League Tables 06.11.2018

Bristolatic

No points were scored for Latics scorer (because there wasn't one) and no attendance points were picked up anywhere either. The effect of iFollow for a tenner reducing the attendance? Maybe.

@JoeP moves up a couple of places in the Premier League thanks to top scoring with 8 points. @GravityGrave drops to bottom place. Have a little sympathy for @SAV, whose prediction was discounted as he posted at 19:36. Maybe a bit harsh, but it has to be, as others may want the deadline extending to two minutes and so on. He had the correct score too, so missed out on 8 points.

In the Championship, 8 points was also the top score, picked by @yarddog73 and @Runningman, both of whom climb 4 places, the former into an automatic promotion slot. @Harry Bosch stays top and the bottom three remain the same. @aidan_latics and @daniel did not make a prediction.

Very low scoring in League 1, with @Dave_Og doing the best with just 4 points and maintaining 1st place. There's no change to the top four or bottom six. @Lee Sinnott and @oafcprozac again didn't post, so maybe they've decided to call it a day. If they come back, there could be a recovery to match Lazarus.

I'll put my feet up for a week or so, now.

Premier League

wkYpq4W.jpg?2

3PttrCC.jpg?2

Championship

F9hONqX.jpg?2

oKSb4Hn.jpg?2

League 1

5w4BOzZ.jpg?2

KWxeaZl.jpg?2

39 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

For discussion again at the end of the season, with a tough attendance to predict for this game, I still maintain @youngen should get some bonus points for being the closest.

I really don't want to be awkward or argumentative, but I'm definitely not in favour of this.

@youngen was 122 out. Where does it stop? Some weeks, you'll see no end of predictors getting near and gaining points. Other weeks, like this one, no one gets close. So are we saying, only an extra point(s) for being closest when no one scores attendance points, or do we give extras for next closest when points have been scored? 

It takes me long enough to produce it in its current form without adding extra equations and calculations. I know further formulas can be worked into the spreadsheets but, from my point of view, it's taking it too far and making it over-complicated. 

In all honesty, it's not something I want to do and I certainly don't want to involve anyone else sharing the responsibility; that would leave it open to errors. I can manage enough of those on my own, thanks.

Yep, I'm a miserable old sod.

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

giphy.gif

:lol:

You two should be on grumpy old men.

While I’m at it..... if a Predictor Predicts 4-1 and gets it right, I think they should get more points than someone who predicts 1-1 (HT 0-0) - yeah come at me @disjointed - as it would incentivise more creative predictions.

....but I suspect you pair of old stick in the muds will kibosh that progressive modern and creative idea too. :tongue1:

Edited by lookersstandandy

11 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

While I’m at it..... if a Predictor Predicts 4-1 and gets it right, I think they should get more points than someone who predicts 1-1 (HT 0-0) - yeah come at me @disjointed - as it would incentivise more creative predictions.

....but I suspect you pair of old stick in the muds will kibosh that progressive modern and creative idea too. :tongue1:

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Is that a nice way of saying, 'Maybe you should stop coming up with shit ideas"?!

A little ?. There might be all sorts of ideas how the scoring could change - some good, some like Andy’s. Some of them might be implementable. Some are Andy’s. But none of them are going to be implemented in the middle of a season - especially Andy’s ?

43 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I've heard it all now, creative predictions. 

It's a Prediction league not Strictly Come Dancing. Who decides what is creative, for a team that struggles to put the ball in the net 1 goal is extravagant. 

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

While I’m at it..... if a Predictor Predicts 4-1 and gets it right, I think they should get more points than someone who predicts 1-1 (HT 0-0) - yeah come at me @disjointed - as it would incentivise more creative predictions. Which is a complete waste of time, effort and energy if they're wrong. It's all very well and good predicting 4-1 if the result is 2-2; you'd might as well predict 7-3. Next. Just how bloody complicated do you want to make this? I used to like you!

....but I suspect you pair of old stick in the muds will kibosh that progressive modern and creative idea too. :tongue1: It's not creative. See above. :tongue1: back at yer

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Kinell, don’t you start.... I do, every year.... and these two - like the FA - shut it down without so much as a vote. FIFY.

