Squad movements, winter 2019/20

Fair to say I've lost a bit of love for the club with this season's shambles, but here we go anyway.

Squad

1. Gary Woods (2021)

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

6. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option, on loan to Radcliffe for the season)

29. Tomáš Egert (2020 plus option)

31. David Wheater (2020, option to 2021 reportedly triggered)

33. Carl Piergianni (half-season loan from Salford)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

57. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (half-season loan from Manchester Utd)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

8. Filipe Morais (full-season loan from Crawley)

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020)

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

23. Christian N'Guessan (half-season loan from Burnley)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

25. Chris McCann (2020 plus option)

26. Jonny Smith (full-season loan from Bristol City)

43. Reece Gaskell (youth)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

21. Marvin Kokos (2021 plus option)

27. Kielen Adams (2020 plus option, on loan to Chorley)

37. Lewis McKinney (youth, on loan to Runcorn)

53. Zac Emmerson (youth)

54. Mani Dieseruvwe (half-season loan from Salford plus option to sign)

55. Zak Dearnley (2020 plus option)

56. Danny Rowe (2021)

Departures since the summer

4. Sonhy Sefil

5. Ashley Smith-Brown (loan ended)

9. Urko Vera

10. Chris O'Grady

13. Florian Gonzales

14. Jonathan Benteke

14. Harry Robinson

22. Dominic McHale

22. David Jones

23. Callum Dolan

24. Ousmane Fané

28. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro

33. Chris Eagles

39. Gregor Zabret (loan ended)

Note: youth players are only listed if they played first team minutes.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We've worked very hard in the past 24/48 hours to secure another player who we were very close to getting, but that's not going to happen until Monday now."

"We need to make a lot of changes and we're doing that, some players have moved on already and we're trimming the squad down. We've got to try and bring better quality players in."

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/january/03012020-maamria-pre-cheltenham-away/

What worries me is, if we've binned a few off, did we have to pay off their contracts and what did that cost? Talk about chucking good money after bad.

If we've had to pay off contracts to the dross that Mo brought in that never got a sniff of first team football, it borders on criminal. Think how much good might have been done for the same money if we didn't have a pair of fuckwits in charge. Plus Detective Shitpeas.

Pure speculation, of course, but isn't it a possibility?

Not paying a wage to Crusoe?

We’ll still have to come to some sort of financial settlement with contracted players!

I would say Wheater’s exit would be the only one that would leave us better off, as for the rest, they’re not going to walk away are they?

Would anyone rather they stayed? Can't undo them having signed in the first place, but if there was any indication that at least the worst mistakes were being paid off and fucked off I'd see the tiniest glimpse of a silver lining. Not nearly enough, of course, but something.

20 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

A lot of people underestimating Wheater's importance, I fear.

Few games of Egert and Iacovitti at centre-half should be enough to remind people, though... 

Or we get someone else in who gives half a fuck.

21 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

A lot of people underestimating Wheater's importance, I fear.

Few games of Egert and Iacovitti at centre-half should be enough to remind people, though... 

Maybe his ego is getting in the way of dropping to this level, even he knows he's far better than this lot 🤨

My theory on Wheater is that he got shit on by Bolton and everything that happened there and got sold a big promotion push by AL. The reality was then very different and the working conditions are nothing like what he’s used to. So he’s been counting down the days til the January window opening since soon after he joined. Probably trying to avoid getting injured too. 

“For me personally the club is in a good way,” he said.

“The staff are good, the players are good and obviously some of the fans aren’t happy with the owners.

“I don’t really understand why, even though I’ve not really looked into it or anything.

“For me, the owners have been fantastic while I’ve been here so for me it’s been good.”

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Inside knowledge or just a feeling?

Maamria said post match today that the signing yesterday of a CB had been delayed but should be completed by Monday. It’s more than likely Wheater’s replacement unless it’s an addition for injury prone Egert.

10 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

“For me personally the club is in a good way,” he said.

“The staff are good, the players are good and obviously some of the fans aren’t happy with the owners.

“I don’t really understand why, even though I’ve not really looked into it or anything.

“For me, the owners have been fantastic while I’ve been here so for me it’s been good.”

He’s hardly going to rock the boat and end up training with the academy now is he?

Archived