Squad movements, winter 2019/20

Think a lot of pro's will be more than happy to keep playing on short term contracts when this bloody thing blows over as all clubs will be in the same boat.

Giving 2-3 year relatively expensive contracts may well prove to be the exception rather than the  rule.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a table in The Times the other day that had twelve L2 clubs having more players than us with contracts expiring in June. 

Seems almost a done deal that this season is over at our level and who knows when another one starts. Rules on the transfer windows and loans will have to be changed. 

B teams seem a very likely consequence of this to me. 

6 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Sorry but I can't really fault the club on not giving contracts out to anyone in the present climate.

It may well prove to be a mistake but to commit yourself to added expense at this point in time doesn't seem on.

If it does transpire into being and error it's one of this crowd's smaller ones !

ey

Won't be if the go for millions later in their career. They won't be on big money here anyway.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

There was a table in The Times the other day that had twelve L2 clubs having more players than us with contracts expiring in June. 

Seems almost a done deal that this season is over at our level and who knows when another one starts. Rules on the transfer windows and loans will have to be changed. 

B teams seem a very likely consequence of this to me. 

I haven't seen a B team in a league sine Latics reserves were in the Lancashire Combination in the 1960s.  I quite enjoyed those games.

17 hours ago, BP1960 said:

ey

Won't be if the go for millions later in their career. They won't be on big money here anyway.

I've not got your experience in these matters but they don't seem to be an above average batch this season ( they were well beaten at Curzon Ashton ) so keeping only the odd one or two seems sensible in the current situation.

7 hours ago, Kinney10 said:

Some nice comments about Lewis & I’ve shown him them...thanx they’re greatly appreciated ..he’ll bounce back from this setback...👌👍👊

Football has hundreds of examples of players, released or rejected by their clubs at a young age , who went on to better things. 

Those that do come back must have talent, a positive attitude and work hard. Chelsea released Chris Mepham, Declan Rice And Eddie Nketiah for example. While Brighton rejected Roy Keane and more recently Arsenal released a certain Harry Kane after a year in it’s Academy!

Good luck Lewis. Head down and work hard and if you’re good enough you will bounce back. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:03 PM, Dave_Og said:

Seems unlikely that they're big mistakes. For every George Edmondson there's a few hundred or more that don't come to anything. 

I don't suppose it was possible to give out new contracts and then furlough the recipients immediately. 

Some have bags of talent, but not the determination.

Happens with every youth team. I can't understand why kids who have got that far throw it all away.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Some have bags of talent, but not the determination.

Happens with every youth team. I can't understand why kids who have got that far throw it all away.

Determination can be as natural as talent.  Not everyone has it.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Determination can be as natural as talent.  Not everyone has it.

True. When I worked in Solihull, a son of one of the cleaners was (by someone who had seen him play) a tidy player. He had been on Villa's books but they released him and Birmingham signed him up, and they also released him. Both clubs told him he had the talent, but the wrong attitude and was lazy. He then played for an amateur team, but they soon got fed up of him not turning up for training and messing about. He came to work with his mother now and then and seemed a decent lad, so the company did him and his mother a favour and took him on to help us out with some basic jobs. Unfortunately he kept disappearing from the office and messing about so we let him go. That was another great chance he had to get into IT he through away. The last I heard was that he was helping out in his father's scaffolding business. However I wouldn't fancy depending on any scaffolding that he had put up. What a waste, but there must be lots of others like this.

21 hours ago, al_bro said:

True. When I worked in Solihull, a son of one of the cleaners was (by someone who had seen him play) a tidy player. He had been on Villa's books but they released him and Birmingham signed him up, and they also released him. Both clubs told him he had the talent, but the wrong attitude and was lazy. He then played for an amateur team, but they soon got fed up of him not turning up for training and messing about. He came to work with his mother now and then and seemed a decent lad, so the company did him and his mother a favour and took him on to help us out with some basic jobs. Unfortunately he kept disappearing from the office and messing about so we let him go. That was another great chance he had to get into IT he through away. The last I heard was that he was helping out in his father's scaffolding business. However I wouldn't fancy depending on any scaffolding that he had put up. What a waste, but there must be lots of others like this.

The Lee Trundle story is one of a very talented  player who wasted his youth, drifting  into non league to along  others Stalybridge Celtic and realised at the age Iof  24 if he applied himself could make it into league football.

You don't often see skills like this, even at top leve, l and it makes you wonder how many others lost their way..

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Inspiral_Carpet said:

End of this season according to list on page 1 so looks like he’s been told he’s not being offered a new deal.

I'm guessing we had an option as that's how it seems to 'work' these days.  I also imagine that in normal circumstances we'd have taken it up

1 hour ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Christopher Missilou has announced that he’s left Latics on Instagram.

Does he actually say he's off or just the tag on the image " we will see each other again?"

Could mean he's leaving or just missing his teammates?

Oops didn't see the bottom bit 😂

Good luck Krys!

EY7q000X0AEmaHR.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm guessing we had an option as that's how it seems to 'work' these days.  I also imagine that in normal circumstances we'd have taken it up

His contract ran until June 2020 and I don’t think that there was an option. However I do think, as you say, that in normal circumstances we might have offered him a further contract. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of players not retained and then offered contracts later on.

The reality is we have no idea when there's going to be an income to pay anybody but neither does anybody else. There aren't going to be a lot of free agents being snapped up. It will just be a free for all once clubs get an indication of when we'll be playing again, i.e. in front of fans.

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of players not retained and then offered contracts later on.

The reality is we have no idea when there's going to be an income to pay anybody but neither does anybody else. There aren't going to be a lot of free agents being snapped up. It will just be a free for all once clubs get an indication of when we'll be playing again, i.e. in front of fans.

But if they do go for behind closed doors with some sort of central funding there'll be an even bigger scramble

On 5/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Really hope they don't take the easy option of B teams as that would finish me with football and I dare say I wouldn't be alone.

It's pretty simple really, just live within your means. Make a sensible budget and stick to it !!

Always makes me smile this. We claim we want a well run club but then very quickly get bored when the club says ‘we can’t sign him, we have to live within our means.’ Fans don’t tend to care where money comes from until it isn’t there. We all have shifting morals when it suits us. 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Always makes me smile this. We claim we want a well run club but then very quickly get bored when the club says ‘we can’t sign him, we have to live within our means.’ Fans don’t tend to care where money comes from until it isn’t there. We all have shifting morals when it suits us. 

Not me, it's the way to the Poor House...........or administration ! .

Every business in the country has financial constraints, I don't see why football should be any different, and current events may prove me right.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, mick26 said:

Just need a premier League club to want Emmerson or Williams for example.

Bury were doing very well with youth products though so not every club are as good (lucky) as Dale have been.

Are we rich now?

Archived