In any case, it's moi wot does the bloody thing, so if I don't wanna do it, I won't. So there. :lol: It takes nigh on two hours to do it all now as, following a request, we added in all the players' individual scores for each game and then followed that up with adding in the weekly totals. What more do you want? Slavery went out with William Wilberforce! :whip:

1 hour ago, maddog said:

Maybe we should have a discussion close season. Absolutely no fucking value in it mid-season when the rules have been set. ? Well said, young lady. I'm open to suggestions (as I'm sure Steve is), but they have to be workable. No point changing for the sake of it. :deal:

43 minutes ago, disjointed said:

And while we're at it, there are enough points on offer for attendances (thank you, I agree), being the best of a bad bunch shouldn't gain you anything. Sometimes in life you just have to accept that you have had a mare, no pats on the back for being shit. Correct. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Look what it's done to the offside rule.

However, here's a novel idea. Let's liken it to a football theme. Currently, clubs get 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and shag all for a defeat. So one of the suits at the FA says "Let's make it 4 points for a win, 2 points for a 0-0 or 1-1draw, 3 points for a 3-3 or 4-4 or even higher scoring draw, 1 point for a one goal defeat and shag all if you get hammered."

The (pointless) possibilities are endless. See what I did there? 

If anyone disagrees with the red bits, come and 'ave some. :fighting::grin:  Alternatively, sensible ideas to be sent under cover of a plain, brown envelope stuffed with coin (or, preferably, notes) of the realm. No old fivers or tenners accepted. :naughty:

Edited by Bristolatic
I got the FA suit's points wrong. See how easy it is to be confused?

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

And then you found out we don't play until Monday, I imagine? That's 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

In the context of having watched Latics for half a century or more I'll live with wasting five minutes...

Edited by Dave_Og

Anytime there is a discussion around the rules I always feel obliged to request cup seeding, or pre-qualification. You shouldn't qualify for the 2nd round of the cup by beating 3 people who haven't predicted in months and losing to the one who actually predicts. (I'd guess it wouldn't be more work for you Bristol either). I'd be happy to contribute to the extra admin required too. 

Think the scoring system is fine, especially now the anomaly over own-goals has been settled (although perhaps a bonus point for predicting no scorer when Latics don't score would be fairer but I can see how that is a lot more work for the accumulator). 

For someone to request extra points for creative scoring when they usually predict very uncreative scores (and even goes the 'Full Disjointed' more often than Disjointed) is simply weird. 

44 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Anytime there is a discussion around the rules I always feel obliged to request cup seeding, or pre-qualification. You shouldn't qualify for the 2nd round of the cup by beating 3 people who haven't predicted in months and losing to the one who actually predicts. (I'd guess it wouldn't be more work for you Bristol either). I'd be happy to contribute to the extra admin required too. 

Think the scoring system is fine, especially now the anomaly over own-goals has been settled (although perhaps a bonus point for predicting no scorer when Latics don't score would be fairer but I can see how that is a lot more work for the accumulator). 

For someone to request extra points for creative scoring when they usually predict very uncreative scores (and even goes the 'Full Disjointed' more often than Disjointed) is simply weird. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

It takes you two hours?!?

Pretty much. It only takes a few minutes to put the actual match results in (stick it in once in each of the divisions then copy and paste alongside everyone's name).

Believe it or not, it then takes up to 45 minutes to get everyone's predictions typed in, checking they've not been posted or edited after the cut off and making sure I've put them in correctly. (Sometimes, I'll type them in while I'm listening to the match commentary. Multi-tasking, you see)

It's all then copied from a large spreadsheet, that calculates the tables, into what you see, but they have to be converted to jpegs and uploaded to a host so I can enhance them and make the sizes uniform. They just don't look very good otherwise.

Then it's all copied into the post that you see. It's surprising how long all that takes when it has to be done for each of the 6 tables that are posted.

Oh, and there's a 15 minute coffee break half way through, then a quick write up to start it all off. So, yes, best part of a couple of hours. 

What I would say is that I don't try to race through it because, if I get it wrong, it isn't always a two minute job to put it right.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

@Stevie_J does the Cup ones, I just do the League games. 

Actually, strange as it may seem, that would be easy, but for one thing. If I enter "No Scorer" in the actual match result as I do with the players' predictions, the formula would automatically give that player 3 points, the same as a named scorer. I'm not sure how I could tell the bloody thing to only give 1 point when the formula applies throughout the scorer column.

My brain hurts.

Even you Ben, who had I down for a rational sort of person, is falling into the Disjointed misnomer . My predictions have less 1-1 and 0-0 than many others,

Lookersstandandy is creating a monster that doesn't exist.