Wimbledon!

Was that Gardner and Fane getting absolutely done for their second? Poor if so.

What does Holloway have to do to get a start in this team? Doyle can’t get a goal at the moment and we’re not playing the lad who complements his partnering strikers better than anybody else.

We’ve got a couple of kids in defence and all our best players are forwards. Surely we have to go for it a bit more to pick up results. You’ve got to think that just the one win will keep us safe. Perhaps Wellens thinks it will be achieved through a grinding one-goal win...

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

*Shakes head in disbelief*

One minute you criticise the people who call for Fanny to be dropped as choosing 'the easy option' then you choose to not back up your quite obviously selective memory regarding his ability? Lets try without him we might win and get those much needed 3 points.

I would say that it is you and Wellens who are taking 'the easy option.'

Starting Fanny with Byrne on the bench is an absolute disgrace

Edited by ChaddySmoker

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Was that Gardner and Fane getting absolutely done for their second? Poor if so.

What does Holloway have to do to get a start in this team? Doyle can’t get a goal at the moment and we’re not playing the lad who complements his partnering strikers better than anybody else.

We’ve got a couple of kids in defence and all our best players are forwards. Surely we have to go for it a bit more to pick up results. You’ve got to think that just the one win will keep us safe. Perhaps Wellens thinks it will be achieved through a grinding one-goal win...

So would you say that starting with Doyle, Nazon, Davies & Obadeyi is not going for it?

38 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Out of interest who would all the Fane haters on here (no pun intended) play instead of him in his role ? 

Over the season I suggest we'd be in an even worse position than we are if he wasn't in the team. He's not the most gifted player in the squad granted but there are plenty out there who see his value 

Out of the current, available squad in a 4-4-2, Fane is the leading candidate for his role. That is the problem. Omrani hasn’t shown enough for me, despite being significantly better on the ball. I’ve not seen Maouche.

Out of our current squad, with everyone fit, I’d pick Kean Bryan to play the holding midfield role, in a 4-4-2. Edmundson has shown more than enough to warrant keeping his place at centre-half. The problem is Gerrard and Bryan being injured.

I would actually be inclined to play 3-5-2 with a midfield of Gardner, Pringle and Byrne as in a 3 I think those 3 have enough about them do be able to win the ball back to the level required (bearing in mind they won’t lose it as much, as they aren’t carrying Fane with the ball). It suits our available players slightly more too.

If we hadn’t loaned Green out to Crewe I’d be more inclined to pick him, in a 4-4-2, even if he does pass it sideways more often than not. However, loaning some of our midfield was necessary to free up spare wages to bring in others. Green will be on double Fane so it makes sense to loan Green.

As deyres said we only have 2 proper central midfielders so he has to play. If we want to do something more than struggle next season (if we stay up, which I think we will). He has to be improved on. Doing so won’t be hard.

In some ways I wonder if that is exacerbating the problem. As we have limited replacements, and now we are on a long run of playing 2 games a week, especially if Fane is still doing the extra training to improve his skills, I wonder if he is simply knackered. Resting him might be a worthwhile option.

3 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Fishul says 476 - I thought we’d sold out? Surely we were given more than 476 tickets?

It looked pretty full to me apart from a couple of empty seats.The side stand I was in was jam packed and could not get a view of a section of the pitch.

26 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Fishul says 476 - I thought we’d sold out? Surely we were given more than 476 tickets?

There was a capacity crowd. Last year they were over capacity. 

If they can have a capacity crowd and only give us 476 tickets, then I don't blame them for only giving us 476 tickets. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So would you say that starting with Doyle, Nazon, Davies & Obadeyi is not going for it?

3 decent attacking players isn’t going for it

Plus relative to the players on the bench, would you call Obadeyi an attacking selection? I wouldn’t 

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Latics start four strikers and an OWTB poster says we should be going for it a bit more.

Absolutely love it.

This ofcourse is true

However on a more general level just because you have more strikers on the pitch doesnt necessarily mean you are going to win the game. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

57 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The other two being whom?

It doesnt really matter. 2 really good players will win us games in this crap division so long as they are told to play in the correct positions.

I notice at Dale we had a freekick just inside our half and Gerrard passed it diagonally 6 yards to Byrne rather than telling him to piss off towards their area.

Wellens needs to grow a pair.

1 minute ago, ChaddySmoker said:

It doesnt really matter. 2 really good players will win us games in this crap division so long as they are told to play in the correct positions.

I notice at Dale we had a freekick just inside our half and Gerrard passed it diagonally 6 yards to Byrne rather than telling him to piss off towards their area.

Wellens needs to grow a pair.

It kind of does matter if you haven't got the players really though.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The point I make is that attributing the blame solely to Fane is the easy option. No mention of Hamer’s mistake and no mention of Gardner getting in the way, it’s all down to Fane. For some it’s his fault that we are in the position we’re in, no one else.

We can all microanalyse an individual’s performance and at the moment there is a number on here who cannot wait to pick Fane as the man at fault. He has his limits as a footballer but he also has his strengths.  

Everyone has his/her opinion, that’s what this board is all about. Mine is that Ousmane is a vital member of the team and starting without him at the moment would weaken the team. 

That’s all. ?

Spot on. To go into any game, especially when battling the drop without a ball winner, someone who presses well etc is asking for trouble. Teams will walk through us. 

Upgrading on Fane in the summer I accept however.

3 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Spot on. To go into any game, especially when battling the drop without a ball winner, someone who presses well etc is asking for trouble. Teams will walk through us. 

Upgrading on Fane in the summer I accept however.

We’ve conceded 70 goals with him in the team!

6 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

One minute you criticise the people who call for Fanny to be dropped as choosing 'the easy option' then you choose to not back up your quite obviously selective memory regarding his ability? Lets try without him we might win and get those much needed 3 points.

I would say that it is you and Wellens who are taking 'the easy option.'

Starting Fanny with Byrne on the bench is an absolute disgrace

Eh? (again). 

My criticism was of the fans who seem to blame Fane for everything that goes wrong. I backed up why I disagreed with that opinion in my post. The only selective memory belongs to those who ‘forgot’ the part that Hamer and Gardner played in the goals we conceded.

Those who know me also know that in numerous posts I have supported Fane for what he does do - break up the play, get a foot in, and lay the ball off to the nearest Latics player. At no time do I make out that he is anything other than  an effective member of the team.

You say that Richie and I are taking the ‘easy option’?  Nope, still don’t get what you are trying to say. 

As for Byrne; by far the two best performances he has put in recently have been when he has come off the bench.