Press Conference

5 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Maybe some people don't see the harm.

As many of AL's signings worked as Bunn's or any of our previous managers for every shit one of AL's I could name about 5 from the last 5 years that have been worse

I'd say those people who don't see the harm either don't understand what a winning team looks like or have completely forgot what one even feels like.

I'm not blaming them for our failings but a symptom of what has happened to the club over the last 25 years that people will accept that we will sign players such as Vera, Menig, Omrani, Sefil, Moimbe and to a slightly lesser extent Branger, Maouche, and Sylla (how much have we pissed up the wall on salaries between that lot) because this is what we should expect.

• Like 1

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

I'd say those people who don't see the harm either don't understand what a winning team looks like or have completely forgot what one even feels like.

I'm not blaming them for our failings but a symptom of what has happened to the club over the last 25 years that people will accept that we will sign players such as Vera, Menig, Omrani, Sefil, Moimbe and to a slightly lesser extent Branger, Maouche, and Sylla (how much have we pissed up the wall on salaries between that lot) because this is what we should expect.

Also this constant influx of staff and players closely linked to the owner is bound to lead to splits in the camp. As we have no money we will need a real solid unit to move forward.

Having players reporting over the managers head to the owner, problems with wages and staff being laid off we are not going to get a tight in it together group. That's why we ended up going down and that is why we will be struggling again this season.

There is not a single person in that club who will challenge the owner. He's removed all the staff with power and he has released the only leader in the squad.

• Like 9

LB might actually be a decent coach and I'm interested in seeing how it goes. It's the sideshow that I'm bothered about.

What do you reckon is going to happen WRT team talks etc.? Ranting at half time in broken English or full on French ranting with someone interpreting?

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

Ex premier league established top level player David Dunn? Should AL sign anyone with that sort of background I will happily give him £1000 for a season ticket.

What if he signed a grossly unfit egotistical WASTEMAN?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leeslover said:

What if he signed a grossly unfit egotistical WASTEMAN?

Googled the slang so I can respond. 

Dunn was worth a punt and many thought / think he could have done a good job once fit. Talent wise he was miles ahead of what we had. Shame we won't know as he clearly wanted the managers job.

Our current owner is signing people he knows like Vera and Syla who are nowhere near the standard. 

28 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Have you seen him play ?

I'm quietly impressed with him but perhaps my standards aren't as exacting as yours.

I'm pretty confident he will progress.

I have seen him play yes. Not very good. I'm pretty confident he'll progress to the Bulgarian 3rd division when his contract ends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clifford said:

Ex premier league established top level player David Dunn? Should AL sign anyone with that sort of background I will happily give him £1000 for a season ticket.

Did you watch Dunn play for us? 

• Like 1

Just now, Clifford said:

Yes. Not match fit but could control and pass a ball so certainly worth a punt as i said. He didn't pay off but he was a better punt than the shite AL has brought in.

Without question the fattest player I have seen play for us. No self respect and no respect for the people paying his wages. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Without question the fattest player I have seen play for us. No self respect and no respect for the people paying his wages. 

Not as fat as Lee Croft at Mossley pre season. No chance but yes Dunn didn't come fit. If he was fit and playing how would we have got him?

I'd rather have an owner taking a punt on an unfit Dunn or Baxter over Syla or Omrani.

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I remember Mike Bernard in the 70’s being a little round 

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

Yes. Not match fit but could control and pass a ball so certainly worth a punt as i said. He didn't pay off but he was a better punt than the shite AL has brought in.

Started 4 games for us. Was subbed in every game bar his last start, having been a sub in the majority of games that season. 

When he was manager he brought himself on once after only a cursory warm-up and clearly not fit. He clearly hadn't been heavily involved in training since his last start (Kelly was sacked after that game).

Famously quoted as saying not even Mourinho or Fergie could keep us up. Shez managed it with a game to spare. 

He was an arrogant twat who wasn't as good at football as he thought. 

He might have shown something given time that we barely had but he was at his fittest when he was the manager, yet didn't pick himself. 

His signing while presumably being all above board was on a par with, or dodgier than almost all the signings made since AL was involved. 

• Like 1

Just seen the press conference and thought LB came across as a very genuine and humble man. Now, that doesn't guarantee success but he is a likeable bloke and, hopefully, people will give him a fair crack of the whip. It's clear there is an intention to develop young talent to "sell on". No problem with that but it is a little strange that he's only on a 12 month contract. Nobody can do that in 12 months. 

Perhaps the owners are sick of paying compensation to managers they sack, so he's been given a reassurance of a longer contract, providing the wheel doesn't fall off very quickly.

The fella's got a very tough task but I wish him the very best.

12 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Just seen the press conference and thought LB came across as a very genuine and humble man. Now, that doesn't guarantee success but he is a likeable bloke and, hopefully, people will give him a fair crack of the whip. It's clear there is an intention to develop young talent to "sell on". No problem with that but it is a little strange that he's only on a 12 month contract. Nobody can do that in 12 months. 

Perhaps the owners are sick of paying compensation to managers they sack, so he's been given a reassurance of a longer contract, providing the wheel doesn't fall off very quickly.

Don’t think there’s any sane Latics fan wishing him anything but the best but I can’t help feeling that he is going to be looking very dejected on a wet Boundary Park day about 5 games in with the Main Stand giving him words he will probably be glad he can’t understand.

it just feels very Darren Kelly ish but in French

** I also believe he will be the last person who should shoulder the blame 

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

9 hours ago, OAFC1984 said:

Don’t think there’s any sane Latics fan wishing him anything but the best but I can’t help feeling that he is going to be looking very dejected on a wet Boundary Park day about 5 games in with the Main Stand giving him words he will probably be glad he can’t understand.

it just feels very Darren Kelly ish but in French

** I also believe he will be the last person who should shoulder the blame 

I agree, I hope it works. But he has put himself in an extremely weak position, witness the "team spirit" prompt by the brother.

He'd run out of clubs to work for in the Middle East. 

He's not Darren Kelly in the fact he is very experienced, despite his top level experience being eons ago. Well 2 spells, half an eon and an eon ago. 

All his past clubs seem to have had money, something lacking here, so he is going to have to draw on skills from a very long time ago. It doesn't fil me with confidence. 

• Like 1