Biggest attendance you've at BP and biggest away following...

13 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Anyway Harry what’s this thread all about ? Didn’t realise the season was over ! Did we do it ? Was the league walked ? Don’t want to fuck about with the poxy playoffs. 

It makes a welcome change from the more argumentative threads that we have had in the recent weeks and months in fairness, quite possibly a reflection of how the Jack Byrne thread decended somewhat.

2 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I would be bold enough to say the ecstatic reaction in the Chaddy End at Matt Smith's equaliser against Everton was right up there with that when Redfearn got the winner against Sheff Wednesday.

I had an equally ecstatic reaction, which surprised me to be honest, in a hotel bar on Kildare. 

5 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Unfortunately, Earl's clearance and Rick's 'equaliser' must be on the cutting room floor. The ref was Joe Worrall, who was always tagged as a ManU fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEZJDjxjbM

David Currie was never forgiven for not challenging Schmeichel for that 50/50 ball.

It was Currie that was denied. 

26 minutes ago, AndyGortonsMatches said:

It was Currie that was denied. 

Oh yeah.... I do remember it now.... I guess I was less incensed because the play had begun to stop before it fell to Currie. If you think about the luck they had against us over a number of games, it’s beyond a joke.

5 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I would be bold enough to say the ecstatic reaction in the Chaddy End at Matt Smith's equaliser against Everton was right up there with that when Redfearn got the winner against Sheff Wednesday.

Been going on and off since 88, but unfortunately didn't get taken to the Sheff Weds match!

However the Smith goal vs Everton was, for me, a real stand-out moment. I think the atmosphere created by us in the 20 mins or so before Smith scored was something I'd not seen at a home game for a long long time, if ever before. And when the goal came, to me it felt like the fans had really played a part in spurring the team on and getting us back on terms. I'd never really liked The Great Escape chant but it was great how it went on and on and on.

Biggest league away following I've been part of was probably Wigan away in the Dowie era. Nearly 4k? Other than that probably the cup game at Anfield a few years ago.

9 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

The 6-0 V Hudds was my first ever game and i didnt go back until 1985 :) 

I remember Alan Groves ripping their defence to shreds that day. Didn't he score with a screamer from the corner of the box? IIRC, wasn't that the day promotion was confirmed once other results came in? I don't think anyone left the ground before the lap of honour. Unless that was another game, of course. I was living in Hull at the time and working away a lot, so I missed loads of games in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.

12 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Selling out the Rochdale away end a month in advance when we were doing well under LJ is one. 

Whilst I think we officially had about 3,300 there, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually more like 4,000 when you factor in all those in the home ends.

Being a little too young for the Prem years. Probably the two cup games against Liverpool and Everton 6 years back. In the league, when we played Carlisle and it was £2 in. People were sat on the steps from

what I recall. Although both games were probably full of locals who supported Utd. 

This day in 1988. Good following, unbelievable day. What a performance. It screamed,  'we are here and we're really going places.' One of the best ever. Brilliant dynamic midfield at the heart of everything. 

Happy 30th anniversary to all who were there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I was there. In the Platt Lane end with my Dad.

I was there in the main stand with a citeh supporting mate

not sitting on my hands when we scored, but jumping up and looking around to make sure my life was still safe 

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I was there. In the Platt Lane end with my Dad.

Always looks like a poor away following on that vid. Been told there were more there than it looks but there's hardly anyone celebrating!

Edited by longtimeblue

23 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Always looks like a poor away following on that vid. Been told there were more there than it looks but there's hardly anyone celebrating!

Yeah, there were loads at the back.... although not nearly as many as the 1st division game - when Sharp scored 2 about 3 years later. I don’t know how many the stand held, but must’ve been 4,000 there that day.

Edited by lookersstandandy

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Yeah, there were loads at the back.... although not nearly as many as the 1st division game - when Sharp scored 2 a about 3 years later. I don’t know how many the stand held, but must’ve been 4,000 there that day.

It was a decent following in ‘91 but the seats weren’t full. Did we have part of the kippax that day too? Dad’s mate had sorted him tickets but we were sat apart in the Platt Lane, I had empty seats around me so I went and found dad at half time and we sat together to witness our fantastic second half comeback (after we’d nobbled both City fullbacks ?).

The conga round the Platt Lane at 2-1 up was brilliant!

29 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Got me a battering that result, ringing clubcall every two minutes. I had some explaining to do when the quarterly bill arrived about October half term time! 

worth it though! ?

4 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Yeah, there were loads at the back.... although not nearly as many as the 1st division game - when Sharp scored 2 about 3 years later. I don’t know how many the stand held, but must’ve been 4,000 there that day.

Think that Sharpe game was on Sky (red and white away Ajax away)? Have recollections of watching it in The Farrars.

My first experience of Maine Road was as a 10 year old and Kanchelskis putting the boot in after Hughes had winded me a few days earlier. A much better day out a few years later when Kelly saved the pen.

They'll not be massif forever. 

8 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

It was a decent following in ‘91 but the seats weren’t full. Did we have part of the kippax that day too?

Not for that game we didn’t.... I know this because 3 lads from my school - all Citeh fans - were stood in gate giving Rick Holden abuse (caught on telly). I wrote an article for the Trust on my memories of that day. I’ll see if I can dig it out....

