead our back line.

Bryan - has the pace and ability on the ball that Gerrard doesn't but, as expected from a converted midfielder, isn't quite good enough in the air.

Moimbe - clearly good enough for this level on that showing, but a stupid tackle for the 2nd yellow.  Deserved to go.

Byrne - a less creative but much more disciplined performance from him, positionally he supported Dummigan on defence a lot more than previously.  Can't remember a player we've had who has as good a close control of the ball as he has.

Gardner - risky but I love some of the turns he does to get out of trouble.  I'd call him an all-round decent midfielder for this level albeit unspectacular.  One negative though is that he lets player run past him too easily.

Fane - the perfect foil for the other 3 midfielders.  Yes you don't want him to thread a through ball (or any ball really) but every midfield needs a player who breaks up play as well as he does.  He could get by in the Championship surrounded by decent creative midfielders but looks like he'd struggle in the Conference with the wrong players (looking at you Green and Banks).

Pringle - the Chris Taylor of this year's run-in.  Neat, tidy and smart with the ball and will stay disciplined for the team's shape, but disappointing because we know what he's been able to do previously.  Lacks pace and confidence at the moment and was our weakest starter, but I'd keep faith in him as the balance that he offers to the midfield will be important.

Davies - played really well.  On that showing I'd trust him over Holloway who might be stronger but doesn't know how to use his body as well as Davies does.  His role in the team will get the best out of the Duck and Doyle.

The Duck - hopefully that was a glimpse of things to come.  The first goal showed his trickery whereas the second goal showed his pace with the ball at his feet and finishing.  Their defence looked terrified of him for that 2nd!  He needs to learn to read play a bit better as he missed opportunities to run into space when the midfield were looking for him, but he looks like he'll fill a Doyle-sized hole in the short term.

Wilson - can't think of a more reliable sub to bring on.

Holloway - not a composed performance (that miss at the end would've sent the away end crazy) but put in a shift when we were down to 10 men.  Good back up for Davies.

Obadeyi - last year he looked like one of our better players, this year he looks off-the-pace and sadly not good enough.

Wellens - could've changed things earlier, but he clearly has a good idea of how he wants us to play.  Unless we have the money to challenge at the top of the league and can bring in a manager of that calibre, I'd happily give him time to develop.

Ref - there were some annoying smaller decisions but I thought he got the big one's right.  Although 8 mins added on wasn't good for my heart!

Blackburn - Mowbray comes across as a decent bloke but I don't think he gets the best out of the quality of players he has.

The thing that impressed me was how balanced a team that first XI looked.  I'd trust that team to keep us up.  We are a bit ropey at the back compared to last year but have more than enough going forward.  Davies and Holloway as target men and Doyle and Duckens to play off them, that's an ideal squad of strikers we have there.

Looked at our run-in for the first time today and despite having Scunthorpe and Wigan away in March, it looks quite favourable.  This squad is much better than the previous 2 seasons (Clarke and Ripley apart) so it would be sod's law if we did go down.

Finally, I'm not as worried about us going down as previous seasons because I think AL has the financial backing to make us competitive even if we went down.  But what I would miss is big away days like these.  The fans make it an unbelievable occasion and we wouldn't have quite the same buzz in the 4th tier.

Onwards and Upwards

12 hours ago, underdog said:

BBC manc was a praising Davies a lot and Blackburn fans forum commenting on our big unit upfront causing chaos too.

so I am curious as he seems to be the new whipping boy, how did our fans who went think Davies did today? 

Immense yet again. 

Considering he should finish on 17 or 18 goals I can’t see past him for player of the season if he keeps doing what he’s doing 

Edited by HarryBosch

35 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Some absolute tools in that away end yesterday. Embarrassing some of that shite at the front and never seen anything like fellow latics fans lobbing a full flask of boiling drink (which smashed on some old fella) at their own fans.

The owner of said flask was underwhelmed too.

I suspect the internal temperature was lower than boiling though.

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

They're Oldham fans... Like you

Draw a Venn diagram with two ellipses. Label the left one Oldham fans and the right one dickheads. Some of the selfish, ignorant twats described on here go in the middle. The vast majority of us go in the left hand section.

25 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Draw a Venn diagram with two ellipses. Label the left one Oldham fans and the right one dickheads. Some of the selfish, ignorant twats described on here go in the middle. The vast majority of us go in the left hand section.

Most of those Oldham fans would draw two triangles and a squiggly line.

Edited by L1onheartNew

1 hour ago, opinions4u said:

The owner of said flask was underwhelmed too.

I suspect the internal temperature was lower than boiling though.

The steam was coming off the little girlnand her granddad so it was a tad warmer than you'd like. The owner is fucking coward if they didn't do anything about it. As is anyone who saw who it was.

7 minutes ago, Clifford said:

The steam was coming off the little girlnand her granddad so it was a tad warmer than you'd like. The owner is fucking coward if they didn't do anything about it. As is anyone who saw who it was.

Cunts who would do something like that tend not to pick on someone they think will sort them out.