Here you go, if anyone fancies a read;

What are your best away day memories? I always used to love going to Maine Road. Apart from the 2 x FA Cup S/F replays in '90 and '94, it was a ground we always did well at. Our post war record at Maine Road was as follows;

vs Man City P9 W4 D3 L2 F14 A11

vs Man Utd P3 W0 D1 L2 F5 A9

Total P12 W4 D4 L4 F19 A20

What date, time and venue was it played at? The one particular game that sticks in my memory was played on 28th Sept '91. Man City away in the old [pre-Premier League] 1st division.

What were your 1st impressions of the ground? I always liked the old stadia, they were quirky. Leeds Road Huddersfield, Burden Park Bolton, Ayresome Park Middlesbrough, Roker Park Sunderland, Victoria Ground Stoke, Baseball Ground Derby, Filbert Street Leicester & Maine Road Manchester were all examples of grounds that had character, interesting structures to look at and a mixture of smells such as Bovril, Pies and Pipe smoke. In most cases, you arrived through a series of streets lined with typical working class terraced housing, from where the club's loyal support lived, unlike today's gallactico supporting 'fans' from towns and cities nowhere near the home ground of the team they support.

Maine Road's Kippax stand was large and noisy and what seemed peculiar, had advertising hoardings on the roof. It had a section reserved for away fans and where I stood on a couple of occasions in '93 and the '94 FA Cup S/F replay and enjoyed the banter of singing to/at our opposition. The Main Stand's roof was of corrugated cantilever architecture and thus interesting to look at, I sat in this stand in the '90 FA Cup S/F and Replay. The North Stand was at the time a modern seated stand and I sat here when Gary Kelly saved a penalty in '99.

However the stand I most enjoyed being in was the old Platt Lane stand, reserved before it's redevelopment for away fans only. It had old wooden slat seats not dissimilar to the Lookers Stand and from which you could stand and move around easily to avoid the pillar's holding the roof up like the Chaddy End. The acoustics always appeared to amplify the noise we made and being not far from home, we always took a decent following. I saw us win 2-1 in '87 and 4-1 in '88 both in the old 2nd division from this stand. The former a brace from LJ's no2 Tommy Wright and from where we embraced the 'yarddog' tag given to us by our former manager Jimmy Frizzell, then on the staff at Man City, for the way he perceived we beat his new employers. The latter included a Roger Palmer hat-trick the last of which was sheer class, a lob from the edge of 18 yard box. Have a look on youtube if you haven't seen them.

What was the attendance and how many did latics take?The attendance was 31,271 according to the record books. If you look at City's attendances that season, their average was 27,691 and our game was only bettered by Man United [38,180], Liverpool [37,322] and Arsenal [32,325]. In those days I don't recall away following's being recorded, however at a guess I'd say it must've been approaching 4,000, maybe more.

What was the atmosphere like? It was early in the season. We were 2nd division champions, back in the top flight for the first time in 68 years, shorn of ourplastic pitch for the first season in 5 years. We hadn't yet won away and had stuttered at home. It was yet unclear how we would fair amongst our more illustrious competitors. We were just happy to be there and so it was a party atmosphere, full of smiling faces, some people dong the conga and lots of singing. It really was electric.

What was the score and scorers? We had signed Graeme Sharp from Everton in the summer for £500k. A player who had won the title twice and had FA Cup and European Medals to his name too. I recall him looking a class act but he hadn't yet found the back of the net. City took the lead in the first half with a goal created byNiall Quinn and finished by David White. We were 2nd best for much of the first 45 mins. After the break, Sir Joe Royle did what he did, which is put into action a formation that included 4 forwards [4-2-4], Ritchie, Marshall, Sharp and Holden ably supported by Milligan and Henry from midfield. We battered them. GraemeSharp scored 2 inside 10 minutes, one a volley from aMarshall cross and the other a header from a Holden cross. We won 2-1. The noise was incredible. It's rare you attend a game where you come from behind and while still celebrating the first goal find yourself with a second to enjoy.

How did we play? From 45 mins to 90 mins we were unstoppable and I felt certain for the first time that we were good enough to be in and stay in the top flight.

What made it so memorable? How did you get there? I was 14 years old at the time. I lived in Droylsden and went to school in Audenshaw, both in Tameside. As a result, I was the only Latics fan in my class and one ofonly a handful in my year. I was surrounded by Reds and Blues of Manchester with an odd scouser thrown in. I had won some respect from my school mates during the 'Pinch-Me' season of 89-90, however coverage of our 90-91 2nd division triumph was limited and so people, kids especially, have short memories. We had alreadylost [1-0] at Old Trafford to a late [they were the luckiest side ever in those days] Brain McClair goal and my City fan mates thought it would be a walk over for them too.

Some of the lads I knew from school were travelling to Maine Road on their own, however my mam wasn't having any of it when I asked her if I could jump on a bus from Droylsden to Moss Side alone, so she dropped me off at Boundary Park and made me travel on the official coaches. I was glad she did, because it made the journey more enjoyable being amongst my own. As we arrived, miraculously I saw 3 boys I went to school withwho gestured to me [not in a nice way] as I looked out of the coach window. Battle lines drawn. What makes it even more interesting is that these 3 boys appear on the TV highlights of the game afterwards hurling abuse at Rick Holden just before he put in the cross for GraemeSharp's winner. You couldn't have scripted it any better.

What did you do pre/post match? Post match Iremember arriving back home and immediately going out onto a park with mates trying to emulate Graeme Sharp's volley and looking forward to going to school again on Monday morning!

• Like 2